So convoluted... I need some DCL experts...

Birdie dog

DIS Veteran
And to think I *was* an expert. But this, my friends, is an exceptional time.

(Very quick prelude- I've posted this elsewhere). I'm booked on the 2020 EBTA. I booked with an older (IE 10% and $200 SBC) placeholder and I've read Disney is honoring these on rebooking. Although I'm not going on the 2020 EBTA, I have yet to cancel, I'm waiting for DCL to do it and hoping for a 125% credit.. I plan on taking the 2021 EBTA instead, and moving my placeholders to that cruise at some point. I'd like to choose rooms now- it seems like adjoining rooms on deck 2 are selling and I need a set.

So questions. I've considered booking the 2021 cruise now and holding my rooms. But, would I be able to hold on to those rooms when DCL does cancel and move my current reservation number to the new cruise? In the past you had to cancel specific rooms and book what was available or wait for them to pop back up in inventory (easier said than done with the phone snafus these days). Also, If I make a deposit on new rooms for 2021, will that be returned to my CC when I move all of my money from the 2020 cruise to pay off the cruise. I understand that the difference will be a SBC which would be great for my rainforest loving self.

Is there anything I'm not considering by booking another cruise now? I don't want to waste time and effort if this isn't going to work. Thanks.

In the past you had to cancel specific rooms and book what was available or wait for them to pop back up in inventory (easier said than done with the phone snafus these days).

I can't speak from personal experience, but my understanding from reading other posts is that this is still the case for the cruise credit offered in case of DCL cancellations. That is, if you get the 125% credit, you can't transfer it to an existing reservation--so if you want those specific rooms and have already booked them, you would need to cancel the rooms and hope they come back into inventory promptly.

In the same boat, I have a 2021 reservation on the Med. cruise and I am waiting until they cancel the EBTA before I do anything.
I am hoping they will cancel the room on the new cruise and it will pop up to rebook it right away.

Good Luck.

I can't speak from personal experience, but my understanding from reading other posts is that this is still the case for the cruise credit offered in case of DCL cancellations. That is, if you get the 125% credit, you can't transfer it to an existing reservation--so if you want those specific rooms and have already booked them, you would need to cancel the rooms and hope they come back into inventory promptly.

UGH. I'm just now starting to think about this. We have:
Nov 2020 - booked opening day with 10% placeholder
May 2020 - we grabbed this a few weeks ago (guaranteed verandah) when they announced the ability to change up to 24hrs prior to sailing

We figured if we couldn't take the May, we'd apply the funds to Nov. Now it sounds like that isn't possible. Until something specific is announced, we really don't know which will give us the better rate for Nov: keep the opening day + 10% placeholder OR a potentially >100% credit from May guaranteed room

At least when something is announced it will serve as a good distraction to decide what to do.

Why don’t you just wait to see what’s offered. Why do you feel the need to rebook 2021 now?

Deck 2 isn't going to sell out well over a year before the cruise. You'd just cause yourself more stress with booking it now and trying to time a cancellation

Because I'm currently working 60 hours a week in the ER and then sitting home when I'm not asleep. My life sucks currently (though at least I'm employed) and this gives me some distraction.

Is that good enough for you?
Calm down. I was just wondering why you don’t wait and see what the offer is. Your not going to be able to move your current reservation number to the new cruise. It’s a whole new reservation. They can move the funds over but the discount won’t be applied. Your going to spend more time on the phone then you would if you just waited.

Curious about people's experience on how quickly a newly canceled room pops up again? Is it true it can be anywhere from immediately up to... awhile? (Whatever "awhile" means.) It's also possible someone could snag the room in the moments before you're able to re-book it, right?

In the same boat, I have a 2021 reservation on the Med. cruise and I am waiting until they cancel the EBTA before I do anything.
I am hoping they will cancel the room on the new cruise and it will pop up to rebook it right away.

Good Luck.

Because I'm currently working 60 hours a week in the ER and then sitting home when I'm not asleep. My life sucks currently (though at least I'm employed) and this gives me some distraction.

Thank you for the work you are doing in the ER. I have been distracting myself with Disney planning too, so I know where you are coming from! We went through this same calculus and decided to go ahead and book the 2021 rooms we want so they wouldn’t disappear. If we can’t use whatever deal we are offered on that reservation, then we will either see at that time if it makes sense to cancel and rebook with 125% (and maybe that will make sense if rates haven’t gone up and the kinds of side-by-Side rooms we want are available), or maybe we will use the 125% later, perhaps on the Wish! Going ahead and booking now meant tying up more of our money, but it also gave me peace of mind to know I have the kind of cabins I want for 2021. And if I cancel that res later, it would only be because something else I like was available, which is fun to imagine.

Sorry for the OT but hoping you are feeling well and that no one else in the family got sick. I take you being here as a good sign. :)

Deck 2 isn't going to sell out well over a year before the cruise. You'd just cause yourself more stress with booking it now and trying to time a cancellation

This is simply not true. Anyone with long term DCL experience has seen entire cruises sell out first day of release, 2 years in advance.

OP, I would book the 2021 cabins you want and place a deposit to hold it. Keep your OBB reservation. When/if the time comes to change dates and sail the 2021, you can then compare which is the better deal. If you don't want to commit right now to the later date, keep what you have. I have learned the hard way it's always easier to hang onto what you have, than to regret not capturing something when you had the chance.

I currently have Feb 2021 WBPC booked with old-policy OBB (includes the OBC). $6692 for 2 adults in cat 7A. :cool1:
A while ago, I briefly considered changing it to Nov 2020 EBPC so as not to be cruising in peak flu season. That cruise is way up and so is mine. If I give up our current res, there's no way I'll be able to get it again at that price. It's over $10k now for what I have.

OP, thank you for all that you're doing right now. :grouphug::grouphug:
I work in xray and currently home awaiting test results. :hyper:

I can't "love" this answer enough. Thank you for making my morning. And thank you for your ER service, too.

Thank you for what you are doing!!!

Good Luck.
Why would they cancel a 2021 cruise?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter