Single accommodation on Disneyland trips?

JoieNsk

Mouseketeer
I've been toying with the idea of going on Disneyland ABD trip (most likely just Short Escape to Disneyland), as none of my family would be THAT interested in this trip that it would worth paying money for them :)

I have big birthday in 2019, so maybe I will book it for myself as one of the presents for my birthday :)

But I have a question: how does the hotel room thing works for single people? Looked all over the description on ABD web-site - could not find any info for some reason.

Also if I would want to get different room type in the hotel (say room with a view) - would it be possible?

Thank you in advance for the info!

If you go as a solo traveler, you're charged an extra 40% of the per person price as a single supplement.

To my knowledge, room upgrades are not possible. But it couldn't hurt to ask ABD.

Sayhello

ETA: It seems to only be mentioned in the Terms and Conditions (bolding mine):

Terms and Conditions
PRICING DETAILS:
All prices are per person in U.S. dollars. Regular Rates vary for each land package and river cruise package (collectively “vacation package”) itinerary based primarily on when you book, when you travel, room configuration and room location (in the case of river cruise packages). Once your deposit is received by Adventures by Disney Travel Services, Inc. (“we”, “our” or “us”), your vacation package price is guaranteed for your party, except where price increases may result from increases in government taxes or fees. Guests added to your party after initial booking will be priced at the then-prevailing rate. All prices are subject to change without notice. A single supplement applies; please call a Vacationista for details. Room configurations are subject to availability; please see “Note on Accommodations” in the corresponding description of each vacation package for rooming information. Child rates apply to Guests under age 12 at the time of travel. All Guests under age 18 at the time of travel must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian in the same room.

Last edited:
If you go as a solo traveler, you're charged an extra 40% of the per person price as a single supplement.

To my knowledge, room upgrades are not possible. But it couldn't hurt to ask ABD.

Sayhello

Really?! That much? It's not a cruise, so I don't really get it.

I feel like it would be almost better to take somebody from my family to go with me.

The more that I never really traveled by myself that much. I am afraid it would feel kind of awkward for me to be in the park "by myself".

My husband is not that much into Disney, I always am worried if he is happy enough doing just Disney, and it kind of ruins it for me a bit.

My daughter likes Disney, but she is in college now. So it would be kind of hard to get us both on the schedule. The more that we plan on going with her to Japan next Spring-Summer (by ourselves, not with ABD), and we will visit Diney Parks in Japan too. And we are going to do really short Disney cruise with her and my mom too. So she will definitely get her Disney fix - more then probably needed (she is pretty spoiled already :) )

Yea... Maybe I should wait till I get grandkids :)))

I was thinking - it might be good idea to get together with somebody from the DISBOARDS and book trip for two - to avoid additional single charge.

But just book one more room in the same hotel - to avoid staying in the same room.

But maybe it is not realistic. You need to know the person pretty well anyways - to make sure that all the financial matters are taken care of on time etc.

I had been to Disneyland with friends couple times, that was so much fun :) But I would not even offer them to do an ABD, none of them would be able to really afford it.

Maybe I should still ask...

Last edited:
I travelled as a solo on the BSM in June 2014 on an Adults Exclusive ABD. I was very nervous about going on this ABD as a solo but love Disney and knew that the others on the trip would also love Disney (due to the price of the ABD), so I would have something to talk to others about. The group was mostly couples, some parents with older children but no other solo traveler like me. I did pay the single supplement and I had a room with a king size bed in both LA and at the Grand Californian. My view in LA was of the Hollywood sign and at the Grand was of the pool. I found everyone on my Adventure to be friendly and I have stayed in touch with a few of my fellow Adventurers. Yes, it is expensive to travel as a single but I never found that I was "alone", there was always people to ride the rides with (sometimes even with the ABD guides), dining was usually at large tables as a group...I would not hesitate to book the BSM as a solo.

I travelled as a solo on the BSM in June 2014 on an Adults Exclusive ABD. I was very nervous about going on this ABD as a solo but love Disney and knew that the others on the trip would also love Disney (due to the price of the ABD), so I would have something to talk to others about. The group was mostly couples, some parents with older children but no other solo traveler like me. I did pay the single supplement and I had a room with a king size bed in both LA and at the Grand Californian. My view in LA was of the Hollywood sign and at the Grand was of the pool. I found everyone on my Adventure to be friendly and I have stayed in touch with a few of my fellow Adventurers. Yes, it is expensive to travel as a single but I never found that I was "alone", there was always people to ride the rides with (sometimes even with the ABD guides), dining was usually at large tables as a group...I would not hesitate to book the BSM as a solo.

Thank you very much for your insight!

I was thinking with Disney it should be easier to travel by yourself, because most likely everybody is going to be a Disney fan :))) That always makes life easier :)

We had a few solo travelers on our Adult Exclusive in December. One girl even flew in from Jerusalem for the trip! She, also had a big birthday (she shares a birthday with Walt) and was probably the absolute cutest person I've ever met! She was SO excited to be on the trip and experience it all. Our entire group was a lot of fun and everyone was included, so you'll definitely have a great time if you choose to do it. But, like you've alluded too, you already have a built in common ground; Disney! You won't be disappointed if you go.

We had a few solo travelers on our Adult Exclusive in December. One girl even flew in from Jerusalem for the trip! She, also had a big birthday (she shares a birthday with Walt) and was probably the absolute cutest person I've ever met! She was SO excited to be on the trip and experience it all. Our entire group was a lot of fun and everyone was included, so you'll definitely have a great time if you choose to do it. But, like you've alluded too, you already have a built in common ground; Disney! You won't be disappointed if you go.

Thank you!

Maybe I will just do it by myself :)

I'm considering doing backstage magic solo next summer and based on what I've read on the boards, it just might be worth the single up charge. Based on the trip reports, it seems like being a single wouldn't be a big deal. I'd have to add the single supplement to the already high exchange rate, so we'll see.

It would be appealing to save the up-charge and share the reservation someone.

Thank you!

Maybe I will just do it by myself :)

It is an awesome trip and I know you would love it...

I'm considering doing backstage magic solo next summer and based on what I've read on the boards, it just might be worth the single up charge. Based on the trip reports, it seems like being a single wouldn't be a big deal. I'd have to add the single supplement to the already high exchange rate, so we'll see.

It would be appealing to save the up-charge and share the reservation someone.

It is kinda nice to have your own room to "chill" in after being with the group all day...I am someone that liked my alone time at night and in the morning...but agree, it is fun to share the reservation with someone...BTW...I hear you with the exchange...I am Canadian and the exchange did add quite a bit to my trip in 2014....but for me this trip was a dream come true...I could never have done the things that I did on this trip by booking separate tours and like I said previously, you really don't feel alone because you are a part of the group...and the guides did a great job including everyone in activities...

I will do this trip again someday and I will likely do it solo. I won’t hesitate to jump at the opportunity

My first ABD to Italy was as a solo and I had a great time...still FB with some of the people I met. I have done 2 solo Disney cruises and enjoyed them and'
I just signed up for the Southern Calif and Disneyland ABD. I have done WDW many times as a single (boyfriend a no go) and can't wait to have some alone time in Disneyland after the ABD. Unfortunately almost every tour company has a single supplement added on as they quote their rates as per person double occupancy. It is the way of the world and we single travelers do not like it but must lump it if we want to travel!

I'm doing a solo trip in the near future. My "single supplement" was only about 12%; that may vary by trip, perhaps you should call. I'm really considering the Disneyland trip myself

I'm doing a solo trip in the near future. My "single supplement" was only about 12%; that may vary by trip, perhaps you should call. I'm really considering the Disneyland trip myself
Is this an ABD or another provider? If it's ABD, I'd love to know which trip only has a 12% single supplement! I guess I'd love to know either way!

Sayhello

Is this an ABD or another provider? If it's ABD, I'd love to know which trip only has a 12% single supplement! I guess I'd love to know either way!

Sayhello
Sorry for the late reply. It was the ABD short escape to San Francisco. It definitely varies by trip. I just got off the phone with ABD and for 2019, the Disneyland trip is about a 30% up charge ($3,169) and the NYC trip is about 41% ($4,999, putting it out of what I'm willing to pay even though I've heard it's a fantastic trip).

Last edited:
I would love to do backstage magic or the shorter one but the single supplement is standing in my way

I’m doing a solo ABD next fall. I’m more worried about being awkwardly single rather than the solo supplement. As a solo travel I’ve learned to accept it.

I’m doing a solo ABD next fall. I’m more worried about being awkwardly single rather than the solo supplement. As a solo travel I’ve learned to accept it.
I would not worry about that. I've rarely felt any sort of awkwardness as a solo on an ABD. For the most part, people are very accepting and inclusive of solos. The Adventure Guides really work to make sure everyone is included. I've done 10 ABDs as a solo, and only felt awkward a couple of times (and that would be isolated times during a trip, not the entire trip.) Mostly it's around OYO meals, where folks just seem to all already have other plans. But I have no problems eating by myself, so it's really not a problem!

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter