Small World Vacations & Dreams Unlimited - how does it work?

I use Small World for WDW resort reservations and, in my experience, they don’t ‘hold’ any money. I give them my card details and each time it is used, they seek my prior approval before my card is used to make a direct payment to WDW. Similarly, if anything is cancelled, I receive a refund to my credit card, directly from WDW. As others have said WDW’s US cancellation and amendment policies are far more flexible than the U.K. arm. SW look out for discounts and apply them as they arise.
My July trip was Covid cancelled and I rebooked for October, then the AP debacle/deadline occurred; no WDW tickets being sold in the U.K., but SW were able to add US tickets to my RO reservation and convert it to a package.
I use a Revolut credit card for payments so I don’t pay exchange fees etc. I can’t see any downside to using US TAs. They work their socks off as far as I can see and are nothing like the post box TA we have in the U.K.
Good luck.

I used SWV for my first Disneyland trip and it was okay, it was a bit of a palaver trying to contact them, but, that was 9 years ago so I imagine they have improved. I decided to book with them two years later, but, found it was exactly the same price as doing it through Disneyland's own site and it was a lot easier communicating with Disney, so I stuck with them. I got exactly the same holiday, although last year when I got to my hotel, the Best Western Anaheim Inn there was a Disney package waiting for me at reception with some little gifts from Disney, a Star Wars pin and lanyard, a sweet little badge for Disneyland and some luggage tags .
Mind you, that is my own personal experience.

With regards to WDW, You could get a quote from them, but, shop around too as the difference in cost between booking through the UK site and the US site is massive, we do get a way better deal than the Americans, I suppose it may be down to the Brits having longer holidays than Americans. Our park tickets are way better and the difference is actually huge. I'm not sure if SWV would give you US prices or UK ones. Also, at the moment there will be no DDP, free of otherwise in 2021.

I just priced 14 days at Pop with 14 day Park hopper 1/3/2021- 15/3/2021 on both sites:
UK Disney site - £2509
US Disney site- £3345, but, with only a 10 day ticket as they don't do a 14 day ticket and while the UK ticket is all in, the US guests have to pay for the add ons like the water parks and Memory Maker and I priced the US ticket with just the park hopper and Memory Maker add ons, water parks would be even more.

I always advise to get a nice cup of whatever you drink, a pen and paper and look around all the different sites to see what is the best deal. Another thing about the WDTC is that their prices remain the same, some online TAs prices can change week to week. I know VH did.

Last edited:
I have a running spreadsheet comparing various packages so don’t you worry, I am doing plenty of research before committing!
And thank you for your detailed response.

it’s super helpful information and reassuring that I should be getting a decent deal, even if I do myself. It’s going to be ace!

I have a running spreadsheet comparing various packages so don’t you worry, I am doing plenty of research before committing!
And thank you for your detailed response.

it’s super helpful information and reassuring that I should be getting a decent deal, even if I do myself. It’s going to be ace!
With all the different online TAs it's the right way to go. I've talked to way too many people who just went down to their local TA and got a seriously poor deal, I even chatted to someone in the Cardiff VH office they had in a department store after listening to the terrible advice they were getting from the rep, I'm not usually like this, but, this guy gave them horrible advice and I couldn't help myself. These are seriously expensive trips even when we can find the cheapest one and I don't like seeing people spend money they don't need to.

Also, I find the planning half the fun :-)

With all the different online TAs it's the right way to go. I've talked to way too many people who just went down to their local TA and got a seriously poor deal, I even chatted to someone in the Cardiff VH office they had in a department store after listening to the terrible advice they were getting from the rep, I'm not usually like this, but, this guy gave them horrible advice and I couldn't help myself. These are seriously expensive trips even when we can find the cheapest one and I don't like seeing people spend money they don't need to.

Also, I find the planning half the fun :-)

I'm kind of turned off to the UK ones as I had a look at some of them (assuming they're not going bump) and the pricing was awful and didn't seem like there was much actual planning but more set packages.

Exactly! And you want to make sure you get the best deal for the holiday you actually want. Glad you could help them!

I love the planning too. In fact, it helps give me something to look forward to and be excited by. The last few months have been so depressing. Even if a go through a TA, I still like having that research in place, if only to be able to share it with others.

didn't seem like there was much actual planning but more set packages.

exactly this. UK and Ireland travel agencies are just package holiday sellers. Many of them would never have been to WDW and can't give you first hand experience, they just read from the travel brochures. Also with UK and Ireland travel agencies they charter planes and just fill them with package holiday people. Everyone who booked WDW packages through UK and Ireland travel agencies have had their packages cancelled for the rest of the year. Even if tourist travel between Europe and USA is possible in November / December UK and Irish people who booked through a UK and Ireland travel agency wont be able to go. However , people who booked with either a USA travel agency such as Dreams Unlimited and are on scheduled , not charter flights or booked direct with the airlines will be able to go.

exactly this. UK and Ireland travel agencies are just package holiday sellers. Many of them would never have been to WDW and can't give you first hand experience, they just read from the travel brochures. Also with UK and Ireland travel agencies they charter planes and just fill them with package holiday people. Everyone who booked WDW packages through UK and Ireland travel agencies have had their packages cancelled for the rest of the year. Even if tourist travel between Europe and USA is possible in November / December UK and Irish people who booked through a UK and Ireland travel agency wont be able to go. However , people who booked with either a USA travel agency such as Dreams Unlimited and are on scheduled , not charter flights or booked direct with the airlines will be able to go.

I didn't know that! Fascinating. We're being told only essential travel but, given that so many businesses are now struggling, I can't see how they can continue to block people from going away if they're willing to take that risk and take appropriate precautions.

@KellO
The UK and Ireland travel agencies charter planes for all the package holiday people to Orlando. As there is both a USA and UK / Ireland travel ban right now, all the travel agencies just cancelled everything. Even people who have booked in October / November / December have had to get a refund or rebook for 2021. But if the travel bans are lifted say in October, if people book flights direct with the airlines or go through a USA travel agency, a wdw holiday could still be possible.

Any tourist travel to USA in 2020 depends on the travel bans being lifted. If flights still go but the UK Government or Irish Government still advises against none essential travel, I still will not travel , as it will void my travel and medical insurance.

I have flights booked to California in October, so I am watching everything very closely.

@KellO
The UK and Ireland travel agencies charter planes for all the package holiday people to Orlando. As there is both a USA and UK / Ireland travel ban right now, all the travel agencies just cancelled everything. Even people who have booked in October / November / December have had to get a refund or rebook for 2021. But if the travel bans are lifted say in October, if people book flights direct with the airlines or go through a USA travel agency, a wdw holiday could still be possible.

Any tourist travel to USA in 2020 depends on the travel bans being lifted. If flights still go but the UK Government or Irish Government still advises against none essential travel, I still will not travel , as it will void my travel and medical insurance.

I have flights booked to California in October, so I am watching everything very closely.

Would the airline refund/cancel if he ban remains in place?

Would the airline refund/cancel if he ban remains in place?

Yes, right now with the travel bans, there are only 14 USA airports that international flights are allowed to use. It depends on the airline
If the airline used one of the 14 airports before Covid, they can still use that airport.
Some airlines are flying direct to one of the 14 airports and then using code share partners USA Domestic airlines to get passengers to their final destination
Some airlines are cancelling flights and giving full refunds.

My airline Aer Lingus is allowing people to change dates for all flights scheduled between now and December 31 without a few.

The flight is still scheduled but has been changed from Dublin direct to LAX to Dublin to Boston with Aer Lingus, Boston to LAX with Jetblue.

If I decided that I dont want to go, or if the travel bans have not been lifted, I can either reschedule , or get a full refund.

I can't see the travel ban being revoked before the US election and it's unlikely to be revoked before the end of the year.

when i purchased UK packages, i always booked directly with disney.uk, but i booked my flights separately (DIY).
I don't buy packages anymore as we're now DVC owners, but we still buy the UK ticket which is far superior to anything offered to the US market.

Yes, right now with the travel bans, there are only 14 USA airports that international flights are allowed to use. It depends on the airline
If the airline used one of the 14 airports before Covid, they can still use that airport.
Some airlines are flying direct to one of the 14 airports and then using code share partners USA Domestic airlines to get passengers to their final destination

My airline Aer Lingus is allowing people to change dates for all flights scheduled between now and December 31 without a few.

The flight is still scheduled but has been changed from Dublin direct to LAX to Dublin to Boston with Aer Lingus, Boston to LAX with Jetblue.

If I decided that I dont want to go, or if the travel bans have not been lifted, I can either reschedule , or get a full refund.

Just to add although the airports are open unless you hold a US Visa or are a US citizen you can't actually fly into the US. They haven't reopened the ESTA scheme and therefore the majority of people in the UK will still be under a travel ban.

In terms of travel agents, I've used quite a few different ones including Dreams and Small World. I have used one UK agent (Virgin Holidays) and would say they were OK. I used them because they had an offer on and it was significantly cheaper than purchasing separately or through a US TA (rare I know). They knew very little about Disney cruises although a lot about Disney world I'll give them that. Luckily I didn't need them to sort out anything as I knew enough to arrange it all myself but its definitely something to be mindful of you if its your first time cruising or going to Disney World. Definitely a good idea to have a spreadsheet going - exactly what I do

At least there's a lot of flexibility there, in terms of cancelling or re-scheduling. That's really reassuring! Yet another thing that will no doubt be worked into the T&Cs for future travel packages.

when i purchased UK packages, i always booked directly with disney.uk, but i booked my flights separately (DIY).
I don't buy packages anymore as we're now DVC owners, but we still buy the UK ticket which is far superior to anything offered to the US market.

I'll likely be doing flights separately too as I think that's easier in terms of getting the best deal and times you want. There's been so many horror stories lately of people on other package holidays having issues with agents not being aware of things like hotels being closed etc. I doubt that would be an issue with WDW, especially since I'm not planning to travel until 2021, but it's certainly something that makes you think a little more about the support you receive, if you're going through a third party.

Definitely a good idea to have a spreadsheet going - exactly what I do

I do! I think I'm definitely becoming the go-to person amongst the people I know personally, with the amount of research I'm doing 🤣 The friend that's considering coming with me has started calling me Monica (Friends)...

My spreadsheet currently has several tabs, including:
  • various costings for packages and planning independently including average for different types of food/restaurants
  • rides organised into parks with my preferred highlighted and filters so that I can easily see potential vegan options in or near those parks and notes on QS or table, budget etc
  • a temporary tab with Disney movies I didn't know existed (that has no real bearing on the holiday, but it's "research" all the same)!

My spreadsheet currently has several tabs, including:
  • various costings for packages and planning independently including average for different types of food/restaurants
  • rides organised into parks with my preferred highlighted and filters so that I can easily see potential vegan options in or near those parks and notes on QS or table, budget etc
  • a temporary tab with Disney movies I didn't know existed (that has no real bearing on the holiday, but it's "research" all the same)!

Oh don't mind has a tab on food too including snacks and restaurants :D Great minds clearly!

Oh don't mind has a tab on food too including snacks and restaurants :D Great minds clearly!

Amazing! I guess, with it being such a high-priced holiday, and there being few options around, it helps to keep an eye on what you really want to eat to enrich the experience rather than empty the wallet. I find a lot of this research ends up thrown out of the window when I go with someone though.

The last time I went on a bigger hol with someone, it was to Italy (Bologne, Florence, Rome & Naples). She was easy going and just wanted me to tell her when, where & how much. When we actually went away though, she got bored quickly, couldn't keep herself entertained, got tired of walking around so much, didn't like the places I'd picked out to eat (luckily I'm always flexible, it just meant we ate and visited cafes much more frequently than I'd intended to - I wanted some picnic lunches outside!)... it was definitely more stressful than it needed to be. I did get a day to do things the way I intended when she went off on a day tour about cars and olive oil, which wasn't for me.

There's an obvious fix for that :-)

Absolutely! It's why a lot of the time I do go on my own. Most of my holidays are either solo or solo on a group trip like GAdventures. I did DL Paris solo but I'd prefer to do the WDW & US experience with someone but more than happy to go alone, if she backs out when I come to make the booking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!