Social Isolation Creative Meals

@Ravens girl The Beef Stroganoff sounds YHUMMM (It all does, but I ADORE that!) What do you find are differences/things you like better about an IntaPot and a corckpot, if you've had experience cooking in both? I was thiking about an Instapot, but got an air fryer instead (which I love), especially good for me, since my oven doesn't currently work. Love to hear your thoughts.
The Instant Pot gives me a lot of options. I can sauté my meats and then pressure cook. I do have to adjust most of the recipes because my husband is allergic to onions and garlic. I’ve been watching a lot of You Tube videos, there’s tons of them. I still prefer my crockpot for soup, it holds more. What did you like about the air fryer? We got one for Christmas but have only used it a couple times.

The Instant Pot gives me a lot of options. I can sauté my meats and then pressure cook. I do have to adjust most of the recipes because my husband is allergic to onions and garlic. I’ve been watching a lot of You Tube videos, there’s tons of them. I still prefer my crockpot for soup, it holds more. What did you like about the air fryer? We got one for Christmas but have only used it a couple times.
@Ravens girl - For me, with mobility and physical issues, the biggest thing about he air fryer is the ease of being able to clean it, vs. a regular oven, which is VERY hard for me to get down, and in. It's also a lot easier to cook for one. And it's a heck of a lot faster than a regular oven. So I'm much more inclined to use the air fryer than even the stove top to make say a steak, and it comes out much juicier, crisper, browner. I got a fantastic deal on it from QVC, with a lot of stuff included, and was able to put it on interest free payments, so I always like something better when I feel I've gotten a great deal too. ;)

I also continue to love my crockpot too, especially for soups, like you mentioned, and I'll probably be making a beef stew in it next week, IF all of my ordered groceries - that I now have to order WAY AHEAD, and stress on even getting a spot - now that the WHOLE WORLD has started doing it too - arrive to be able to make the stew. I love how even obtaining the basics has become a dog-eat-dog rat race, and you have to stress about everything, and anything even showing up!

I took leftover hamburger buns to make garlic bread with the spaghetti we had tonight. Used softened unsalted butter, garlic salt, and baked it for 6 min and then under the broiler for a little longer.

I remember my high school cafeteria doing that. Mine were better. Lol

This is my kids' normal favorite garlic bread - they won't eat any other...

Although, mine is dairy-free (my allergy), so I use both dairy-free hot dog and hamburger buns (whatever is left - and these tend to be the CHEAP store ones, b/c the expensive ones have dairy:)) and use melted plant-based butter, olive oil, salt, and minced garlic. I don't bother baking mine, but tend to broil it til it turns brown on the edges - it is amazing:)...and you never throw out a roll again...

PS - My kids call it "Hickville garlic bread"...although maybe we'll rename it in honor of this period...
PPS - I use an "eating teaspoon" amount of topping per bread side...so if anyone wants to repeat, that's how much topping is needed...

Anyone got any good chickpea and lentil recipes? Keep a lot of these anyway in the house but not going out for fresh food now so I am bored of lentil bolognese, curry, falafel and hummus!

I don't know why, but I bought ground beef like it was going out of style.

So tomorrow I'm attempting a Shepard's Pie. Although I'm not using lamb so I think it's a cottage pie? Just two of us so going to freeze leftovers.

I don't know why, but I bought ground beef like it was going out of style.

So tomorrow I'm attempting a Shepard's Pie. Although I'm not using lamb so I think it's a cottage pie? Just two of us so going to freeze leftovers.
Sounds yummy! Exactly what I grew up with. Top tip I leant recently from jamie Oliver is to include some frozen peas in with the mash on top, let me know if that's something you do too!

@Ravens girl The Beef Stroganoff sounds YHUMMM (It all does, but I ADORE that!) What do you find are differences/things you like better about an IntaPot and a corckpot, if you've had experience cooking in both? I was thiking about an Instapot, but got an air fryer instead (which I love), especially good for me, since my oven doesn't currently work. Love to hear your thoughts.

Since i bought an instapot last year i have never used my crockpot. Any chicken dish made in instapot is super moist. and the best ribs ever. I would highly recommend an instapot. Most of my meals over the last 2 weeks have been instapot meals. And the best hard boiled eggs are made in the instapot. Always perfect each time.

Anyone got any good chickpea and lentil recipes? Keep a lot of these anyway in the house but not going out for fresh food now so I am bored of lentil bolognese, curry, falafel and hummus!

I use lentils for the base of an Indian lamb (or veg only) crockpot stew - a jar of vindaloo or rogan josh sauce, a can of coconut milk, some crappy lamb pieces (this is optional - if you skip meat, you can use any Indian sauce, even butter chicken and tikka masala), any stew veg in your house - the more the better, s&p, and water up to the needed liquid amount for the lentils (minus the liquids already added)...cook on low 7-8 hours and serve over rice...

Since i bought an instapot last year i have never used my crockpot. Any chicken dish made in instapot is super moist. and the best ribs ever. I would highly recommend an instapot. Most of my meals over the last 2 weeks have been instapot meals. And the best hard boiled eggs are made in the instapot. Always perfect each time.
Thanx for the input, @DLfan4 !

Not very creative, but I made Dole Whip tonight. It turned out pretty good, but next time I’ll try to do a better job following directions. I don’t think the freezer bowl is meant to go into the deep freeze.

Sort of on topic, we are doing a "Eat around the World Showcase" Challenge with the kids (9+6), while we are in lockdown. Every Tuesday and Thursday, working round from Mexico, they have to come with 5 facts on the country each, 2 famous people, name the "restaurant" and make a poster or at least get me to do the artwork, and help prep the meal from the country.
So far we have had:
Mexico - "Burritos and Doritos"
Norway - "Elsa's Palace"
China - "Mulan's Dojo"

Germany is tonight.

Sounds yummy! Exactly what I grew up with. Top tip I leant recently from jamie Oliver is to include some frozen peas in with the mash on top, let me know if that's something you do too!

Well, I wouldn't call this one a win! :rotfl:

I don't know what happened!!! I followed directions exactly and it turned out so thick and soupy.
It still tasted good, but the potatoes just kind of melted in and it was just a thick gloop.
We still froze the leftovers and I will just call it "Cottage Soup".

My social isolation/creative meal is........ Frosting straight from the can and use packaged cookies as a spoon. Because of the social isolation I'm pretty sure if there aren't any witnesses it's no calories. Bonus if you eat this standing up in the middle of the kitchen, then it's negative calories. Bathing suit shopping is on hold.

I don't know what happened!!! I followed directions exactly and it turned out so thick and soupy.
It still tasted good, but the potatoes just kind of melted in and it was just a thick gloop.
As long as it tastes good! 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

Hey - Don't stress - still tasted good, so it's a WIN! Kind of like when I made my crockpot lasagna I shared above with the "no boil" noodles - they totally "melted" into the cheese and meat layers. Fail as far as being correct, but still TASTED really good! :) (I do admit to being glad I lived alone, and hadn't offered to share with anybody, which I often do when I make crockpot meals, so nobody coUld make fun of me, if they dared!) :rotfl2:

A week or so ago I made chicken tikka masala, rice, and cauliflower and served with lots of naan bread as a (distant) nod to Sanaa! Next time I’ll make mango lassi too!

I wish I could find an accurate recipe for the potjie at The Mara!! I would make that in a heartbeat!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!