Six Flags ?

Inlove4WDW

Too far from the magic and so close to my dream!!
Maybe silly question and nothing to do with it :rolleyes2 , but how far is SIX FLAGS from DL?

Inlove4WDW said:
Maybe silly question and nothing to do with it :rolleyes2 , but how far is SIX FLAGS from DL?
It's only 61 miles from Disneyland to Six Flags Magic Mountain in Valencia, California. But don't believe Yahoo Maps when they estimate the driving time at just 53 minutes. That might be true at 3:00 a.m., but the route involves congested Los Angeles freeways, so I'd plan on a substantially longer drive at most times of the day.

Have you considered Knott's Berry Farm if you want another theme park? Knott's is less than 7 miles from Disneyland.

Thanks Horace!
Of course we are going to Knotts, but I think Six Flags is a good option too.We are a roller coaster's fans.But first have to investigate how good is this for our DD8 and DS5. :rolleyes:

Can you tell me something about this park? Is this a good option for our family? :confused3

So we are talking about an hour to get there or more?
THANKS AGAIN! ;)

I have not been to Magic Mountain in about 10 years, but I would have to say from experience it is geared more towarsd the older kids 10 and up.

Unless your kids can do the height limits and are not scared of the big coasters I'd pass it up for now.

I do know they also have a water park which is seperate admission, I can not say what it is like though. As I have never been.

Knotts has some pretty good coasters and Camp Snoopy is cool for the kids.

I'd pass up on MM till they were older if it was my choice. It can aslo be extremly crowed. I have gone in the past and rode about 5 rides in 10 hours, because the lines were so long..

rapunsel

I have a season pass for Magic Mountain because my inlaws leave 5 minutes from there. I just went this pass Sunday and I have to agree with Rapunsel if your kids are not into Coasters maybe you should wait. Sunday was the first time I went in years and the COLOSSUS which was there big coaster back in the day seemed like a kiddie coaster compared to all those huge coasters they have now. I have to admit I was totally intimidated by the new rides.

Is there a better route to take other than the MapQuest route that may alleviate some of the congestion??? Thanks! :moped:

I went there last year. If you can put up with rowdy crowds and long lines for some of the coasters(rides) then it can be a fun place. There is a fair amount of security but not much help and controlling the jerks. If it were just bikers, it would be safer. Have a great time.

Jack

Let's just say it's a different crowd from Disney! There is a lot of young punks. I've never had a problem there but I do agree there is a lot of scary people there!

I did not take my girlfriend or my DD15 and DD13. It probably is safe for the most part. I am pretty assertive and do not put up with that kind of crap, I just do not find it much fun when I have to worry about my family interacting with those kind of indivuals. The rides are fantastic, but.......

Jack pirate:

There are some great coasters at SFMM!

My teenagers love it and I've never felt unsafe there.
I do wish they would control the lines more. I'm specifically thinking of the push and shove thing when you get inside the building for X. :crazy:
It does attract a different demographic than you'll find at Disneyland though.

At 5 & 8 I'm thinking you'll be pretty limited as to what the kids can ride. There is a kiddie area, but not really a whole lot there. They'll be able to do everything they want there pretty quickly and then it will be a lot of walking (and up and down some pretty substantial hills) to get where you want to be.

I don't mind it too much because we ride everything, but don't know if I'd want to make the trek just to hit the few attractions the kids are able do.
Be sure to check out the height requirements on their web site.

The lines do get crazy long sometimes!

Depending on what time, day and what route you take, it could take anywhere from just under an hour to probably 2 hours from DL to MM. I live about 3 miles from MM :) We went to DL Monday and it took us just under an hour to get down there (left Valencia at 9:15, took the 5 to 170 to 101 to 5). It took us just over an hour to get home (left DL at 8:45).

There are plenty of rides for school age kids IF they really are roller coaster buffs. My girls are afraid of Go Go Gadget, so MM is only a 1/2 day park for them. But if you're kids enjoy and are big enough for rides like Screamin, they should be good at MM. Your 5YO should be tall enough to ride all the 'fair' type rides (probably 5-6 spread throughout the park), the water rides (2 flumes, a raft, a boat, and a slide), and Ninja. I would think 8YO would be tall enough for everything else up to the newer 'thrill rides'. So the old schools like Revolution, Colossus, Gold Rush. 5YO is probably also small enough to ride the 'kiddie' rides, but they're VERY 'kiddie' rides (just right for my DDs! LOL).

As far as the crowds. Definatly different then DL. The park itself is not as clean either. People you would consider 'rude' at DL or your local mall will be the norm at MM. It's more like a 'fair' type crowd. Your not going to get shot or anything though, just don't expect a white middle class suburbia crowd cause that's not what you'll be getting :)

Thank you so much to all!! :)
Now I have an idea how MM is! ;)
It happen the same thing in our local Six Flags. :guilty:
I though it will be a good idea, because we saw a Discovery Channel program about roller coasters and we saw the Superman coaster. :thumbsup2

Thanks for all your answers!! :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter