Should the remote shows be audio only?

I'm an audio listener always, so the show being on video isn't meaningful to me, but after listening to this week's show and the tech problems and video lag, it occurred to me that they really could just do audio only for now. The Skype issues are typically with video which demands a lot more bandwidth than sound. Maybe they could still be showing photos, slides, whatever but have everyone but Craig just have an audio feed. Maybe it wouldn't be quite as interesting to watch but do you really need to see everyone's faces. What's important is what they're saying.

I listened to the podcast yesterday when I was taking groceries to family. I thought the same thing. But I get some people like it being on youtube because that format is easier for them to listen. But, like you, I am with the idea of dumping video and just keeping it an audio discussion only. I don't need to see everyone's dimly lit honeymoon suites. :D ;) :P

I guess my only question with this thread after reading some responses, is when did anyone put this to a vote? Nobody did. YouTube earns revenue that Dreams needs during this situation. Video should happen and probably will continue to happen even if there is a little lag.

Last edited:

I guess my only question with this thread after reading some responses, is when did anyone put this to a vote? Nobody did. YouTube earns revenue that Dreams needs during this situation. Video should happen and probably will continue to happen even if there is a little lag.

You can put audio on YouTube as well. For example, this...

...is just audio playing behind a static image.

It might be a good idea to know what you're talking about before you attempt to lecture everyone from atop your high horse.

The team has often made changes to the show based on fan feedback here on the boards and on Facebook. I started the thread to see what others thought about this. Obviously, a lot of people agree with me, and a lot don't, which is fine.

If we're giving thoughts about delivery platform, mine is whatever brings comfort and resilience to the DIS team. For some folks, having to-do tasks is a helpful application of their energy and time. For other folks, taking time to rest and recover is better, and there's always folks in-between.
If sorting through tech issues is a welcome task that helps to focus energy in a personally productive way, then great! It's clear the community welcomes the efforts. If not, and the DIS team wants to adjust the presentation/ platform, then I support this with oodles of confetti and muppet-like parade in my iso-bubble room.

Hang in there, y'all!

It hasn't been a disaster with the videos...just mainly the one time with The Martin's feed. I also think the video helps everyone mentally now they are stuck inside...helps to keep a normal routine. The only way I would vote for audio only is if it is just too much extra work on Craig and the gang. Now that it is already up and running, it probably isn't.

Heck, I saw this thread as a "helpful suggestion" to Pete & Co. A way of saying "I appreciate the effort, but with the trouble you're having, if it makes it easier on you then just do an audio only version".
Thank you. Exactly my point. Don't feel tied to the video format if it just isn't technically possible right now. Folks will understand.

I would be disappointed if they went to straight audio. I am definitely more of a visual person and I appreciate seeing their expressions and reactions as they are discussing things. That would be lost in an audio only show and I doubt I would tune in nearly as much if they went that route. Is the tech perfect? No, but it's not so bad that it really bothers me. Most of the time it's been fine with just a slight lag here and there. I so appreciate what they are doing right now. Their videos are a welcome distraction at a time when we really need that in our lives.

Besides, with audio only I wouldn't get to watch Pete and Craig's dogs in the background!! :goodvibes

You can keep the video, it's fine. To those that are struggling with bandwidth, they just need a better internet plan if available. Streaming live video is a bandwidth hog no matter what program you use.

Good lightweight web app is Google Duo, but it probably sucks for recording.

I've been paying attention to the thread, but I can just say there's no way we're ditching video. If it was a complete train wreck then maybe, but the feedback we've seen more than anything is we are making a bigger deal about the lag and glitches than we should be and I agree. The problem is individual user's internet as YesterDark pointed out. 5 MB/s is just not enough to be the one hosting the stream and also maintaining a Skype connection. That's why Fiasco looks fine when he's alone with his Tier Shows, but couldn't maintain the stream for the Dining Show or DVC Show. I have strong internet, but every now and then we're still going to see some lag because I'm not on Pete's internet that's pushing 100 MB/s upload. Corey really wanted a better backdrop which is why he was on his laptop that one show and having to rely on WiFi and then after the show ended he sat down at his main machine where he's hardwired to the internet and he had a perfect stream. We can get this to be a near perfect show for the circumstance we are in, but we'll most likely have it down by the time we can go back to normal.

They still upload the audio to (at least my) Spotify feed, so both version do exist, technically. I don't feel too strongly either way, but I like the video no matter what.

I've been paying attention to the thread, but I can just say there's no way we're ditching video. If it was a complete train wreck then maybe, but the feedback we've seen more than anything is we are making a bigger deal about the lag and glitches than we should be and I agree. The problem is individual user's internet as YesterDark pointed out. 5 MB/s is just not enough to be the one hosting the stream and also maintaining a Skype connection. That's why Fiasco looks fine when he's alone with his Tier Shows, but couldn't maintain the stream for the Dining Show or DVC Show. I have strong internet, but every now and then we're still going to see some lag because I'm not on Pete's internet that's pushing 100 MB/s upload. Corey really wanted a better backdrop which is why he was on his laptop that one show and having to rely on WiFi and then after the show ended he sat down at his main machine where he's hardwired to the internet and he had a perfect stream. We can get this to be a near perfect show for the circumstance we are in, but we'll most likely have it down by the time we can go back to normal.
Glad to hear that you're going to keep it up. Since we're all at home, our family has been joining in live and we usually aren't able to do that. Listening to you guys chat is such a wonderful and much-needed distraction. Thanks!

Who is doing the Skype hosting and who is doing the recording/capture?

Your audio and video quality is pristine, Pete sometimes gets fragged but is usually great and everyone else has issues from time to time. Ryno is probably third best.

I think, they need to work out their technical issues. Skype might not be the best option. Maybe they should try Zoom.

And I wonder what bufferbloat looks like for everyone.

I was thinking that too when I was watching these shows. I feel like Zoom would be more conducive to what they are doing then Skype.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter