SNA- "scariest" airport? (takeoffs)

It is still SOP for Southwest, but the Pilots also explain it. All it is they take off a bit steeper then level off a bit and reduce power until the shoreline. There is no “sensation” that you feel other than it is just a bit different procedure than a continuous power climb thay most are expecting.
This was my experience flying out of SNA on Southwest in March. The pilots explained the procedure ahead of time. To me it's just louder than a standard take off.

SNA is really easy to manage -- small, quick, short lines -- while LAX is a bear and it's sooooo much farther away from DLR. The time I'd spend on the road isn't worth the money I'd potentially save if the LAX flight were cheaper.

Last edited:
And I do know that flying is overall very safe.......... I am just thankful my kids do not seem to be affected by my craziness.

Same here! Rationally I know flying is safer than driving. The years we used pack up all the kids and drive from NJ to WDW seemed to get progressively more dangerous. Specifically the section of I-95 between Baltimore and Richmond. OMG the drivers around the Wash DC are drive like maniacs!
We live under the circling path for planes landing in PHL so if I'm in my backyard for 20 mins, 6-8 planes will fly over me in that span of time. Multiply that x every day, all day, in airports all over the world. Taking off and landing safely.
Yes. It's very safe. I know that.... but..... I still get anxiety. I'm blaming perimenopausal hormones making me crazy! yep! That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!
Oh, and none of my kids have any fear of flying either.

Oh don't be silly. Flying is perfectly safe. What are you worried about?

Sorry, couldn’t help myself.
Seriously though, if I don’t get moderate turbulence with the wings flexing noticeably up and down, then I don’t think I’ve gotten my money’s worth on that flight.

"Moderate turbulence" as defined by the FAA is a lot more intense than most of us probably think of. We're talking drink carts falling over and stuff. Pretty rare in most commercial flights. They use radar and pilot reports to see areas of probable turbulence and vector around it.

giphy.gif

LAX is a burning dumpster fire of an airport and I avoid it as much as possible.

SNA is fine, if you discount the trying-too-hard #MAGA TSA agents.

LGB is built out of trailers, like an underfunded public school.

ONT is my jam, and generally has cheaper car rentals. I-10 to CA 57 to Ball Road in 40 minutes.

Only SNA has notably different takeoff and descent experiences, but nothing to worry about.

I am a nervous flyer and I never felt uncomfortable flying in or out of SNA - I think you'll be OK.

I would take SNA over LAX any day. LAX scares me on take-offs...SNA is smooth coming & going. Also, the terminals aren't as crowded & scary. And because of this, security runs much faster / smoothly.

LGB is built out of trailers, like an underfunded public school.
No trailers for several years now. I've been flying in to LGB since 2015 or so, and the new concourses had been there for a little while already.

No trailers for several years now. I've been flying in to LGB since 2015 or so, and the new concourses had been there for a little while already.
That's good to know! I haven't been there in at least five years, mostly because prices aren't competitive with other airports (and I have no reason to fly Jetblue).

I'm a nervous flyer. I flew out of SNA once. It was fine. My only problem at all was being frisked by security because I didn't know crystal, when transported in a suitcase, can look like something dangerous. The takeoff was good though.

BUR could be a possibility, too. The takeoff is super easy. But, landing there is like hell. The runway isn't very long unless they've changed it since the last time I flew.

"Moderate turbulence" as defined by the FAA is a lot more intense than most of us probably think of. We're talking drink carts falling over and stuff. Pretty rare in most commercial flights. They use radar and pilot reports to see areas of probable turbulence and vector around it.
Yeah there have only been a couple times with actual moderate turbulence. And it really taught me that the planes are designed to take much more than the passengers can. That’s why they always turn on the seatbelt sign when there is slight turbulence. It can be unpredictable and there is always a very small chance that you’ll get some moderate bumps that throw you up against something.

I'm a nervous flyer and purposely book SNA over LAX every time. I really dislike getting into and out of LAX but the SNA flight really doesn't bother me.

I've seen some people posting about taking Xanax before a flight ... does it really work? I've read that taking something like Xanax can actually make things worse if you don't normally take it. I wouldn't need it for an SNA flight, but we're leaving for Europe in a week and just the thought of that long on a plane makes me nervous. I have issues with claustrophobia as well as turbulence.

A friend of mine is married to a guy who flys for FedEx. She told me he loves flying for them because the turbulence isn't dangerous and they get to fly straight through it since they don't have any nervous passengers on board.

One of my least favorite airports to fly into can be my home airport, Seattle. It's not a bad airport at all, but we get some wicked winds in the winter that can make the plane feel like there's no way it's ever going to land safely!

I've seen some people posting about taking Xanax before a flight ... does it really work? I've read that taking something like Xanax can actually make things worse if you don't normally take it. I wouldn't need it for an SNA flight, but we're leaving for Europe in a week and just the thought of that long on a plane makes me nervous. I have issues with claustrophobia as well as turbulence.
I wonder if you are maybe thinking of benadryl, which can cause some excitability in some people (one of my kiddos is like that). It's an over the counter antihistamine. Xanax, or its cousin Ativan, tends to work pretty well, and are prescription only. Their whole purpose is to calm you. In my case,my doctor had me take one at home first, so I could see that it worked, so that when I needed it for the flight, I already had confidence in it helping. Its recommended you don't drive on it, so you should have a ride at your destination. I take it about 45 minutes before my flight (maybe 15-20 before boarding). It just relaxes me enough to tolerate the take-off and ensuing claustrophobia. Its that second-adult-drink relaxed feeling for me.

I admit I am not a nervous flyer. I honestly never noticed and did not know until others were mentioning it to me. So now I know and I still don't feel a difference at all.

Flown into SNA more times then most of you are old, I found it better than most I have been to, no different sensations than I would expect. I fly alaska from home to cali.

Jack

I'm a nervous flyer and purposely book SNA over LAX every time. I really dislike getting into and out of LAX but the SNA flight really doesn't bother me.

A friend of mine is married to a guy who flys for FedEx. She told me he loves flying for them because the turbulence isn't dangerous and they get to fly straight through it since they don't have any nervous passengers on board.

One of my least favorite airports to fly into can be my home airport, Seattle. It's not a bad airport at all, but we get some wicked winds in the winter that can make the plane feel like there's no way it's ever going to land safely!
I only take the xanax for flying. I start with a .5mg tab cut in half. If, by the time we board, I feel I need the 2nd half I take that. Its never had the opposite effect. Like another poster mentioned, I think you are thinking of antihistamines causing excitability instead of drowsiness.

I've never been uncomfortable and I hate flying. I far prefer flying into a small airport such as SNA. LAX is a nightmare to get around.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter