So Much to Celebrate. . a Disney Wedding, 30th Anniversary & Easter 2015 Updated 3/29

vamassey1

DIS Veteran
That's right this trip report has an actual Disney Wedding, a very small one but still a Disney Wedding.

I've only done 2 trip reports previous to this and it's been several years since I've done one so be patient with me. I know it's been more than a year since our trip but it was such a special trip. Not a perfect trip, but still very special. Michelle and I both wanted to do a trip report when we got back but things were just too busy. We try to go to Disney every other year and I knew this would be a great way to pass the time until our next trip in June 2017.

This trip was action packed with lots of different family members coming and going.

Let me introduce the different groups. I'm going to do it in order of when we arrived.

First off is our small group of 3. I'll start with me, Vanessa. I'm the biggest Disney lover in the family and have made it my ambition to spread the love to all I can in every way I can. I can take any discussion and turn it to Disney. My middle child Michelle(the bride) has learned to do this too. My favorite park is the Magic Kingdom. My favorite character is Belle, but since Michelle has claimed her I stick with Snow White. Next up is my husband Dennis. For years he would not have anything to do with Disney, but it only took 1 day in the Disney bubble to convert him in 2002. His favorite park is Animal Kingdom and he loves the rides. He says he doesn't have a favorite character but he favors Grumpy in more ways than one. He has even been given the Grumpy by our granddaughter we were gifted with by this wedding. And last but not lest is our youngest child Danielle. She was 15 when we took this trip. She lucked out and has been going to Disney since she was 3. Her favorite character use to be Tink due to her attitude. She also would like to claim Belle, but again Michelle has already done that. Now she identifies with Rapunzel.

MK_MSUPTOWNJL_7258088826.jpeg

The next group is my middle child Michelle and her husband/husband to be Jimmy. They of course are the couple getting married. I took Michelle to Disney for the first time when she was 9. She was just as excited as I was. She has always been my partner in crime in planning. We both love to plan! I would like to say she's a chip off the old block but to be truthful she even better than me. Planning a big family Disney trip and a small Disney wedding was a blast with her. As I have stated she love Belle and anything Beauty and the Beast. Jimmy is a Disney novice. He has only been 1 time before the trip and that was when he was a child. I can honestly say he has drank the Disney kool-aid. He identifies with Gaston, since he loves Belle and likes his muscles. I'm going to include Jimmy's daughter in here too, although she didn't travel with them. She is the bonus we all got with the wedding. Her name is Gianna, but we call her Gia. She loves Disney and has already been lots, but this was the first time she traveled with her Dad, her mom has taken her a few times. I'm not really sure who her favorite character is since that changes every few months. She's full of personality and charms everyone she meets. She gave Dennis the name Grumpy.

MK_GASTONSTAVERNCHAR_7291403248.jpeg

The next group to arrive was my niece Chelsea and her boyfriend Tyler. This was Chelsea's second trip. We took her for the first time in 2012 and got her hooked. This was Tyler's first time. We just love taking people for the first trip to Disney. Chelsea likes Jasmine only because she has a crush on Aladdin. We searched high an low to find Aladdin in 2012. Tyler didn't really have a favorite character but somewhere along the trip Olaf because his tag. Tyler has never been to a big time park or ridden big time rides so we were very excited to introduce him to it all. Keep in mind he's an engineer too.
AK_TREEBACK_7291359898.jpeg

Next to arrive was Jimmy's mom Carolyn and his step-dad Wayne. They traveled with Gia. Carolyn had only been once before this trip when Jimmy and his brother were little. Wayne had never been but we knew he would love it since he's a kid a heart. They're a little more laid back about Disney then we are but they really enjoyed the resort and top notch service Disney gives.

MK_ROVERFANTASY1_7262740070.jpeg

And last but not least is our oldest and only son Brent and his wife Hannah. The arrived last and left first. They were only able to come for the wedding. Brent had been 5 times and even came for his best friend's wedding in 2009. This was Hannah's 3rd trip. They like Disney ok but actually think going other places are better(imagine that). They didn't get much time in Disney this trip. They had their 10 year anniversary trip later that year and a trip to see her parents in North Carolina. Brent isn't interested in going back to Disney until the Star Wars section is open.
IMG_6552.JPG

Now a picture of all of us together.

CONTEMP_CHEFMICKEY1_7271661699.jpeg

I think we clean up pretty good.

Well that's the who so next I think we'll talk about how all this came to be.

Up next planning a Disney wedding, less that 6 months out.

Last edited:
Chapter Links

Background So Much to Celebrate. . a Disney Wedding, 30th Anniversary & Easter 2015 Updated 7/21

Departure Day Part I So Much to Celebrate. . a Disney Wedding, 30th Anniversary & Easter 2015 Updated 7/21

A Room Fit for a Princess So Much to Celebrate. . a Disney Wedding, 30th Anniversary & Easter 2015 Updated 7/21

No Food for You Part 1 So Much to Celebrate. . a Disney Wedding, 30th Anniversary & Easter 2015 Updated 7/21

No Food for You Part 2 So Much to Celebrate. . a Disney Wedding, 30th Anniversary & Easter 2015 Updated 7/21

April 4 Magic Kingdom Part 1 So Much to Celebrate. . a Disney Wedding, 30th Anniversary & Easter 2015 Updated 8/1 Wedding Plannin

Michelle's Wedding Planning So Much to Celebrate. . a Disney Wedding, 30th Anniversary & Easter 2015 Updated 8/1 Wedding Plannin

More Wedding PlansSo Much to Celebrate. . a Disney Wedding, 30th Anniversary & Easter 2015 Updated 8/13 Life Upd Flood

April 4 Magic Kingdom Part 2 So Much to Celebrate. . a Disney Wedding, 30th Anniversary & Easter 2015 Updated 8/13 Life Upd Flood

Life Update The Flood of 2016 So Much to Celebrate. . a Disney Wedding, 30th Anniversary & Easter 2015 Updated 8/13 Life Upd Flood

April 4 Magic Kingdom Part 3 So Much to Celebrate. . a Disney Wedding, 30th Anniversary & Easter 2015 Updated 8/31 MK part 3

April 4 MK Part 3 Continued So Much to Celebrate. . a Disney Wedding, 30th Anniversary & Easter 2015 Updated 8/31 MK part 3

More Wedding plans So Much to Celebrate. . a Disney Wedding, 30th Anniversary & Easter 2015 Updated 8/31 MK part 3

April 4 Magic Kingdom Part 4 So Much to Celebrate. . a Disney Wedding, 30th Anniversary & Easter 2015 Updated 8/31 MK part 3

April 4 Magic Kingdom Part 5 So Much to Celebrate. . a Disney Wedding, 30th Anniversary & Easter 2015 Updated 10/27 MK part 5

April 4 Magic Kingdom Part 5 continued So Much to Celebrate. . a Disney Wedding, 30th Anniversary & Easter 2015 Updated 10/27 MK part 5

April 4 Magic Kingdom Part 6 So Much to Celebrate. . a Disney Wedding, 30th Anniversary & Easter 2015 Updated 3/1 MK part 6

April 4 Magic Kingdom Part 7 So Much to Celebrate. . a Disney Wedding, 30th Anniversary & Easter 2015 Updated 3/1 MK part 7

Disney Baby Shower So Much to Celebrate. . a Disney Wedding, 30th Anniversary & Easter 2015 Updated 3/26

April 5th Epcot part 1So Much to Celebrate. . a Disney Wedding, 30th Anniversary & Easter 2015 Updated 3/26

April 5th Epcot part 1 continued So Much to Celebrate. . a Disney Wedding, 30th Anniversary & Easter 2015 Updated 3/26

Easter Sunday-Travel Day part 2 (Michelle) So Much to Celebrate. . a Disney Wedding, 30th Anniversary & Easter 2015 Updated 3/26

April 6th Animal Kingdom (Michelle) So Much to Celebrate. . a Disney Wedding, 30th Anniversary & Easter 2015 Updated 3/29

April 5th Epcot Part 2 So Much to Celebrate. . a Disney Wedding, 30th Anniversary & Easter 2015 Updated 3/29

Life Update/Prom So Much to Celebrate. . a Disney Wedding, 30th Anniversary & Easter 2015 Updated 3/29

April 5th Epcot Walking Around the World part 2 So Much to Celebrate. . a Disney Wedding, 30th Anniversary & Easter 2015 Updated 3/29

April 5th Epcot Almost done So Much to Celebrate. . a Disney Wedding, 30th Anniversary & Easter 2015 Updated 3/29

April 6th Chef Mickey's (Michelle) So Much to Celebrate. . a Disney Wedding, 30th Anniversary & Easter 2015 Updated 3/29

April 6th Animal Kingdom (Vanessa) So Much to Celebrate. . a Disney Wedding, 30th Anniversary & Easter 2015 Updated 3/29

April 7th Wedding Day Part 1 (Michelle) So Much to Celebrate. . a Disney Wedding, 30th Anniversary & Easter 2015 Updated 3/29

April 7th Wedding Day Part 2 (Michelle) So Much to Celebrate. . a Disney Wedding, 30th Anniversary & Easter 2015 Updated 3/29

April 7th Wedding Day Part 3 (Michelle) So Much to Celebrate. . a Disney Wedding, 30th Anniversary & Easter 2015 Updated 3/29

April 7th Wedding Lunch (Vanessa) So Much to Celebrate. . a Disney Wedding, 30th Anniversary & Easter 2015 Updated 3/29

April 7th Wedding Monorail Ride (Michelle) So Much to Celebrate. . a Disney Wedding, 30th Anniversary & Easter 2015 Updated 3/29

April 7th Wedding Party DHS So Much to Celebrate. . a Disney Wedding, 30th Anniversary & Easter 2015 Updated 3/29

April 7th Wedding Day round up (Michelle) So Much to Celebrate. . a Disney Wedding, 30th Anniversary & Easter 2015 Updated 3/29

April 8th Magic Kingdom Celebrating the Newlyweds (Vanessa) So Much to Celebrate. . a Disney Wedding, 30th Anniversary & Easter 2015 Updated 3/29

April 8th Magic Kingdom morning (Michelle) [URL="https://www.disboards.com/threads/so-much-to-celebrate-a-disney-wedding-30th-anniversary-easter-2015-updated-3-29.3525836/page-16#post-58100790"]So Much to Celebrate. . a Disney Wedding, 30th Anniversary & Easter 2015 Updated 3/29[/URL]

Last edited:
Background

As I said before we planned this out less the optimal 180 days out. As a planner it's very important to me to have more than the 180 days so I can have a better chance of getting the meals we want. But we didn't have that time and we were also going at one of the most crowded times of the year. . . Easter week:crazy2:!

Originally Dennis and I were tossing around an end of the school year trip with our youngest Danielle. We had not had a family trip since 2012. Danielle did not consider our 2012 trip a family trip. It was a Mardi Gras trip, she traveled with her Disney club from school as part of a YES trip. Dennis, Michelle, Chelsea and I crashed her trip. This was Chelsea's first ever trip and we had a blast. It was a quick trip with only a day in each park. We didn't spend much time with Danielle but we did meet up to ride a few rides and she ended up staying the last night with us and ridding back with us. We drove and the school kids had a big bus (not the big yellow bus). In 2013 Danielle went back with the Disney club again, this time without us :(. In 2014 Danielle and I traveled with the school competition cheer group to compete, leaving behind Dennis. So Dennis and Michelle were overdue for a trip and Danielle wanted a trip with her family. We would like to have done Mardi Gras again but Danielle was an important member of the school robotics team and Mardi Gras fell at the end of the all important Build Season.

Jimmy proposed to Michelle in November in New Orleans inside St. Louis Cathedral. They would have loved to have had a big Church wedding but Michelle started stressing about the reception. The more she thought about it the more she stressed. A reception ends up being a big party for all the people you invite and not really your party. You worry more about what will please everyone else and not you. She loves Disney and could think of nothing more Magical than getting married there. It would be a memory to last a lifetime surrounded by the people that meant the most to them. As much as they would have liked to have had more people come the truth is not that many people really want to spend the money to go. But a wedding should be about what the couple want not what everyone else wants. So Disney it was going to be, now to decide when. Jimmy has a daughter, Gia from his first marriage and arranging time for something like this is hard. They decided Easter week would be best, that way they could use that week as one of their vacation weeks and make sure she could be with them for the entire time. Well Easter day just happened to be our 30th wedding anniversary. I could think of no better place to spend our anniversary than Disney! Originally we looked at the middle package with the ceremony at the wedding pavilion but after doing a head count of who could actually make the trip we downsized to the smallest package. The only problem with the smallest package was they only allow 4 witnesses and our group was going to be a little more than that. You'll have to wait and see how we worked that out and where the actual ceremony was held.

The wonderful thing about a Disney Fairytale Wedding is just about everything is taken care of by Disney or you're given options and contact names and numbers. Michelle is a natural born planner and this gave her just enough to plan without being too much to stress over. She had to pick who her minister would be and what type of ceremony. She picked her make-up/hair person and her photographer. The site, music and flowers were from a list that Disney has. You're also given a coordinator. We ordered the cake from the Grand Floridian bakery and together we picked a place to have a casual meal afterwards. Keep in mind we did all of this about 4 months out. We didn't get all the meals we wanted but still had a blast. This was our first trip using DME and loved it. It made changing things so easy once we got everyone linked up. We also loved the Magic Bands.

We booked out package on 12/29/2014. Michelle lucked out and had a very good friend that graduated from LSU with her working in Disney. She booked Michelle's room with her family discount and then added the dining plan to it. Michelle added tickets. Between Michelle and I we booked several different meals and as time got closer we refined out list and canceled what didn't work as everyone's plans came together. I'm going to break it down by travel party how they got there, where they stayed and when they came and left.

Dennis, Danielle and I got there first and stayed the latest. I have to have as much time as possible. Our arrival date was April 3rd, Good Friday. We drove and stayed at Port Orleans Riverside. We stayed until Saturday April 11th. Danielle was really excited to have the back seat to herself for the first time until she found out she was sharing it with the wedding dress. Since we were driving we also got to bring all the extra stuff needed for the event and bring it back home.

Michelle and Jimmy flew out of New Orleans on Southwest. They flew on Easter Sunday and arrived early afternoon. The stayed at Port Orleans French Quarter. They were close enough to visit but not too close so they had some privacy. They flew back Friday April 10th.

Chelsea and Tyler drove on Easter Sunday. They spent their first night at a hotel on Hotel Plaza Blvd and then moved to Pop. They did not get the dining plan, which Chelsea regretted. They drove back Friday April 10th but didn't make it back to Louisiana. They ended up making a detour and spending the rest of the weekend at the beach recuperating.

Wayne, Carolyn and Gia flew in late Easter Sunday. They didn't want to rush to the airport on Easter since they had Gia. They also stayed at Riverside and had the dining plan. They ended up regretting getting in so late. They had to wait on their luggage and the food court was closed when they made it there finally. Their trip didn't start off too good but it did get better. They flew out of New Orleans on Southwest too and flew back on he same flight with Jimmy and Michelle on Friday.

Brent and Hannah didn't come in until Monday April 6th. They could only come for the wedding. They flew Southwest from Austin. They stayed at Pop too and did the dining plan. They flew back out Wednesday April 8th. I wish they could have been their longer. As it was they had to cancel plans to visit Hannah's parents in North Carolina to come.

Sorry there aren't any pictures for this update but have lots for most of the other updates.

Up next Arrival Day!

I'm here! Nice start. Looking forward to all the Disney wedding stuff as well as the regular TR stuff!

I'm here! Nice start. Looking forward to all the Disney wedding stuff as well as the regular TR stuff!
:welcome:Renee! I'm glad you're here! Hoping to get another update done tomorrow night. I think I might get Michelle to jump on board to help with the report too.

Departure/Arrival Day Friday, April 3rd (Good Friday) Part I

I know we left really early in the morning but I can't remember what time. I know I wrote it down in a little notebook but I can't find it. I usually take a picture to document but I didn't do that this time. This is one of the reasons I'm writing this report. As I'm getting older I'm forgetting more and more.

We normally drive and we normally do it in one day. The first part of the drive was pretty uneventful. Getting through Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama is pretty quick, but Florida takes FOREVER! First we have to go across and then way down. I did take a few pictures to document the drive.

Tradition is if you're driving to the beach or to Florida you take a picture in the tunnel that goes under Mobile Bay

Vanessa's I phone photos May 18 2017 621.JPG

Not much traffic at 7:28 in the morning on Good Friday!

We stopped for breakfast at 8:51 here.

Vanessa's I phone photos May 18 2017 623.JPG

To help occupy my time I put a post of Facebook about our trip using this picture of our trip binder. Each trip I put together a binder. Michelle has been my binder decorator. I think she did a fabulous job on this one.
Vanessa's I phone photos May 18 2017 624.JPG

We continued to make good time until we got on I-75 and got close to Ocala. Then we hit this.
Vanessa's I phone photos May 18 2017 625.JPG

The time stamp was this picture was 1:45 central time or 2:45 Florida time.

This really put a crimp in our timing. Most trips we can make it to the resort in 10 1/2 hours. This really slowed us down. I think it ended up being an accident. While we were stuck I got a text that our room was ready. We had 2 surprises for Danielle for this trip. We wanted her to feel special since everything was going to be about Michelle. We planed to arrive a few days earlier and leave a day latter than everyone else. This was going to be our second stay at Riverside. Our last stay we stayed in the Mansions and Danielle really wanted to stay on the Alligator Bayou side to try something new. When I booked the room I booked standard view. When Wayne and Carolyn booked they booked a Princess Room knowing Gia would love it. When the discounts came out the only room offering it were the Princess Rooms, so I had no other choice but to change it to a Princess Room. It was cheaper than regular standard view and would be a great surprise for Danielle. When I showed her the text and the map for where the room was she was disappointed it was in the Mansions. I had done online check-in and we could just go straight to our room.

I don't remember if we ever stopped for lunch, again bad memory.

Finally at 4:44 we saw this

IMG_5973.JPG

And then this.

IMG_5974.JPG

This was our building looking up to our room.
IMG_5976.JPG

Even though we upgraded to Princess we still had a standard view. Yes it was a view of the parking lot but we pretty much parked right outside out room, well downstairs of our room. We also did more driving this trip due to the wedding.

We tramped up the stairs and insisted Danielle open the door to try out our Magic Bands. When she opened the door and saw this

IMG_5977.JPG

She was pleasantly surprised and didn't miss that old Alligator Bayou room at all. Especially since the headboard could do this.
IMG_5978.JPG

Every night when we went to bed and turned out the lights we had to set off the fireworks before falling asleep.

I'm going to stop here but next post I'll do some pictures of the room and our adventures or misadventures with Downtown Disney.

Good news Michelle is going to jump in and give this report some of her details and insight.

Last edited:
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE POR!!! I've never done a princess room but that headboard looks awesome. We have almost always been a moderate resort family. I have stayed at ASMovies once I think...maybe...the details are sketchy, but we have most definitely stayed at CBR, CSR, and POR. I've always tried to get POFQ but because we used to never book our trips very far in advance, we never could get in there. In 2012 we stayed at SSR in a studio and this past June it was also SSR, in a 1 bedroom villa. For June 2017, I am renting points, so again, it will be a deluxe. One day we may make it back to a mod and if so, I will totally look into something like this. But, I have boys, so unless they want to take one for the team (Momma) we'd probably do a Pirate room at CSR.

Sounds like you made great time until FL! We are 7 hours away in GA and I'm planning on us leaving around 6am next trip.

Looking forward to more!

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE POR!!! I've never done a princess room but that headboard looks awesome. We have almost always been a moderate resort family. I have stayed at ASMovies once I think...maybe...the details are sketchy, but we have most definitely stayed at CBR, CSR, and POR. I've always tried to get POFQ but because we used to never book our trips very far in advance, we never could get in there. In 2012 we stayed at SSR in a studio and this past June it was also SSR, in a 1 bedroom villa. For June 2017, I am renting points, so again, it will be a deluxe. One day we may make it back to a mod and if so, I will totally look into something like this. But, I have boys, so unless they want to take one for the team (Momma) we'd probably do a Pirate room at CSR.

Sounds like you made great time until FL! We are 7 hours away in GA and I'm planning on us leaving around 6am next trip.

Looking forward to more!

I was just thinking a pirate room would be perfect for your boys. 8-)

We had several trips in value and would go back it I had to just to go. Value Disney is better than no Disney. We've come to think of Riverside as home. We loved our stay at French Quarter but Riverside has more. We're booked for Riverside in June 2017. I would love to try renting points but haven't made that step yet.

I was just thinking a pirate room would be perfect for your boys. 8-)

We had several trips in value and would go back it I had to just to go. Value Disney is better than no Disney. We've come to think of Riverside as home. We loved our stay at French Quarter but Riverside has more. We're booked for Riverside in June 2017. I would love to try renting points but haven't made that step yet.
I agree about Disney value being better than no Disney!

This time I'm renting from my coworker so it's a much easier transaction - both on my mind and on my wallet. I may do it again in the future but it really depends on the details. Which is why I said, we may very well be back to moderate after June 2017 (or even value!). Whatever it takes, right?? :)

Jumping in here!!!!! A WEDDING !!!! Oh I am in to read all about it. :love: :bride: :hyper2:

This time I'm renting from my coworker so it's a much easier transaction - both on my mind and on my wallet. I may do it again in the future but it really depends on the details. Which is why I said, we may very well be back to moderate after June 2017 (or even value!). Whatever it takes, right?? :)

If I had a co-worker with DVC and willing to rent I would be all over that.

Jumping in here!!!!! A WEDDING !!!! Oh I am in to read all about it. :love: :bride: :hyper2:
:welcome:Pat! Happy to have your here. I'm excited to share our Disney wedding experience:bride:. I've briefed Michelle and hope she jumps in soon to giver her first-person perspective.

I'm joining in! Can't wait to read all about the Disney wedding and enjoying the parks. I think it's awesome that your DD decided to concentrate on what would make her happiest and not let others sway her into a bigger, more informal wedding reception. (I wish I'd been that smart!)

POR has always been on my wish list. The place just looks so relaxed and comfortable. And those princess rooms...what girl doesn't want to stay in them at least one night?

The Mobile Tunnel! Anyone who travels around that area knows that landmark well. :rotfl:

I'm joining in! Can't wait to read all about the Disney wedding and enjoying the parks. I think it's awesome that your DD decided to concentrate on what would make her happiest and not let others sway her into a bigger, more informal wedding reception. (I wish I'd been that smart!)

POR has always been on my wish list. The place just looks so relaxed and comfortable. And those princess rooms...what girl doesn't want to stay in them at least one night?

The Mobile Tunnel! Anyone who travels around that area knows that landmark well. :rotfl:

:welcome:amazingact21! So happy to have you join in. I think this wedding worked out best for all. Everyone got a little "happy". We're headed back through the tunnel this weekend for some beach time.:smooth:

A ROOM FIT FOR A PRINCESS

Like all good Disers I have to get some pictures of the room before we totally trashed it. These rooms have so many details to see

IMG_5979.JPG

A welcoming Mickey!

IMG_5980.JPG

Not a room detail just Danielle wearing a shirt a co-worker made for her. I made her change before we headed back out.

IMG_5981.JPG

Looking back towards the door. (sorry it's a little dark)

IMG_5982.JPG

I just love this light fixture.
IMG_5983.JPG

Do you think it talks like the wardrobe from Beauty and Beast? It would be a neat touch.

IMG_5984.JPG

IMG_5985.JPG

Such lovely ladies.
IMG_5986.JPG

More loveliness!
IMG_5987.JPG

Details!
IMG_5988.JPG

Last edited:
Nice room photos! Looks wonderful. I think my 4 year old might vomit if he saw all that! Or at least pretend to! Hahaha!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!