Should we brave Christmas at WDW?

krishouse

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone,
We have been planning our Christmas 2005 trip for quite awhile now, we have booked dinner for Mvmcp gotten tickets for the 20th of December and secured our reservations from Dec17-27 but I am really getting cold feet!
I realize that it will be crowded and we better be organized with our PS's.
But I hate it when rude people are pushing and shoving my children which luckily has never happened to us at WDW but am hearing about from others experience. I am reading a lot of information from other boards and posters who are advising people to change dates.
Should I just soak up the tickets for Mvmcp and change our ressies for Jan2-10? I am seriously driving my Husband crazy!

Please help :cheer2:
thank you
Kristin

you know you will be back - so if this trip is horrible - once the crowds arrive on what the 23rd? just plan to do things around your resorts.

or just go for the magical hours. if everyone has annual passes.

I would think you would be OK until Dec. 23, when the real Christmas rush would start. So, the first 6 days would be sort of crowded, the rest would be awful. You could spend that time doing other things that the newcomers would be interested in, like mini-golf, or staying at your resort and relaxing. Then you wouldn't lose the money for your MVMCP.

I would keep it! Christmas at Disney is great. It does get to be a little crazy between Christmas and New Year, but as the other posters have said, your first few days should not be so bad. We have found it to be no more crowded than the summer at that point, and the weather is MUCH better :goodvibes Since you have been before, you already know what to do and how to plan :wizard: . I have to admit that I don't want to go into MK on Christmas day again (it was a zoo when we did it a few years ago), but we always plan a trip before Christmas, partly just to enjoy the atmosphere. I love to sit and watch the main fountain in EPCOT for a while (it is choreographed with Christmas music). No lines, no waiting :)

Where are you staying? Many of the resorts have things going on which are a lot of fun.

In the interests of full disclosure, we are going from December 17th-20th, so I am clearly biased :teeth: Come to think of it, maybe I should tell everyone how horrible it is :earboy2:

Hope this helps!
Mike

There's nothing like Christmas in Disney....however, we always leave before the 25th. Really anytime around Christmas is great.

What is Mvmcp?

It's very crowded at times, but it is such a magical time that we love going.

We have never actually been there on Christmas, but we used to leave 12/26 and stay through New Years and it was WONDERFUL!!!! We were even there for the millineum!!! Yes, there are crowds but the ambiance there is priceless!!! Just stay calm and go with the flow. "Hakuna Matata"!!!! Good Luck and Have a Great Time!!!!! :sunny:

Hi
We will be staying at a 1brm at Boardwalk villas, is there tmuch to do there for the holidays?
We are still pondering...

thanks again
Kristin

As long as you are going to be there, I might suggest that on the 24th, you switch to Vero. We had a wonderful Christmas eve and day there after somewhat hectic running around WDW the week before. It also felt much more like a traditional Xmas being at Vero on the actual holiday. MVMCP is a blast.

Hi! My family and I will be among the throngs of people going at Christmas too and we can't wait! We are going Dec. 20-28 with tickets to the MVMCP on the 20th and staying at Saratoga Springs. We know it will be crowded, but we heard the same thing about Easter and we still had a great time. I'd say go and enjoy the season, it will be magical! :earsboy:

Have you considered a DCL cruise? We are doing the Wonder from Dec 22 to Dec 26 (a 4 day over the weekend, which is rare for DCL). It will actually be less expensive for us to cruise than to stay at DVC during that time period.

Thanks everyone one for your help, i do now feel better about going at Christmas, it is our 6th trip and we really could try to mix things up and try to do the unconventional Disney things like veg out at the pool.
I never really thought of Vero though, how far is it from WDW?
My husband would like to wait to cruise until our youngest (16months)is older.
thanks
Kristin

We will be at BWV during the first part of your trip. My plan is to hit the parks in the morning and if the crowds are too much, head back and hang by the pool (weather pending). We went in March, the week before Easter, and if we survived that, this will seem easy.

We did the timing you're talking about before. Actuall,y it was GREAT all the way up to xmas eve. Now, xmas day was ANOTHER story! :earseek: I've never seen so much humanity in the MK. We've done early January too, and it was a treat -- very low crowds! -- and we enjoyed it immensely but.... it wasn't Christmas! There's just something WONDERFUL about xmas in WDW! So go, enjoy the parks in the early days of your trip, and then plan some unique things for "prime time" later in your trip. I can easily spend a day at DTD, or browsing the resorts, or hanging out at the resort! Do the hidden Mickey tour at VWL; have tea at the GF; visit the resorts and vote on who has the best decorations; take a park tour, play mini golf; make some nice meal reservations at a favorite place... One time we gave our boys the map and spent an afternoon cruising every aspect of Disney Transportation! The "destination" was the actual journey! We did the monorail, the boats, the buses - you name it, we rode it!

Just soak up that Disney atmosphere and ENJOY!

STAY AWAY ON CHRISTMAS DAY! The other days should be fine. They usually end up closing some of the parks on Christmas day due to being at capacity, especially MK. Plan some other fun things. My friends plan a Disney scavenger hunt on Christmas where they pair up and see who can find the items listed around their resort. If your vacation is about special family times and not riding every thing in the parks you will have fun!

We've been there through Christmas and although it is crowded, I think that if you plan appropriately you can have a pleasant experience. For instance, don't go commando through the parks every day. If you split things up and try to go places that aren't traditionally crowded during certain time periods, I think you'll be okay. Also, plan some DTD and Resort time. Christmas time is absolutely beautiful in WDW...it is worth it at least just once!

krishouse said:
Hi everyone,
We have been planning our Christmas 2005 trip for quite awhile now, we have booked dinner for Mvmcp gotten tickets for the 20th of December and secured our reservations from Dec17-27 but I am really getting cold feet!
I realize that it will be crowded and we better be organized with our PS's.
But I hate it when rude people are pushing and shoving my children which luckily has never happened to us at WDW but am hearing about from others experience. I am reading a lot of information from other boards and posters who are advising people to change dates.
Should I just soak up the tickets for Mvmcp and change our ressies for Jan2-10? I am seriously driving my Husband crazy!

Please help :cheer2:
thank you
Kristin

I would keep it. I went to WDW last year during the Xmas week. Some places were hit and miss. MK was busy on Xmas but the other theme parks weren't too bad. I was really surprized that Downtown Disney was open on Xmas day. If you are planning on any of the rides, plan them for the first few days of your trip. I used Xmas day to watch the 'Twis the night before show and some of the other activities. I didn't attempt many rides. Enjoy.

Don't change your dates. Christmas at Disney is wonderful. The decorations are amazing, from the parks to the resorts. The Candlelight Processional at Epcot is beautiful. The Osborne lights at MGM are really cool. We were there for Christmas in 1999 (Millennium Celebration) thru New Years. On Christmas day the MK was packed, but the next morning it was empty. :confused3

Just plan your days and I think you'll be fine. :flower:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter