Solo trip from the UK?!

crazy_cremello

Listen to your Mumsy
I’ve posted on the U.K. boards already regarding my frustrating situation: my usual Disney pals are my parents but they want to experience other places. My boyfriend wants to save for a house and move out. And my friends either don’t like the idea of Disney or don’t want to spend so much money on a holiday ☹️

So I’ve been thinking about just going ahead and doing it solo next year. Not phased about doing things by myself as I managed to travel around Canada alone 3 years ago. My only concern is that, since I’ve been with my family on every other trip, would I feel really lonely and sad doing things without them? I know for a fact watching Illuminations will be really tough if my mum and dad aren’t there. But I don’t feel like I have many other options right now if I’m that desperate to go?

I also feel really stuck about my OH wanting to do adult stuff when I’m 24 years old and still live at home. Should I be more concerned about having a mortgage and moving out? My parents have always said they’re in no rush for me to leave and they want me to experience everything I want to do without feeling pressured - can’t help feel as though maybe I should be growing up and getting houses and things. I don’t want to spend my money on such things yet though! Only have 1 friend saving up for a house, all the others are still at home at the same age!

Wasn’t quite expecting to be coming here for a councilling session but here I am. Just really sad that I want to do a trip so badly and nothing seems to be on my side!

I may add that my plans would be a 3 week trip next November so it is quite a long time to be alone!

I’ve done 4 solo trips to Disney Paris, one solo trip to Disney LA and 2 days in WDW solo and I’m currently 28. I have same issues as you, people moaning about money etc or don’t wanna spend too long in Disney or love it as much as me. I’m 28 still living at home and sometimes have same worries like you about getting own place and moving on etc. You still need a holiday/ vacation at least once a year like everyone else so I say go for it. Like said I do solo Disney trips and also live in the UK. It can be quiet scary at first doing first solo Disney trip. I did first solo Disney trip at 21. You soon get over the fear of being alone and people at work etc will be concerned and thinks it’s odd your going on holiday alone but sod them they only jelous they haven’t got the balls to do it. Plus I think just because your single on own etc in life why should that stop you doing things. Can’t just sit at home and stop yourself doing things just because your on your own. I’ve never done more than about 5 days on own in a Disney park but that was just circumstances and time, I would do 3 weeks like you in future if I wanted too. I’ve just come back from Disney Paris a couple of days ago after going to a fan weekend and there was loads of adult grown up Disney fans there alone. It made me feel like I wasn’t alone. If you do feel lonely like dining on own etc I took a cheap guide to Paris book to read when dining alone etc but it turned out didn’t need it. I took lots of photos and videos so who’s to say your not a blogger and there all the time for example?

In 2015 I did a tour of USA with contiki holidays and everyone else on tour had a day at universal studios but I decided to do WDW for a day on my own as we only had 2 or 3 days in Florida on the tour and I wanted as much time in Disney as possible .

Ps - I always find the people who are shocked and think it’s werid doing things alone have never truly felt what it’s like to be alone in life and only wish they had your mindset and balls to do something like go to Disney alone. I would never say this but there face but I do think sometimes ‘omg how are you going to cope on your own if say your husband left you one day and you didn’t have many friends or family around for support?’. The greatest thing in life is learning to cope on your own and how to be happy in your own company I think.

Last edited:
.... I go the cinema on my own and do other things on my own.

Also like I was trying to tell work colleagues etc who where concerned I was going on my own ‘I’m a big Disney geek I just need a Disney holiday and let my Disney geek out every now and again on own or not, it’s not thing I do regularly go to different theme parks on my own every couple of months. You won’t find me saying I’m going to Alton Towers solo’ I’d tell them.

Plus it’s 2018 technology everywhere when I had a signal ( as didn’t have one everywhere ) on my recent trip to Disney Paris I would upload my photos and vids to social media when I was standing in ride queues.

I would say you should look at the big picture. Disney will be there down the road and you should start to try to get your life established so you can make all the trips you want in the future. Consider it delayed gratification. Plan for your future first as that is what you need to survive in the world today

I agree with Dachsie, save for the house. That's the smart play, Disney isn't going anywhere.

Go for the trip - vacations are needed by everybody. You may miss your family at moments and that is ok. Just let that go, or find a way to let them know. I often snap a pic and send it to a friend with a short note about how it made me think of them or the last time we were there together. Then I enjoy that ride or show in that moment. As long as you can send by wifi and avoid huge phone charges :). Also be open to chatting with other people. On my solo trips I have met lots of people in line, on the bus, offered to share a table when it was crowded. All of them were lovely people, not lifelong friends but fun to chat with for a little while.
And finally if you are worried about being lonely, think about picking a date or two and asking dis people to meet you for a meal or a ride. Somebody is bound to be in the park on those dates.

If your current living situation works for you and your parents. Bravo! We are a culture that supports independence at all costs. The sad truth is here in the US, that the cost of living and wages do not equate. We maintain the "pioneer" spirit to go forth and carve a way into the world, all the while many people needlessly struggle to toil just to live within four walls. Live your best life. Do what works for you.
As far as solo travel, I am going it alone for the first time ever in October. I'm intending it to be fabulous, albeit, different from the norm.

stop living what other people think you should do and start living what YOU want to do. Im over 40 and have been doing solo trips to Disneyland California for the last 9 years as part of a longer trip to California. I have also been to Disneyland Paris solo.

I run my own business, and have just completed a 4 year BA degree. I dont own property and I dont drive. Ive lived in 3 countries, and had the most amazing adventures and met the most amazing people.

Most people my age have a mortgage, the 2.5 kids, the steady for life job, me Im off to Disneyland in 2 weeks.

I see people I went to school with, who bought property before the crash in 2008, who are now in negative equity and will never be able to sell and have huge debts and are stuck in a life they have no way out of. Me, I dont own property and I am not in any debt, and I have a disposable income they will never have

Last fall I went solo for 3 weeks... I had the same worries as you that 3 weeks is a long time to be alone. By the end of the 3 weeks I was wishing I had more time. :earsboy:. As a PP said if your living arrangement with your parents don't bother you or them I say live your life... Have fun... If the people around you don't "get" you maybe they're not the right people for you. :smooth:

I'm a homeowner, and I'm really glad that I (co-)own my own house. It's been a really happy situation for me. But...it's not something that was even on the horizon for me at 24 years old. I didn't buy a house until I was 29, and then it only happened because a friend suggested that we buy a house together and that turned out to be something we could both make work. Until then I was renting; if I'd still lived in the same city as my parents I might have lived with them. And when I had money to spare...I went on trips. And maybe I should have been saving up sooner, but I don't think it really hurt me. And while I'm glad I own a house, I know plenty of people who don't and they live perfectly happy lives. It's not a default thing you have to do in order to cross the threshold of adulthood; whether to own a house is a personal choice you should make based on what actually suits your needs and financial abilities.

Honestly, I'd be more worried about putting money aside for retirement than for a house. That's what's always concerned me about the future. If you have a steady income you can always rent a home if you ever decide you're ready to move out but aren't in a position to buy property. I'd say look at what you're doing for the very long term--set yourself up so you're putting at least some money aside for retirement--and look at your overall budget and see where it's going. I route my income into that and into necessities first (mortgage, bills, groceries), and I took a hard look at my discretionary spending a while back and decided that I'd rather put money aside for trips even if it meant I would go out to eat or to the movies less often, replace my clothing less frequently, etc. My obligations and my distant future are paid for first, and I take my travel money out of the remainder.

As for the solo trip itself, I can't advise you on length, but I can tell you that I've done solo trips and loved them. It's a different beast than going with friends or family, but it's still a good time. Three weeks seems a little long to me, but then, I haven't been on a solo trip longer than a week in a few years, so I don't know.

First up - do the solo trip! You only regret the things you don't do. I did a solo trip in March, my friends thought it was weird but ah well. I hung out with the bar man at Trader Sams and in all honesty, got quite hammered.

Also don't stress about moving out, I had to move out at 18 and have worked solidly since then. I live in London and rent takes 50% of my income. I would have loved to have stayed at home to save, so make the most of the opportunity. Don't worry about what other people do, it's your life not theirs and in all honesty who wants to buy a house that young when you have your whole life ahead of you? You may want to work abroad/ emigrate/ travel indefinitely and unless you're paying cash then mortgage will be a millstone.

I am in the lucky situation of being a mortgage free home owner pixiedust:. So that means I will go on holiday alone if you want to do it maybe only two weeks and go for one of the value resorts to cut the costs?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!