Simply, which digital camera?

montessori

<font color=green>I just pack it all and then brin
Hi!
I tried to do a Search but that's not working.
I am interested in buying a pretty simple basic digital camera.
I don't need video or a lot of zoom. I just like to take pictures and I waste so much film and time and money with my regular camera.
I'd like to spend less than $400, with all the necessary supplies.
Thanks for your help!

I purchased the Canon Powershot S330 2.1 Mega-Pixel Digital Camera about a year ago. The pictures are great :D on the new HP photo printers. I took some pictures of Yosemite this spring, and they were as pretty as the postcards.

Some cameras have more pixels, but the size and zoom on this camera make a great choice. I have a AF SLR camera with extra lenses, that never gets used, because it is too hard to lug around. This camera is just slightly bigger than the smallest cameras around. I carry it everywhere on trips. The camera, 3 memory cards, an extra battery, and the charger fit in a small camera case on my belt.

A 256 MB memory card will get you 256 photos on a single card. Try that with a roll of film.

Digital cameras eat batteries :mad:. Digital cameras take a second to get ready, so plan ahead when you are taking a snapshot.

Nothing beats a digital camera for getting pictures with everyone smiling and looking good. You can take lots of shots, and check the shots right after you take them.

I used as site called www.epinions.com to get the details on different cameras when I was looking. You could check there for more details.

Montessori - two web sites to help you:
http://www.dpcorner.com and http://www.steves-digicams.com

dpcorner has good backgrond info on digital photography and Steve's site has great information on cameras including a comparison of similar cameras.

A few tips: If you typically do 4x6 or maybe 5x7 prints, a 2 megapixel camera should be fine. If you like to do enlargements, you might want to consider looking at a 3 megapixel camera.

Some digital cameras take a moment to focus and then take the photo while others (Olympus for example) have what they call a burst mode that will shot 2-3 pics a second (handy if you take a lot of action photos).

Some of the nicer 2 megapixel cameras have mode settings (landscape, action, nighttime, etc.) and those can come in handy especially if you take a lot of pictures.

You can get spare memory cards much less expensive if you look around on the web. The cards that come with the cameras are usually 8-16 MB cards and unless you're shooting at low resolution (640x480), you won't get many pictures on that size card. I have a Sony 3 megapixel camera and if I shoot at high resolution, I get roughly 45 pictures per 64 MB of memory.

Surf the web for prices or check the links on the web sites mentioned above. There are some very good prices on cameras and accessories from reputable sellers on the web.

Those are just some thoughts off the top of my head...Good luck!

Can you get regular prints from a digital camera too. I would assume you'd have to take the memory card to a film developer place. I love the thought of the features of a digital camera but I still would want prints. Can this be done?

HarryO - you can get prints from digital. I print mine on my injet printer and also upload them to ofoto.com or photoaccess.com Both sites provide "regular" chemical prints of the images for about .45-.50 per print (4x6). You can also order larger size prints (up to 16x20) as long as the resolution will take it. AM not sure about local retailers like Walgreen's or Costco - you might check with them and see. I would just be hesitant to leave a $50 or $60 memory card with them. Uploading can take some time, especially if you've got a dial-up connection but you can get some great prints!

I just got the Canon Powershot S30 and LOVE IT! Have yet to print out any pics from my printer ( HP 7350), since it still has to be hooked up. The camera is so easy to use and does soooo much. A++++++++++

I just wanted to agree with 4407mark about using on-line photo processors. I use ofoto.com (found them on a recommendation from Kodak) and I am very pleased with them. Although $.50 per 4x6 seems like a lot to pay, you only order pictures that you have specifically chosen as printable. I spend much less money on film processing now because I'm not printing the 1/3 of the film where my hand shook or someone sneezed, etc.

People are amazed when I tell them my pictures are digital. Using a photo processor, it's really difficult to tell the difference between 35mm and 2.0 or better mexapixel digital unless you are a professional photographer. If you're a normal "point and click" home and vacation photographer, you'll get excellent prints.

After a few hours of research on the web I went out and purchased the Kodak DX4320 for $279.00 I have just begun to play with it and really like it. It can do short video (audio included). It uses SanDisk SD memory and my HP laptop has a built in SanDisk reader so its very easy to download my pics (don't have to connect the camera at all).

Be sure to test the camera and make sure if "feels right", especially test for shutter lag. Some digital cameras take a while to "click" after you press the button. That can be annoying.

PlutosMyFav

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter