Solo 2018, Disneyland ,California Adventures I Survived With No Maxpass & No Car

BadPinkTink

Republic of Ireland is not part of UK
Welcome to my June 2018 trip report with a difference. :) This time, instead of one big trip report with a huge amount of info, Im breaking it up into smaller more specific threads and will link them all here.

I travel solo from Ireland to California. This year I did a 3 part trip, San Francisco, Disney and Hollywood ,LA

In San Francisco I met up with a cousin who I hadnt seen in a few years. In Disney I was totally on my own. In Hollywood I met up with friends on some days and on some days I was solo.

Everything I have listed here I had pre booked online before my trip, with the exception of the ART multi day ticket and the train ticket from Anaheim to Union Station.

For travel around LA and Hollywood I use the local bus and underground Metro. I have a TAP card which I bought on a previous visit and I reload it with pay as you go money online before I leave Ireland.

My Disneyland Hints, Tips and Hacks
Whats in my park bag and my hints and tips for Disneyland, little bits that Ive figured out over the last few years that might make the first time to Disneyland a bit more fun :)

So to start, this was my itinerary

Sunday June 17 2018 - Post 2
Fly direct from Dublin, Ireland with Aer Lingus to San Francisco SFO
Supershuttle from the airport
Check into Travel Lodge Fishermans Wharf

Monday June 18 2018 - Post 3
Alcatraz Tour

Tuesday June 19 2018 - Post 4
Check out of Travel Lodge Fishermans Wharf
Supershuttle to SFO Airport
Southwest flight to LAX
Supershuttle to Motel 6 MainGate, Disney Way, Anaheim

Wednesday June 20 2018 - Post 5
ART Shuttle from Motel 6 to Disney
3 day 1 park ticket advance purchased online with Last Minute Travel Club
All day in Main Park
Fantasmic Blue Bayou Dining Package
ART shuttle from Disney to Motel 6

Thursday June 21 2018 - Post 6
All day California Adventures Park
Lunch reservation at Storytellers Resturant, Grand Californian Hotel

Friday June 22 2018 - Post 10
All day main park

Saturday June 23 2018 Post 14
Check out Motel 6
Change to ART Shuttle from Disney to Anaheim Amtrack Train Station
Train from Anaheim to Union Station, LA
Underground Metro Red Line from Union Station to Hollywood and Vine station

Sunday June 24 2018 Post 15
Shopping and people watching on Hollywood Boulevard

Monday June 25 2018
spend time with friends in Glendale

Tuesday June 26 2018
Paramount Studios Tour
Farmers Market
The Grove

Wednesday June 27 2018
Shopping and spending time with friends in South Pasadena

Thursday June 28 2018
spend time with friends

Friday June 29 2018
spend time with friends

Saturday June 30 2018
Check out of Hollywood AirBnB
Local DASH bus to Hollywood and Vine station
FLYAWAY bus shuttle from Hollywood and Vine station to LAX
Direct flight from LAX to Dublin, Ireland with Aerlingus

Last edited:
Sunday June 17 2018
Fly direct from Dublin, Ireland with Aer Lingus to San Francisco SFO
Supershuttle from the airport
Check into Travel Lodge Fishermans Wharf

I got the bus from my home to the airport, which is aprox 1 hour travel time. The weather in Ireland was cold and overcast and I was really looking forward to just getting away for a while. The last year has been extremely stressful and intense, as well as working I have also been attending night school and studying for a BA Honours Degree.

here is the link to the first of my mini reports, my review of flying to California with Aer Lingus. In this review I have
  1. A brief overview about Aer Lingus
  2. Prices and how I booked
  3. Dublin Airport information for passengers travelling to USA
  4. In flight food and beverage information
  5. In flight entertainment information
Once I landed at San Francisco airport, I collected my checked bag and made my way outside to the Supershuttle pick up point.

Then it was on to my hotel in Fishermans Wharf area of San Francisco. This is my review of the motel I stayed at Travel Lodge Fishermans Wharf

My original plan was just to relax and chill after the long flight but my cousin contacted me and said he was free on the Sunday evening, so after a quick refresh I went out to meet him and have some food.

He drove me back to my motel and I was finally able to get some rest at about 10pm.

Last edited:
Monday June 18 2018

On Monday I went on the Alcatraz Tour. Tickets go onsale 90 days in advance and book out quickly. I booked my ticket at the 80 day mark and booked the 11.30 am cruise departure.

This is the website I bought my ticket from https://www.alcatrazcruises.com/
The ticket cost $38

After a late start, I walked down Bay Street to Starbucks for some breakfast and then continued walking down Bay Street to Pier 33, the Alcatraz Cruise / Tour departure point.

I was a bit early for my departure time, so I sat for a while on a seafront viewing area / bench and finished my breakfast.

Once I had finished eating, I walk back to Pier 33. There are limited facilities at the departure area. The restrooms were portaloos and there is a small cafe area. There is a large ish waiting area with round table, chairs and umbrellas.

Like in Disney you line up to board. They start boarding approx 30 minutes before your departure time. It takes about 15 minutes to travel from the mainland to Alcatraz. Once you reach the island, there is a short welcome / orientation by a park ranger and then you are on your own. The island is self guided and there is alot of walking. The main building is the prison building which is right at the top of the hill. It is 1/4 mile up 4 very steep switchbacks. There are benches along the way. They also have a shuttle cart from the dock to the prison building for those with mobility issues.

At the prison, you collect your free audio guide and off you go. They also have a number of free talks and exhibitions are various locations and times.

Boats back to the mainland are every 30 minutes and are on a first come basis.

After Alcatraz I walked back to Pier 39 which is the main shopping area. I again met my cousin and we had food at Hard Rock Cafe. After Hard Rock we walked down towards Fishermans Wharf and went to see the seals.

My cousin went home and I walked back to my hotel, with a slight detour to the Krispy Creme cafe

Last edited:
Tuesday June 19 2018
Check out of Travel Lodge Fishermans Wharf
Supershuttle to SFO Airport
Southwest flight to LAX
Supershuttle to Motel 6 MainGate, Disney Way, Anaheim

So today is the day I do my first switch of location.

Check out time is 11.am and I had originally booked Supershuttle for a 12pm pickup. After speaking with my cousin the night before, I decided to see if I could change my pickup time to an earlier timeslot. I had never done this before so I was a bit nervous.

I went to supershuttle website and retrieved my booking. There was a timeslot of 11.30am available so I rebooked to that. I got a confirmation email and breathe... lol

After another late stat, well I am on vacation, I was on the move around 10am. I had missed the free breakfast, so after leaving my large case at the Travel Lodge reception, I went down to Starbucks.

I can back at 11.15 and was ready for my 11.30 Supershuttle pickup. The van arrived exactly at 11.30am and I was the first pickup. Thats ok, having used Supershuttle many times, I had allowed extra time.

Um WOW, the San Francisco roads , are something else. The supershuttle driver was great, he warned me about going UP to the next hotel. For a minute there I thought I was at Disney and on Indiana Jones!!

Made it to SFO in plenty of time for my flight.

Click Here To Read My Review Of Flying With SouthWest Without Printing A Boarding Pass

This was only my second time to fly with SouthWest and it is such a different experience than flying with budget airline in Europe.

Some observations about domestic flying in America. The amount of dogs flying in the cabin. We dont have that in Europe. I was very surprised to see dogs at the departure gates both being walked on leads and in travel cases. Thats something you dont see on European flights.

We also dont have kerbside check in in European airports and baggage reclaim is not in a general public area in Europe. Im always amazed that in America where security is such a big deal, that the bag reclaim area is open to the general public and anyone can walk in off the street.

The flight was uneventful and once I had found my bag it was off again to find the Supershuttle pickup point at LAX. Finally I was on my way to Disney.

The drive to Anaheim and the other drop offs were uneventful, although we did hit traffic on the freeway. As we got closer though I started seeing landmarks I recognised and that Disney feeling and excitement just made me smile.

Eventually I arrived at Motel 6, MainGate which is actully on Disney Way.

I have stayed here before and knew what to expect. I booked the room in January for a June visit. I booked a 1 king bed room, check in Tuesday 19 June, check out Saturday 23 June, so 4 nights. The total quoted on my January booking, which I paid when I checked in was $573.25

In the special request I had written a very polite request to be assigned a room in the main building, which was access by the elevator. I am very happy to say that this request was fulfilled and I had a room on the 2nd floor, on the inside/ pool side of the building.

At checkin I also bought my 5 day ART ticket from the Motel 6 reception. This cost $23 and was activated on first use.

After reaching my room, I did a quick freshen up went for a walk to the 7 11 which is almost at the back of Motel 6. I walked through the carpark to the back of Motel 6 which is actually called S Zeyn Street on the map and then around the corner to the left onto W Katella Avenue. Its about a 5 minute walk and it was nice to be outside in the cool of the evening after a day travelling.

At the 7 11 I bought a 5 Gallon Still water, soda and snacks. They did have hot pizza but I really didnt want anything that heavy.

I just went back to my room and had an early night, as I knew I would be up early the next day for Disneyland

Last edited:

Wednesday June 20 2018
3 day 1 park ticket advance purchased online with Last Minute Travel Club
All day in Main Park
Fantasmic Blue Bayou Dining Package

Day 1 of 2018 in Disneyland :)

I set my alarm for 6.30am and managed to get up by 7am, I really dont like mornings, lol
As Motel 6 does not have breakfast options, I had a quick snack in my room and was on the move by 7.30am. I think. Disney opened at 8.am but I was not aiming for 8am, just whenever I get there time.

I think I got the ART at 7.50am and was at security for just after 8am. It took awhile to get through, I always seem to pick the slow moving line. but I think I was through by 8.20am. Then it was another line at the entrance turnstile.

I had pre booked my ticket with Last Minute Travel club. When I reached the entrance turnstile, the CM scanned my print out voucher, took my photo and printed out the proper park ticket.

I use a small backpack and I have a plastic lanyard pouch attached to a belt clip with a retractable cord, something like this

s-l300.jpg

I attach this to the strap of my backpack so that it is easy to reach.

Once through and onto Mainstreet, after getting a photo of Walts apartment and the fire-station, it was straight into the shops. The first thing I wanted to do was to get the Class of 2018 Graduation Hat Mickey Ears. After 4 years of study I now have a BA degree and what better way to celebrate than be in Disneyland :)

When I was paying for the hat, the CM at the cash desk asked was it for me and would she cut off the tags. I said yes it was and not only did she cut off the tags, she also found a Just Graduating Button for me :)

With my new hat, it was time for my next stop, coffee. So across to Starbucks I go. Ahh thats better.

Coffee in hand, I headed to Adventureland and my first ride Pirates. By now it was around 9am. Adventureland was almost deserted and Pirates was a walk on! I had just finished my coffee by the time I reached the boat loading CM.

After Pirates, Fantasyland was next.

Im not going to go through my entire day so I will just list out the rides / my touring plan and then write the highlights and low lights of the day

1. Pirates
  2. Peterpan
  3. SnowWhite
  4. Pinochio
  5. Toads Wild Ride
  6. Alice Adventures
  7. Quick photo of Belle and Beast on the way into Toontown
  8. Cheese Pizza snack at Daisys Diner, eaten at one of the tables with an umbrella
  9. Train from Fantasyland to Main Street
  10. The Disney Gallery / Great Moments with Mr Lincoln, watched the video, and had a good look at all the photos, found THE bench :)
  11. Had a quick wander into Main Street Cinema
  12. Got the Mainstreet Vehicles - Omnibus from the top of Mainstreet down to The Castle / Hub
  13. Got an Indiana Jones Fastpass using the Fastpass machine
  14. Bought a doughnut from the snack cart
  15. Into Frontierland and over Mark Twain Riverboat
  16. Saw Tiana get off the boat
  17. Shops in New Orleans Square
  18. Sat for a while and listened to The Pirates singing group
  19. Saw RED walking by and took a photo
  20. Got a Haunted Mansion Fastpass using the Fastpass machine
  21. Blue Bayou Fantasmic Dining Package Meal, requested a waterside table
  22. Used Haunted Mansion Fastpass
  23. Used Indiana Jones Fastpass
  24. Winnie The Pooh
  25. Fantasmic first show and stayed to watch fireworks
  26. Jungle Cruise
  27. Shopping on the way back to Mainstreet
  28. ART bus back to Motel 6 at 11pm
Highlights
1.Pin Trading - yes its still a thing. I have about 10 trading pins, which I keep in a ziplock baggie. I do pin trading mainly in the morning time. As many other have noticed , there are alot of scrappers / fakes on the boards and CM lanyards. I do have specific pins I look for, but usually my main aim is just to trade out all my pins and get a new batch. If I see something of real interest then its a bonus. When I get back to my hotel after a day in the parks, I always check the pins I have recied as trades on pinpics.

2. Low Crowds until 11.15am - Getting up early is a huge advantage, the parks are empty during the first 3 hours approx and you can get so much done. Being there at 8am to be the first in the parks in not really that much of an advantage. Pirates was a walk on at 9am, and Peter Pan had a 20 minute wait at 9,30am You really need to hit Fantasyland before 11am though, as after that its waaay too many people and kids packed into a small area and the wait times just rocket up.

3. Doughnuts - thanks to a tip from a poster here on DIS I went looking for doughnuts on Mainstreet. For those who may wish to try these really delish treats, the cart they are sold from is at the Frontierland entrance at The Hub. When I first found the cart, it was about 1pm, and they did not have a sign up. I asked and they said they were sold out and to come back at 2.30pm. I came back at about 2.20pm and they had a sign up and doughnuts in the display cabinet. I bought the Lemon Meringue and it was really good :)

4. Red The Pirate
Again, thanks to a tip here on Dis I knew that RED The Pirate is out and about in New Orleans Square. I didnt go looking for her but when I saw her walk past I knew who she was. Many people didnt know her. I had a great chat with her. Im not sure if it was here on Dis or on Twitter that I saw that she apparently has an Irish accecnt. Well as I am from Ireland I just had to investigate this. I asked her where was she from as I am from Ireland. I asked her did she know Grace O'Malley, a famous real Irish pirate from 1600's. She said she did know Grace and and has been to her castle. Her accect was a bit off, though. She sounded more like Janet Munro from the 1950's Disney film Darby O'Gill, the one with Sean Connery, than any Irish person I know.

5. Blue Bayou Meal
I just love this resturant and always eat here. I requested a waterside table and had to wait about 20 minutes, which I expected. I was given a 4 top right in the centre of the balcony / waterside. As usual I watch the boats go by but then I noticed that no boats had been by for a while. Then I heard an announcement, yep Pirates went down. It was interesting to be in Blue Bayou and hear the ride announcements, and then finally when they fixed it, I heard the cheer from the boat loading area. Click here for my review, which includes photos of the menu and food

6. Fireworks after the first Fantasmic show
I have been to Fantasmic before, but this was the first time I watched the fireworks from the viewing area. I was at the railings and just WOW, it was a really great experience. It was like watching a second Fantasmic show.

Lowlights
1. Roger Rabbit in Toontown
- this was down when I reached Toontown. I stayed around for a while and had a snack but after about an hour it still wasnt back and I left. Other than food and restrooms, its the only reason I go into Toontown

2. Mainstreet Cinema
This was the first time I took a look inside. For somewhere to escape the crowds and sun yes, its a good place BUT the whole layout inside didnt impress me. There are 3 screens on 3 walls all showing 3 different cartoons in a loop. There are no seats inside, other than a bandstand thing in the middle. If it was more like a theatre setting I would have stayed and watched the cartoons, but I just went in and went straight back out.

3. Mark Twain River Boat
They have stopped taking people to ride with the captain. When I asked about this, the CM said it was no longer available on request and that the captain picks people randomly. I thought that seeing as I was wearing the Class of 2018 Graduation Hat and was one of the first people waiting at the gate, I might be chosen, but no, not this time. Im glad I did this a few years ago and got the certificate and photos.

Last edited:
Thursday June 21 2018
All day California Adventures Park
Lunch reservation at Storytellers Restaurant, Grand Californian Hotel

Today California Adventures opened at 9am so I had a little bit of extra sleep time :)

After a snack breakfast in my room I was on the move around 8.30am.

This morning I managed to get through the lines a bit quicker. I found out when I was waiting in line that the main park also opened this morning at 9.am. When I got through back check a CM was directing people to the metal detector on the California Adventures side as everyone was heading to the ones on the main park side. I got through alot faster and was on my way over to California Adventures

First stop this morning is Starbucks. In California Adventures its a bit confusing. Starbucks is actually called Fiddler Fifer and Practical Cafe and is located just at the corner of Buena Vista Street.

Again Im not going to go through my entire, Im just going to list my touring plan / waht I did and then the days highs and lows

1. Got Radiator Springs Fastpass
  2. Radiator Springs Single Rider
  3. Luigi's Rollickin Roadsters
  4. Maters Junkyard Jamboree
  5. Little Mermaid
  6. Bread Tour at Boudin Bakery
  7. Bread Pudding Snack at Pacific Wharf Cafe
  8. Sat in the shade under the Monorail bridge and had a chat to Citizens of Buena Vista Street
  9. Shopping at Elis and Co and Big Top Toys on Buena Vista Street
  10. Lunch at Storytellers Cafe, Grand California Hotel
  11. Red Car Trolley down to Hollywood Land
  12. Monster Inc
  13. Turtle Talk With Crush
  14. Sorcerers Workshop
  15. Shopping at Guardians of The Galaxy shop
  16. Tuck and Rolls Drive em Buggies in Bugs Land
  17. Bacon Mac and Cheese and Vodka Lemonade at Cozy Cone Motel
  18. watched the Carsland DJ's Dance and Drive at Flos V8
  19. Little Mermaid
  20. Pixar Pier Preview Exhibition at Walt Disney Imagineering Blue Sky Cellar
  21. Watched the Five and Dime singers
  22. Shopping near Soarin
  23. Shopping at Starbucks to get the You Are Here California Adventures Mug
  24. After Dark single rider Radiator Springs
  25. Soarin Over The World
Highlights
1. Starbucks California Adventures You Are Here Mug

Finally got this to add to my collection. I collection these mugs as souvenirs of my travels and I had got the Disneyland Mug last year

2. Lunch at Storytellers Cafe
really enjoyed my lunch. My reservation was 1.55pm and this was a really good time. The restaurant started filling up as I was leaving. This was my first time eating at this restaurant and I loved the decor and theming. Click Here to read my review of my lunch with photos of the restaurant and food

3. Turtle Talk and Sorcerers Workshop
Another first for me. I have read lots on here about this but never found time to check it out. This year I went in to have a look and was really impressed. The central area is a big open indoor air-conditioned space with all the attractions at the edges. It really is a great way to keep kids out of the burning afternoon sun. There are 4 things to do, this is where you meet Anna and Elsa from Frozen and the Animation Academy where you can learn to draw Disney characters. The hidden gem here is Sorcerers Workshop, on the lower level. For Beauty and The Beast fans there is a recreation of The Beasts Library as well as some great interactive displays.

4. Saying Goodbye to BugsLand
I managed to have a last look around and anther first went on Tuck and Rolls Drive Em Buggies, which is basically an old fashioned funfair dodgems ride. I can see why they are closing Bugs Land and transforming it into Marvel theme. It had much more potential than what it ended up being , especially for the little kids. Bugsland is closing September 2018

5. Pixar Pier Preview
I was in California Adventures 2 days before Pixar Pier opened. It was really cool to see this exhibition and see the models and all the concept art. It was such a great way to highlight the huge amount of work and the talents of the people who bring Disney parks to life. Im not sure if they have kept this exhibition open now that Pixar Pier is open.

6. Alcohol in the park
I tried the Vodka Lemonade at Cozy Cone Motel and yes, this is a winner... hic.. :) It was just the right combination of refreshing with the alcohol buzz. One was enough though and yes next time Im in California Adventures I will be back for more :)

7. Soarin Over The World
Due to the Radiator Springs Fastpass disaster I missed getting a Fastpass for Soarin. So Instead I decided to make this my very last ride before the park closed at 10pm. I waited in the general area and watched the crowds and standby timer. At about 9.45pm I got in line and when we were in the tunnel, they closed the doors. When I was eventually loaded onto the ride I was centre front row, ie at the top. Just before the lights went down a CM made an announcement that we were the last rotations for the night and there was a big cheer. It was such a great way to end the day at California Adventures

LowLights
1. Bacon Mac and Cheese at Cozy Cone

Again another thing Ive read about here on Dis. The Mac and cheese bread cone I loved, it was just the bacon pieces I didnt like. I would probably try this again without the bacon

2. Frozen Show at Hyperion Theatre Closed
I was really looking forward to this and had built it into my touring plan. Unfortunately it was closed on the day I was there.

3. Bugsland Theatre Closed
As Bugsland is closing and being transformed into Marvel, they had already closed this. I know many people didnt like it due to the bug effects and the spiders but I loved it.

4. ToyStory Midway Mania Closed
I knew the whole area around the Pier was closed to transform it into Pixar Pier. But the last reports I had seen online before I left were that Toy Story Midway Mania was open. But on the day I was there, it wasn't. I asked the CM and they said it had been open during the construction work but they closed it off that week in preparation of Pixar Pier opening.

5. Radiator Springs Fastpass
I had got a Fastpass for this early in the morning which had a return time between 12.45pm and 1.45pm. At 12.45pm I scanned my ticket and went into the Fastpass Line. After about 5 minutes there was an announcement that the ride had gone down. I decided not to wait to see how long it would be down. The CM at the entrance very kindly put an anytime Fastpass onto my park ticket, which meant that I could come back at any time and use my fastpass. As it turned out Radiator Springs was down for almost 2 hours and when I came back about 4pm the Fastpass line was massive long, all the way back to the front of Luigis! I hung around for awhile in Carsland but the fastpass line never went down to below 45 minutes for the rest of the evening. I guess everyone using Maxpass switched around their fastpasses. In the end I gave up on using my fastpass and just went through the single rider line.

Last edited:
Thank you for posting about your trip and adventures. Some people post that they are afraid to take a solo trip or that they've always wanted to, but don't think they can do it. I hope your trip report gives these people encouragement! Solo trips are totally doable and can be so much fun!

Thanks for posting! Really enjoying reading it all so far. We are just starting to plan going to LA and San Diego, maybe San Francisco from Dublin next summer. There is so much to think about! I am glad it all went well so far travelling solo. I would consider WDW solo but wouldn't be brave enough for California!

Thanks for posting! Really enjoying reading it all so far. We are just starting to plan going to LA and San Diego, maybe San Francisco from Dublin next summer. There is so much to think about! I am glad it all went well so far travelling solo. I would consider WDW solo but wouldn't be brave enough for California!

Welcome and thanks for reading. Make sure to check out the links in my posts on this thread for more expanded reviews of various things. I have been travelling to California every June since 2009, sometimes with friends but mostly on my own. I travel solo and meet up with friends who live in LA. If there is anything I can help with let me know, as I am Irish and have a different perspective on things than USA people :)

Friday June 22 2018
All day main park

Today the main park again opened at 9am , so I didnt have to get up as early as I had originally planned.

Like previous days, I just had a snack breakfast in my room and was on the move again around 8.30am. I think I was in the park for around 9.15am.

Coffee again on Mainstreet and then it was off to Pirates in Adventureland. After the ride I saw this dodgy looking guy staggering around just beside Bengal Barbecue, obviously had been partying all night and was doing the early morning walk of shame home!!

Jack.JPG

This morning I was feeling a bit hungry so I got some fruit and babel bell cheese at Tropical Imports near Jungle cruise. This is new. It used to be on the same side of the street as Jungle cruise but now it is opposite and has table and chairs. The old Tropical imports is now a stroller park.

I sat down on some benches near Tiki Room to eat my fruit and I saw a CM I knew walk by. She stopped for a quick chat and when I had finished eating, I was off for more rides.

1. Pirates
  2. Fruit and cheese snack at Tropical Imports
  3. Big Thunder Mountain
  4. Got Buzz Fastpass at Fastpass machine
  5. Used Buzz Fastpass
  6. Got Star Tours Fastpass at Fastpass machine
  7. Autopia
  8. Monorail round trip
  9. Star Wars Launch Bay
  10. The end of Jedi Training
  11. Chocolate Parfait Tomorrowland Terrace
  12. Found a table with a great view of Jedi Training and waited for next show
  13. Round Trip on Disneyland Train back to Tomorrowland
  14. Got Buzz Fastpass at Fastpass machine
  15. Used Buzz Fastpass
  16. Bread sticks and Marinara sauce dip at Pizza Port
  17. Used Star Tours Fastpass
  18. Got Star Tours Fastpass at Fastpass machine
  19. Citrus Fire Grilled Chicken with Rice and Beans at Rancho Del Zocalo
  20. Shopping in New Orleans Square
  21. Got Buzz Fastpass at Fastpass machine
  22. Used Buzz Fastpass
  23. Standby Star Tours
  24. Used Star Tours Fastpass
  25. Watched the end of the fireworks from Tomorrowland
  26. Shopping in Tomorrowland
  27. Shopping on Main Street
  28. ART Bus back to Motel 6 at 11pm
Highlights
Again, same as my first day going on Pirates as my first ride in the morning.

1. Big Thunder Railroad
I haven't been on this in years, I had a bad experience on it around 2011 and it put me off. Today though I decided to just try it again and went to take a look at the standby time. It was 30 minutes so I just decided to go for it. It was still overcast so I wasn't waiting in line in the main heat of the day. Surprising I enjoyed it. Maybe it was due to the relatively short wait time or maybe it was because it was still the early morning cool , but next year I will try it again.

2. Buzz Fastpass
As I dont have data on my phone and dont use Maxpass I use the Fastpass machines. As you can see from above I was pulling Fastpassess for Buzz and then using them almost immediately. The standby wait time was almost the same as the Fastpass Return time. So what I did was
1. Pull a Buzz Fastpass
2. Sit in the shade under the Monorail Bridge opposite the entrance for Buzz
3. Wait in the shade for my Fastpass window
This way I had a far better experience. I still waited the same amount of time as the standby people, BUT they were standing in the sun while I was sitting in the shade!

3. Monorail
For the last few years I have tried to ride the Monorail BUT each time I went to the entrance they had stopped it due to the heat. The Monorail carriages dont have air conditioning so when the temperatures rise in the afternoon they dont run the Monorail. This year I went there in time and not only did I get to do a round trip, I also managed to ride in the nose with the driver.

4. Tomorrowland Terrace
Jedi Training Show, a table in the shade, a chocolate parfait dessert and WIFI!!! OMG, I think I have found my favourite spot in Tomorrowland

5. Tomorrowland between 8.45pm and 9.30pm
Great time to do Star Tours and Buzz multiple times in a row. If you catch it right the standby lines really drop, I mean 10 minutes, almost walk on for Star Tours!!

6. Personal Best Score on Buzz
Thanks to @WonkaKid who posted some hints and tricks for Buzz, I managed my personal best score, woop woo

buzz score.JPG

Lowlights
1. Star Tours

I did this 3 times and all 3 times were the same scenes. I was in different pods in different sides but each was the same adventure. I love Star Tours and would have done more rotations but after seeing the same thing 3 times I had enough.

2. Rancho Del Zocalo
While the theming is great, the food not so much. Its basically the same menu as Cocina Cucamonga at Pacific Wharf in California Adventures. I paid $14.49 for the Citrus Fire Grilled Chicken with Rice and Beans. It was nice but defiantly not worth the price I paid. I dont think I would eat here again.

Last edited:
Welcome and thanks for reading. Make sure to check out the links in my posts on this thread for more expanded reviews of various things. I have been travelling to California every June since 2009, sometimes with friends but mostly on my own. I travel solo and meet up with friends who live in LA. If there is anything I can help with let me know, as I am Irish and have a different perspective on things than USA people :)[/QUOTE

Thanks! I am looking forward to planning it, probably going as family of 5 for my 50th birthday. We were last at Disneyland in 2014 and i was keen to go back but it may be a bit busier due to Star Wars!!!

Thanks! I am looking forward to planning it, probably going as family of 5 for my 50th birthday. We were last at Disneyland in 2014 and i was keen to go back but it may be a bit busier due to Star Wars!!!

I will be there in June 2019, I go every year around the same time. Its always very crowded but Im expecting it to be really bad once Star Wars Land Galaxys Edge opens. If Galaxys Edge is open during my park days Im not going to even attempt it, well maybe I will have a walk around but Im going to wait until my June 2020 trip to do the rides

My Disneyland Hints, Tips and Hacks

1. Whats In My Bag
I use a this small backpack
71CP0E4kbtL._SS135_.jpg
Over the years I have tried all types of bags and I find this size works best for me.

Drinks
I take 1 bottle of water and 1 bottle of soda into the parks. I buy a large 5 gallon bottle of water which I keep in my room and refill the water bottle in the mornings for the park. The soda I buy either in CVS or 7 11. You can get 3 bottles for $3 outside the parks but in Disney 1 bottle is $3! During the day I will refill the water bottle when I am in restaurants. Other than coffee or alcohol I dont buy any soda or water in the parks

Makeup bag
In a small makeup bag I bring
mini packet of face wipes
mini deodrant
Factor 50 suncreen
hand held fan
travel packet of tissues
over the counter painkillers (Irish paracetamol)

Other Items
small palm size point and click digital camera
pins for trading in a small zip lock baggie
light bolero style long sleeved cardigan

2. Pre Planning
I am a huge planner and will plan out each day in minute detail. I make a daily itinerary, starting with meals and ADR. Then using Google Maps I plan out the order of rides and attractions. My touring style is to do all the rides and attractions in a land or area one after another and then move to a different land / area. I dont park hop or criss cross lands to get Fastpasses. I only get fastpasses for the rides when I am in that particular land. Each year I do a mixture of my favourite things and new things.

I use Dis and Twitter to keep up with news about closures and new things since my last trip.

3. Food
My must do restaurant is Blue Bayou, either just a meal or as a dining package. For other meals I am slowly working my way through every restaurant, so each year I choose places I have never eaten in. I will buy one snack per day and I dont buy candy or chocolate in Disney.

4. Cell Phone Use
I turn data roaming off and have my phone on Airplane Mode with Wifi turned on. I rarely use my phone in the parks, and I dont use Maxpass. I use my point and click digital camera to take photos, not my phone.

5. Shopping
There is no need to buy items in the morning or during the day. Disney does not run out of things, CM's restock throughout the day. The shops stay open after the park closes. Do your shopping when the fireworks or parades are on as the shops will be less crowded.

6. Get to the parks early in the morning
the first 3 hours after opening are when the crowds are lowest

7. Fastpass and Single Rider
So many people still dont use these and just wait and wait and wait in the hot sun in the standby lines. If you have data on your phone, use the Disneyland APP. There is so much information. And yes I know everyone is recommending paying for Maxpass but honestly I think its a waste of money.

8. Fantasyland in the morning
Low crowds need I say more :)

9. Afternoon breaks
Whether you leave the parks or sit and people watch or do indoor attractions but take a break from the sun and heat and crowds between 1pm and 4pm. Its really just madness to be standing in a standby line for 60 or more minutes in the hottest part of the day. You wont get so irritable and you will be recharged and ready to enjoy the evening when it cooler.

10. Meals outside traditional meal times
I know families with kids are not really that flexible on meal times, but if you can try to have reservations or go to quick service at odd times. You will have a far nicer dining experience.

11. Shoes
I wear well worn sketchers runners / sneakers/ trainers with cotton socks. You will walk ALOT in the parks, often up to 10 miles. Each night after the parks I soak my feet in the bath and give myself a mini pedicure.

check back as I probably will add more to this post :)

Saturday June 23 2018
Check out Motel 6
Change to ART Shuttle from Disney to Anaheim Amtrack Train Station
Train from Anaheim to Union Station, LA
Underground Metro Red Line from Union Station to Hollywood and Vine station

This was second and last change of location.

Check out from Motel 6 is 11am. After 3 long days in Disney, it was nice to not have to rush and get up early. I had some snacks for breakfast and went down to the lobby to check out the free coffee. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the coffee was drinkable. Usually coffee from these types of machines is not that good, but Motel 6 you did good :)

At 11am I was back in the lobby area with all my luggage, waiting for the next ART shuttle back to Disney.

At Disney I changed to ART route 15 to Anaheim Regional Transportation Intermodel Center (ARTIC) . This is where you get the Amtrak, Surfliner and Metrolink trains as well as Greyhound bus and Orange County Transportation Authority bus (OCTA). It seemed about a 20 minute drive and it was really interesting to see a different part of Anaheim.

The ART stops directly outside the station. You can actually see it from far away, although I didnt realise it at the time.

ARTIC_Front.JPG

The main concourse of the station is a large open area. The bus ticket desks are on the right, the train ticket desks are on the left, with the escalators up to the train platforms in the centre.

The train I needed was the Surfliner to Union Station. My one way ticket cost $13.26, unreserved seating. I bought my ticket at the ticket desk.

I had some time to wait for the train, so I got some food. There is a Wetzels Pretzel kiosk on the main concourse and a bar on the second level.

To get to the train platform, you go up to the train concourse and go across the bridge. There are just 2 platforms, Northbound to LA and Southbound to San Diago. Then depending on which direction you going, you take the escalator down again to the actual platform.

A few metro trains come past and then finally the Pacific Surfliner arrived. For this particular train you need to watch which doors open when the train stops. Not all the doors opened and I had to go down to the next carriage where a train employee had opened the door. The train was interesting to me, there were a number of steep steps up to the carriage.

Anaheim is the second last stop on the route, the train had come from San Diago so there were not that many passengers. Once the train started moving, a train employee came around to check my ticket.

The journey to Union Station took about an hour. There was just one stop, Fullerton and then direct to Union Station.

I have been to Union Station before, so I know where to go for the next part of my journey. Once in Union Station, I need to get to the Red Line Metro Underground platform. I just followed the signs, along the tunnel to the Red Line Metro Underground

At the entrance turnstile to the Red Line Metro Underground I used my TAP card to pay my fare. Then it was down the escalators to the platform.

At Union Station, the Red and the Purple underground trains share the same platform, so you just need to make sure you get on the right train. There are screens along the platform and announcements to let you know which train is which. As a rough guide, the trains leave approx every 15 to 20 minutes, depending on the time of day.

It takes about 30 minutes to get from Union Station to Hollywood and Vine Station.

When a train arrives at a station, there is an announcement of what station it is. There is also a route line map on the train wall near the doors. The train doors open and close automatically.

At Hollywood and Vine station, I got off the train and went up the escalator. You do not need to use your TAP card to exit the turnstiles, they open automatically to exit.

As I came up to ground level, I heard very loud music. The entrance to Hollywood and Vine Metro station is on Hollywood Boulevard, and as luck would have it, I had arrived right in the middle of the main parade of the LA Culture Festival! The streets were closed to traffic as the parade went down Hollywood Boulvard. There was nothing I could do, so I just went up the street a bit and sat in Starbucks with my luggage and watched the fun outside.

My original plan was to take the local DASH bus from outside Hollywood and Vine Metro Station to my AirbNb apartment. But as the streets were closed to traffic I just decided to walk.

I really really should have waited for the bus, but I just wanted to get there. I was hot, I was tired, and I had a 50lb four wheeler suitcase. I made it eventually, and I was sooo glad that my host had turned on the aircon, so the apartment was nice and cool.

This was my second time using AirBnB and now both times I have found really good places and had a really good experience. I would really recommend this AirBnB to anyone wanting to stay in Hollywood. It is approx 10 minutes walk from Hollywood and Vine Metro Station. PM me and I can send you the AirBnB link.

Hollywood AirBnB.JPG

This apartment is a self contained studio apartment, attached to a house, with its own separate entrance. It is an AirbNB only place, ie the host does not live in it when AirBnB guests are not there. It is a one double bed apartment with a kitchenette. Other facilities include
  • cable tv
  • aircon
  • medium sized fridge
  • microwave
  • cooker
  • kruig coffee maker
After recovering from my epic trek up the road with my luggage, I went back down to Hollywood Boulevard / Hollywood and Vine Metro station. There is a small convenience store and gas station at the end of the street but down at Hollywood Boulevard there is a good sized CVS, Dunkin Donuts, Pressed Juicery, Greenleaf Gourmet Chopshop and Shake Shack Burgers.

I stocked up on soda, water and snacks and breakfast items in CVS and then got take out from Greenleaf Gourmet Chopshop. I also found a really cool pop up market called Feastown Market which is on 1pm to 6pm the first and third Saturday of each month.

By now it was around 7pm and tired after a long day of travel I headed back to my AirBnB apartment. I dont really like being out when it gets dark so when Im on my own, I tend to be back at my accommodation by 8pm the latest.

Last edited:
Sunday June 24 2018
Shopping and People Watching on Hollywood Boulevard

So today was my Hollywood Boulevard Day.

I had breakfast in my apartment was up and on the move by 11am (can you tell I'm not a morning person :cool2:)

My first stop was Starbucks. I really love just being able to to have everything within 10 minutes walk. Then I decided to just keep walking down Hollywood Boulevard, from Hollywood and Vine Metro station to Hollywood and Highland Mall.

Ive done this journey many times on the underground metro so it was really nice to stroll along, with my Starbucks Frappacino enjoying the total randomness that is Hollywood Boulevard.

SSL25281.JPG

I think the walk took about 20 minutes but I was in and out of shops along the way so it might have been longer. I dont really keep track of time on holidays.

Once down to Hollywood and Highland, I saw the road was closed and lots of construction on Hollywood Boulevard outside The Chinese Theater. I asked one of the traffic wardens and he said they were setting up for Antman and Wasp film premiere on Monday.

As a result, the sidewalks were very crowded as everyone was squeezed in between the construction barriers.

I spent the afternoon hanging out at Hollywood and Highland Mall. The Americans reading this are probably rolling their eyes, but we dont have Sephora, Hot Topic, Forever 21 etc etc here in Ireland. Also I just love to sit and people watch, I love the atmosphere, I love the decor of Hollywood and Highland.

View of The Hollywood Sign from Hollywood and Highland Mall
sign.jpg

After an afternoon of shopping and people watching, some friends joined me and we went to California Pizza Kitchen. Again this is another chain we dont have in Ireland, and I love the food.

pasta.jpg

After the restaurant my friends went home and I took the underground metro back to Hollywood and Vine station. I went to CVS to stock up on food and then as it was a little after 8pm and just about bright enough so I decided to walk back to my apartment.

Last edited:
Monday June 25 2018

I wasnt sure whether to write about this day but it would look odd it I skipped it, so here goes...

This day is actually the main reason why I go to LA every June. For those who may not know June 25 is the anniversary of Michael Jacksons death. I am what most people would call a hardcore Michael Jackson fan, I was one of the fans who travelled to various countries in Europe and to USA to see him at concerts and events. Over 10 years from 1999 to 2009 my friends and I had the most amazing adventures. Now we meet up every year in LA on the anniversary of his death.

Michael Jackson is buried at Forest Lawn Cemetery in Glendale, which is the same cemetery where Walt Disney is buried.

On June 25 we spend the entire day at the cemetery. Most people get there from 10am onwards but I like to go early and have some quiet time before the main crowd.

I left my apartment, walked down to Hollywood and Vine metro station and got the Red Line Metro to Civic Center / Grand Park Station in Downtown LA, journey time approx 20 minutes. When I came up to street level I was on Hill Street and just walked down the street a bit to the bus stop. I got the number 90 bus at 7.30am from Hill Street to Glendale, journey time approx 30 minutes. There is a bus stop just beside the main gate of the cemetery on South Glendale Avenue.

I got off the bus and walked through the main gate and over to the buildings just inside the main gates. This is where the flower shop is. I had ordered flowers online for pick up on June 25

Main Gate.JPG

Then I walked up the hill and across to the Mausoleum to where Michael Jackson is buried. Only family of those who are buried are actually allowed into the Mausoleum, so we leave flowers on the patio of the Mausoleum and on the grass in front of it. Fans from all over the world as well as various parts of USA come to Forest Lawn on June 25.

People come and go throughout the day, some like me stay all day, some just for a while. I would say maybe 200 to 300 people come by.

Some years members of the Jackson family come by, but not always. This is a day for the fans, for reconnecting with old friends and making new friends. As Forest Lawn is private property, the media are not allowed to film which is why you wont see any of this on TMZ or Radaronline or any of the other celeb websites.

Forest Lawn.JPG

I leave at about 5pm and do the reverse of my journey. I walk back down the hill and get the bus just outside the main gate on South Glendale Avenue. I get off at Hill Street in Downtown LA and get the Red Metro line back to Hollywood and Vine Station.

Last edited:
wow, looks like my last post silenced everyone, oh well, now you all know, so anyways, lets continue with my LA report

Tuesday June 26 2018
Paramount Studios Tour
Farmers Market
The Grove

Another late start this morning. I had pre booked a tour ticket for Paramount Studios online. My ticket said 12.30pm

I was up and on the move by 11am. I walked down to Hollywood and Vine Metro Station. After a coffee stop at Starbucks, I got the 12pm Hollywood and Wiltshire DASH bus direct to Paramount Studios. The bus stop is just beside Hollywood and Vine Metro Station. The journey time is approx 10 minutes. Route Map and Time Table of Hollywood and Wiltshire DASH Bus Here

paramount.JPG

You can read my review of Paramount Studios Tour here

Paramount Studios.JPG

After the studio tour at approx 3pm, I took the Hollywood and Wiltshire DASH bus back to Hollywood and Vine Metro Station. The bus stop back is directly outside the main Paramount Studios exit on Melrose Avenue.

When I got back to Hollywood and Vine Station, I decided to get the bus to The Grove / Farmers Market at Fairfax and W 3rd Street. I have been trying to get here for a few years and the timings just never worked out.

I got the 217 Metro Bus from Hollywood and Vine Station direct to Fairfax and W 3rd Street. This bus goes all the way along Hollywood Boulevard so is great from a tourist point of view but not so much from a traffic point of view. I didnt mind, the bus is air conditioned and I was in no hurry. Route Map of 217 Metro Bus and Timetable here

bus to farmers market.JPG

farmers market.JPG

Farmers Market

I had a good wander around all the food places in the Farmers Market and had some food. I then took a walk around The Grove. I didnt do much shopping, but just enjoyed window shopping and taking in the atmosphere. Now that I know how to get there, I plan to go back next year.

The Grove.JPG

I did however stop by Cheesecake Factory for some takeout

Lemoncello Cream Tort
cheesecake.JPG

Once I was done shopping I took the 217 Metro bus back to Hollywood and Vine Station and then walked back to my AirBnB apartment.

Looks like a really detailed trip report! I need to go back and read everything, but your Alcatraz tour specifically caught my eye. I've always wanted to visit there, but have a really hard time with boats and getting sea sick. Did the ferry over feel very choppy?

Looks like a really detailed trip report! I need to go back and read everything, but your Alcatraz tour specifically caught my eye. I've always wanted to visit there, but have a really hard time with boats and getting sea sick. Did the ferry over feel very choppy?

hi and thanks :) It was a short boat ride but the boat did roll a bit. I walked around during the journey, from the inside, out to the railing to take some photos and I was fine, I didnt feel too unsteady. I was there in June and it was a bit windy in the bay but it didnt make me nervous.

Wednesday 27 June
Shopping in South Pasadena

Today I spent the day visiting with my friends in South Pasadena.

This is an area about 30 minutes drive east from Hollywood Boulevard.
south pas.JPG

Its a real old time California area, very very different to the grimy and flashy touristy Hollywood Boulevard. For more information check out the South Pasadena Wikipedia page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Pasadena,_California

My plan is to meet my friends at South Pasadena train Station.

I walk down to Hollywood and Vine train station and get the Red Line Underground Metro to Union Station. travel time approx 30 minutes. As I dont have data, I take a quick detour into Starbucks and using the free Wifi send my friends a message on WhatsAp to let them know I am on the way.

From Union Station I take the Metro Gold Line train to South Pasadena, travel time approx 30 minutes.

stride aside.jpg

Astride-Aside Sculpture at South Pasadena Train Station
More information here http://www.lataco.com/astride-aside-south-pasadena/

My friends meet me at the South Pasadena train station and we drive to Santa Anita Westfield Mall https://www.westfield.com/santaanita

After the mall we went to the grocery store and went back to my friends house for our evening meal.

At about 7pm they drove me back to Hollywood and had a look at my AirBnB which they loved.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!