SNA- "scariest" airport? (takeoffs)

I am so glad I decided to ask here and didn't just base my decision on the articles available online! The media can scare the pants off of you if you let them!

SNA is a fantastic airport all around. I live about 15 min away and use it as much as possible. There is a slightly steeper ascent but it's not ANYTHING like a space shuttle launch. It's probably a 35-40 degree angle. It's a very comfortable recline.

They do cut the engine power for a few minutes. It just gets MUCH quieter, but since you know to expect it, it's not worrisome. The pilot will talk about it before takeoff so everyone knows.

SNA was also named the #3 Best Domestic Airport. It is worth the extra over LAX. LAX is a miserable experience straight out of hell. I couldn't hate an airport more.

Also, avoid LAX at all costs. I know so many people fly in there to come to DL and it would have to be a HUGE price difference to be worth it to me. I would gladly pay more to land at SNA, and you’ll save a little of that back in taxi/shuttle/Uber to DL and back. It is so much farther away and feels like lightyears with the traffic.

I have found a few options for PHL to SNA with SW that are only marginally higher in price than PHL to LAX. The times are not as convenient and they come with longer layovers (2hrs+) and changing planes. All things considered, still better than the headache of LAX, I would guess. (?)

First time flying Philadelphia to California as an adult.
Reading about LAX (airport itself + traffic surrounding) being a congested nightmare that causes stress and eats up time.
Looking into SNA. Seemed perfect until I started reading stuff online about the takeoffs being likened to a space shuttle launch. Steep ascent. Engines being cut. "Light in the seat" feeliing.
Now, I fly..... but I don't like it! I take xanax. I am not freaking out but I work hard to keep calm during takeoffs and turbulence.
I'm sure many who fly in and out of SNA are fine with it. People who fly often and have 0 fear while on a plane But that's not me.
>I'd like the perspective of someone, like myself, who is a nervous flyer and has flown into and out of SNA. How was it? Is it really that bad or just a tad more scary that usual takeoffs?<
I hate flying. Can’t do it without a drink or two first. Medication for longer flights. That being said, I find SNA just fine. It’s a small airport which helps my nerves before hand. I would not at all describe takeoff as a shuttle launch. I know they cut the engines until they’re out of Orange County but it’s not something that scares me. I’d take SNA over LAX any day.

Oh don't be silly. Flying is perfectly safe. What are you worried about?

Sorry, couldn’t help myself.
Seriously though, if I don’t get moderate turbulence with the wings flexing noticeably up and down, then I don’t think I’ve gotten my money’s worth on that flight.

First time flying Philadelphia to California as an adult.
Reading about LAX (airport itself + traffic surrounding) being a congested nightmare that causes stress and eats up time.
Looking into SNA. Seemed perfect until I started reading stuff online about the takeoffs being likened to a space shuttle launch. Steep ascent. Engines being cut. "Light in the seat" feeliing.
Now, I fly..... but I don't like it! I take xanax. I am not freaking out but I work hard to keep calm during takeoffs and turbulence.
I'm sure many who fly in and out of SNA are fine with it. People who fly often and have 0 fear while on a plane But that's not me.
>I'd like the perspective of someone, like myself, who is a nervous flyer and has flown into and out of SNA. How was it? Is it really that bad or just a tad more scary that usual takeoffs?<

I've haven't read the responses yet, but I just flew out of there six days ago (and into a week earlier). The take off/landing did not bother me, and I did take a full Xanax before I fly. I do not fly often -- it had been six years since the last time I flew and it had been more like 20 since I'd flown in/out of SNA. I found the Phoenix connection take off and landing much more difficult to handle than the SNA (I think it's due to the heat and winds and how the Phoenix airport sits, but it was awful). I'm a complete wreck flying and made my 18 year old hold my hand the entire time for our take offs and landing. Honestly, the lack of dealing with traffic and congestion at LAX (which we last used 9 years ago) was worth it to fly SNA. It was so easy to get our luggage and head outside to Uber, and then so easy to be dropped off, check in with no line and take off right on time. If it were up to me, I would always choose SNA over LAX.

Coming back to add that before we took off last week, the pilot definitely came on to tell us how they cut the power immediately after take off and that it was standard procedure, etc but I really did not notice it. We were on Southwest.

I'm a professional pilot and in my opinion, what you're describing has more to do with the type of aircraft than anything else. Smaller aircraft are going to feel much more dramatic than larger ones. A direct flight from PHL to SNA is probably going to be on a fairly large aircraft so you should be okay. It's the commuter jets that'll scare you. Hope that helps.

If you're still really worried about it, or even if you just want more options, you may want to check flights into Long Beach (LGB). It's only a few miles farther away than SNA, but still a small airport with manageable security lines. Fewer airlines fly there (Jet Blue is one of them), but it's a great option.

Oh don't be silly. Flying is perfectly safe. What are you worried about?

Sorry, couldn’t help myself.
Seriously though, if I don’t get moderate turbulence with the wings flexing noticeably up and down, then I don’t think I’ve gotten my money’s worth on that flight.

I have a brother named John who has made a life-long habit of teasing the heck out of me. You're not him, are you????

I’ll fly into SNA over LAX any day. Take off/landing usually get to me but i don’t recall having problems there

I have found a few options for PHL to SNA with SW that are only marginally higher in price than PHL to LAX. The times are not as convenient and they come with longer layovers (2hrs+) and changing planes. All things considered, still better than the headache of LAX, I would guess. (?)
I'm not a nervous flier, but I do get motion sickness relatively easily on takeoffs and landings and I've never had an issue at SNA. The choice between SNA and LAX really depends on your circumstances. Right now I'm flying with a toddler and odd times and layovers are something I want to totally avoid, so I'll choose LAX. It's a hassle but worth the problems I avoid with a cranky 2 y/o. Another airport you might want to look into is Long Beach. It's my favorite airport, hands-down. It's not too far from Orange County and it's the easiest to navigate, BY FAR.

Long Beach LGB is ah-mazing! There just aren’t very many flights there as it is teeny teeny tiny. I love flying out of there to Vegas and back when it’s jusy my husband and I
I would not recommend it with small kids, car seats and strollers as you do go outside and up the stairs to the aircraft (or a ramp if needed, but still an upward hike)

I'm not a nervous flier, but I do get motion sickness relatively easily on takeoffs and landings and I've never had an issue at SNA. The choice between SNA and LAX really depends on your circumstances. Right now I'm flying with a toddler and odd times and layovers are something I want to totally avoid, so I'll choose LAX. It's a hassle but worth the problems I avoid with a cranky 2 y/o. Another airport you might want to look into is Long Beach. It's my favorite airport, hands-down. It's not too far from Orange County and it's the easiest to navigate, BY FAR.
I well remember traveling with toddlers but those days have passed for me. My youngest is 17. She will be accompanying me along with 2 of my sons (early 20's). They will have their faces in their phones during the layovers. I'll bring a book. LOL.

Long Beach LGB is ah-mazing! There just aren’t very many flights there as it is teeny teeny tiny. I love flying out of there to Vegas and back when it’s jusy my husband and I
I would not recommend it with small kids, car seats and strollers as you do go outside and up the stairs to the aircraft (or a ramp if needed, but still an upward hike)
Sounds like our Trenton airport here in NJ. Tiny!

I am also a really nervous flyer. It has been a few years since we have flown into SNA, our last few trips we have flown into Northern California and visited with family and then did the drive with them to Disney.

I do remember some of what has been described at SNA and I remember feeling a bit nervous about it, but really it wasn't too bad, especially compared to a few other airports we have flown into. Saipan was one of the worst for me, and it didn't help that it was a fairly small plane. I do find that knowing about procedures that are a bit different ahead of time helps.

And I do know that flying is overall very safe. My husband and I have both worked in the aviation industry but really it does nothing to calm my fears. I am just thankful my kids do not seem to be affected by my craziness.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!