SOLO: A Chunkymonkey Story - June 2018! NEW 8/23 Last SOLO Moments THE END - Final VLOG posted!

chunkymonkey

DIS Veteran
SOLO: A Chunkymonkey Trip Report
June 8-11th 2018

Hi Everyone! This was formerly a Pre-Trip Report and now it's an official Trip Report!

I'm Su-Lynn aka Chunkymonkey, avid trip report writer and all around fan of everything Disney including Star Wars and Marvel!

I booked a very very last minute trip to Disney World for June 8-11, and for the first time, I went SOLO!

CQPmRmUUOM8wKmTC9ZMzQPmreW7Jy-bUv-VdX7N0jyKS437SELSk6Yn1d6fMT43S47_NChIzhsERk6Y_8Y6hnSa-3YqwbHjZZz5XWrmYAwFiHaKnZlfiVf_l78ZdLpVq2Ff5ZhEuGblO8RHrIv99gH0Vjyz7-YebCkgEM5MQhHTyyKZGkLA5DU7jIDJBKx96RHXviZ9b72uGc-cgr57m7PtiTSOsin44D6XKEaKI2Vjs1ut9WmzjPeHH-SJIfD3nfoYeQmbZDaLZYOOn35Ehbt2xwVExCB-zJnMXfjAtiqgfVI7Ke2xv_vDPUZAGABPS4MbCL-aVAAYAFUU4X5P9hns6hy0D0yG7XpQT7ySubZ45VbacWFtjYZ5EGTUGvZwy6z9EWdlMy2MjJgIcJxtrboVX1Y3-RQ7-1IJrZgNUDANKyE4k9K42U3KndRAJIC8VVbDlq-fDaX54tMhPnjrA7mS05A4Pvt5aUdTIG-p669NNynCX6f1cXirCTE5d37VQ0YhCSHK-XPOSPiTZVXZjDhqU_oedaMi_yk6E-ECXJU-a8l835tKYZSvp16Onxu1mXphWthFhOW4zlFS2RQm8bP2eGZRG1ZtxRYPu4SKf=w432-h647-no

Epcot in May 2017, part of my BEST DAY EVER trip report.

Usually my DH, Steve, aka Chubbyhubby, travels with Disney with me but he was in California on a week-long stay to visit his family and I just did not have the time off from work. I could only manage a long weekend and California was just too far (we live in NY/NJ) so I decided on some place with a shorter travel time...Disney World!

This trip is turning out to be pretty budget one (compared to our past trips :laughing:), we purchased new Annual Passes but we haven't activated them yet, so I don't have to pay for park tickets. We also now own DVC (at the Polynesian as of December 2017!) so I checked a few days ago and there were studios available at Saratoga Springs, so my lodging was mostly taken care of. I only had to book one night for my arrival night which is very late on June 8th. I decided to just stay at a resort room I've always wanted to: Port Orleans Riverside in a Royal Room!
UPDATE: I have switched to a Preferred Pool Room at Pop Century as it was much cheaper and I'm hoping that I get a refurbished room. :)

I kinda have no idea what to do since I'm solo and can pretty much do what I want to, which brings me to the predicament: I don't know what I want to do! :rotfl:
#firstworlddisneyaddictproblems

I figure I'll take it easy and go with the flow. I'm not even making a spreadsheet - gasp :eek:!
But I don't want to have too much idle time so I need ideas. Do I spend time in Disney Springs? Steve doesn't like shopping so I probably don't get as much time there as I'd like to. Do I book a nice signature dinner for myself? Should I do a character meal? Do I just character hop? I'm torn, it all sounds so fun!

Here were my pre-trip report plans. Did I stick to them? I dunno, we'll see!

June 8th: Arrival at MCO late at night, ME to Port Orleans Riverside.

June 9th: planning for a lazy morning to enjoy the room a bit more and maybe walk over to POFQ for beignets. I'll check out and have them transfer my luggage to Saratoga Springs. I booked late morning FP+ for Epcot (SE, LWTL and TT). I'll hop over to DHS as I have a late lunch ADR at Mama Melrose. It's someplace I've always wanted to try and we somehow never make it there. My evening is free but was probably going to watch Illuminations or Fantasmic, however MK is open to 11pm, and I think multiple rides on the Peoplemover is a nice way to end the day.

June 10th: Morning FP+ at DHS (VoTLM and TSM), then...maybe a trip to Disney springs? Maybe lunch somewhere in the springs and then the evening...at MK? Not really sure. I guess it would depend on what park I didn't visit the night before. Thinking of also booking a nice dinner somewhere.

June 11th: My flight doesn't leave until 9pm which leaves me a good deal of the day in a park. I have morning FP+ at MK and hoping to swing by to AK for lunch at Satuli Canteen. I'll see what I can do at AK before I have to leave that evening, assuming ME will pick me up around 6pm.

That's it! A short trip, but hopefully a sweet solo one! Can anyone give me some ideas on what they would do? I haven't done much research on what events are happening in June...any new snacks/food items I should try?

Also anyone going to be there at that time who would like to have a Dismeet? :)

UPDATE JUNE 14 2018: I'm back from my trip and ready to write all about it! If you want a sneak peak, you can head to my Instagram and click on the Highlights for WDW June 2018 for almost all the live recordings from the trip. I treated it a bit like a Vlog as it helped to kinda "talk" to someone while I was solo. Sorry, I sound so awkward, and I'm not used to hearing myself speak so something to work on for future vlogs, haha.

Last edited:
Best trip report title EVER!!!

For my tips about solo trips - I think you have the right idea about go with the flow! I actually don't mind dining alone, since I don't have to delay for other people! It does make it more of an issue in trying other things or getting app-entree-dessert (I'm usually too stuffed)!

Things to do - maybe consider one of the tours at AK, like Caring for Giants? Also, the Donald Dino Bash just opened, so you should be able to get some super fun character photos! And then they are doing that whole "Incredible summer" at MK, so looks like they have some awesome photo backdrops. And there is that new after-fireworks dessert party.

Have fun!

Last edited:
Ok Su-Lynn, I promised I'd check this out "right now." And, here I am...I am all about the shopping in Disney Springs. I would also try to grab a cocktail at Mizners in the Grand Floridian. That is a bar Joe and I thoroughly enjoy! I would also suggest popping into Geyser Point, another great place to grab a drink and sit and relax...
My son Tim's favorite new QS is Satuli Canteen. I'm hoping to try it myself in October...Can't wait to read more...

Have fun on your first solo trip! Be forewarned-solo trips can get addictive! On my next solo trip, I'm planning to spend a day shopping in all the shops at Disney Springs. I've spent many solo trips stopping to watch all the animals in Animal Kingdom, too.

Since you’ll be so close to Disney Springs, definitely head over there and shop, drink, and eat! We are stopping at Jock Lindsay’s based on @Jenny Sanders recommendation and also doing lunch at Polite Pig. I want to stop in the Dress Shop at Cherry Tree Lane and a few others but we’ll see how it goes with my family with me.

Best trip report title EVER!!!

Haha, I figured you'd like it!
How did you like the movie? I thought it was a lot of fun! Not deep or brooding but to me it had a more Return of the Jedi feel with the humor and all the creatures. Steve really liked it. We're gonna see it again with friends next week.

For my tips about solo trips - I think you have the right idea about go with the flow! I actually don't mind dining alone, since I don't have to delay for other people! It does make it more of an issue in trying other things or getting app-entree-dessert (I'm usually too stuffed)!

I don't mind dining alone either, but as you said, it's just the quantity of food. I'm so used to sharing I don't want to eat a full meal and then not have room for snacks, because I like to snack! If I eat at a table service I may do likee 2 appetizers then go have a dole whip or something. :thumbsup2

Things to do - maybe consider one of the tours at AK, like Caring for Giants? Also, the Donald Dino Bash just opened, so you should be able to get some super fun character photos! And then they are doing that whole "Incredible summer" at MK, so looks like they have some awesome photo backdrops. And there is that new after-fireworks dessert party.

Have fun!

I think I will check out the Dino bash and maybe the new Up show - those are good suggestions. Maybe I can also finally watch Finding Nemo the Musical as well. :laughing:
That after fireworks dessert party looks intruiging. I don't know which day to do it for. Saturday or Sunday. MK opens until 11 on Sat and 10 on Sunday. If I do it on saturday I will probably still have some time to do rides and stuff, but Saturday is so much more crowded than Sunday at MK not sure if it's worth it. The fireworks both nights are at 9:15pm.

Ok Su-Lynn, I promised I'd check this out "right now." And, here I am...I am all about the shopping in Disney Springs. I would also try to grab a cocktail at Mizners in the Grand Floridian. That is a bar Joe and I thoroughly enjoy! I would also suggest popping into Geyser Point, another great place to grab a drink and sit and relax...
My son Tim's favorite new QS is Satuli Canteen. I'm hoping to try it myself in October...Can't wait to read more...

Hi Jenny!
Thanks for the suggestions! I am definitely going to do some (a lot) of shopping at Disney Springs.
Cocktails at a bar sound great. Not sure if I'll make it to the GF for Mizners but I was thinking of Wine Bar George or maybe Abracadabar.
I'd love to go to Geyser point though...sigh so many things to do so little time!
I love Satuli! I am definitely going to go there for one meal. The chicken bowl with rice and chimichuri sauce is my favorite!

Have fun on your first solo trip! Be forewarned-solo trips can get addictive! On my next solo trip, I'm planning to spend a day shopping in all the shops at Disney Springs. I've spent many solo trips stopping to watch all the animals in Animal Kingdom, too.

I love the idea of shopping at Disney Springs. I am usually so rushed when there because my DH wants to go ride stuff and I feel bad taking a day away to "shop" but I feel like on my own I won't feel so guilty haha. Also I'll be staying at Saratoga Springs for the first time which is so close, I think I HAVE to go, right?
I am definitely going to spend some time walking around AK. I don't have FP for AK so probably all I can do is just walk around.

Yes!!! I would just park myself there lol!
Yeah-lets try for a meet up on the 11th.

Sounds great! What are your plans for that day?

Since you’ll be so close to Disney Springs, definitely head over there and shop, drink, and eat! We are stopping at Jock Lindsay’s based on @Jenny Sanders recommendation and also doing lunch at Polite Pig. I want to stop in the Dress Shop at Cherry Tree Lane and a few others but we’ll see how it goes with my family with me.

I think Disney Springs is a must-do. I may do afternoons there during the hottest time of day, then I can just dart into stores, grab a bite, and then walk back since it's so close! I hope my room is not like the furthest room from Disney springs haha :faint:

Jock Lindsey's sound good too! I may check out Wine Bar George as well.

Also that new Disney Style store looks awesome!

How did you like the movie? I thought it was a lot of fun! Not deep or brooding but to me it had a more Return of the Jedi feel with the humor and all the creatures. Steve really liked it. We're gonna see it again with friends next week.
Overall, I liked it. I was worried about the beginning because the first bit didn't connect with me. I don't know why, but I wasn't a fan. Maybe that part was the previous director? But once Woody Harrison and Chewbacca showed up (not that it was them in particular, just that's the identifying point), I did like it a lot! Very fun. And Lando was AMAZING! I also loved L3-her hips don't lie!

I'm sure that cameo at the end was super confusing for you since you haven't seen the tv shows! That character plays a bigger role in the shows (both Clone Wars and Rebels) and his "back" (or middle) story is shown. It was definitely interesting how they took something that was exclusive to the CG shows and brought it full out into the movies and may have larger impacts. I wonder if they will do a Solo sequel or just continue the story in the Boba Fett and Obi Wan movies? Boba is in the tv shows a bit (well Clone Wars; he never made an appearance in Rebels, which I guess makes sense now, Lucasfilm probably knew they were considering these stand-alone movies so didn't include him or Han). Obi Wan is in one episode of Rebels, but that has to do with the Solo cameo character's final demise. (Sorry - trying not to be spoilery for anyone who reads these comments.)

Just popping in to place hold.
I'm not big on PTRs so much, but will comment occasionally.

Barely made first page ........ need to go back to read now.

Sounds like a great plan to me ...... as for the 9th - have you considered doing the Savor, Sip and Sparkle event at the Contemporary? Yummy food, good drinks and a lovely fireworks view. ;)

Last edited:
Following along. I have done two solo trips and quite like them as I can do what I want when I want at my own pace . My husband tolerates Disney and it is hard for my kids ( well young adults ) to join me now so solo is my best bet right now. Enjoy and don’t stress about your planning !

Hi! I have read some of your trip reports, but don't think I have commented. I had to join in here as I will have my first solo time at Disney a few days after you 6/13-14. I only have 1 day and an evening after a work conference, but I am excited to just do whatever sounds good. Your plans sound great!

I booked a very very last minute trip to Disney World for June 8-11, and for the first time, I'm going SOLO!
First of all, YAY!!!! Solo trips are so much fun and I am sure you are going to have the BEST time!

Do I book a nice signature dinner for myself? Should I do a character meal? Do I just character hop? I'm torn, it all sounds so fun!
Garden Grill is an awesome character breakfast, you might enjoy checking it out. Do as many character meets as you feel like and enjoy soaking it all in!

My evening is free but was probably going to watch Illuminations or Fantasmic, however MK is open to 11pm, and I think multiple rides on the Peoplemover is a nice way to end the day.
Watching Illuminations then hopping to MK to ride the People Mover sounds like pure perfection to me!

Thinking of also booking a nice dinner somewhere.
What about a progressive dinner at the monorail resort bars...... drink/appie.....drink/main.....drink/dessert...... My choice would be Mizners for an appie, the bar at Citricos for a main and the best dessert ever at Tambu!

Last edited:
Joining the fun! I’d definitely take advantage of the proximity to Disney Springs. I love snacking and shopping (& ok, drinking) my way around there. I also like doing a self-directed monorail tour doing the same. As I go more frequently, I feel less pressure to do attractions but you may prefer to maximize park time on a short trip. There’s no wrong way, and as a pro I think you really could just go with whatever you feel in the moment. So excited for you!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts