• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Some bad news

minmate

I can show you the world... Don't you dare close y
Through a gift from my father, my dh and I are able to take our two oldest dd's (4 & 5) on their first trip to WDW in 2 weeks. We also have a 3yo ds and an 18 month old dd. They are staying home with my sister and mother. This trip was planned pretty much last minute and with the goal of providing our girls with a taste of Disney Magic, without the cumbersome issues often accompanying their younger sibs.

I have been having visions of strolling leisurely down Main Street, watching my children skipping, laughing and hugging and enjoying each other.

As luck would have it, my dh broke his foot a few days ago. He just went to the dr. for a follow-up today to find out it may not be healing properly and may have trouble ever healing correctly. They may put pins in it, to help it, etc. However, he is on crutches with orders not to put weight on his foot at all until he returns on March 18th to the dr's. This means our trip falls during the time he is waiting to find out how is foot is healing.

We have talked about renting an ECV for him. I will have to push the kids in a stroller I guess. I'm just having a hard time getting over the altered vision of how this trip is going to play out. We may not get back to WDW for several years and I wanted so desperately to have a carefree trip. Now, I fear it will be more complicated.

He wants to bring his crutches with him on the ECV so he can use them in lines. thing is, he is a tall guy, his crutches are long. Wouldn't this be cumbersome?

I've read a number of posts here and am feeling much more at ease about this new and different experience for us. I feel fortunate that this is likely a temporary situation for us. It could be worse, definitely.

Are there any other suggestions as the main attractions we will hit are for the kids anyway. How inecessary would it be for him to have his crutches?

We are renting car also, but I'm wondering if we should bother now since we aren't sure how easy it is to load the ECV into it. Has anyone had any practice in disassembling these things?

Any additional tips or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mindy

Mindy, I am sorry to read about your husband's foot. He, of course, is the first concern, & I sincerely hope all goes well with
the healing.

Getting around WDW in an ECV is not the end of the world although it is different that what you were expecting & dreaming. You can still stroll down Main Street, but your husband will be riding! Put in a different perspective - at least your husband will be with you & your two daughters.

Are you staying on WDW property? If so, WDW transportation should be fine getting you all to & from the resort to the parks. Getting from resort to resort takes longer without your own transportation.

I would recommend renting an ECV from an offsite provider. I'm sure Cheshire Figment will be along with his list of ECV providers & other info. I have rented several times from Walker Mobility over the past couple of years & have been very satisfied.

As for attractions at WDW, your husband may or may not want to get up & about at every ride. Maybe you can take the girls on some rides. I'm sure you both want to experience the girls' faces, expressions as they expereince an attraction, but this may be where you have to make some changes. Just be sure he (& you & the girls) doesn't push himself & just enjoys WDW! You can do it even if it is different than your pretrip visions :).

Thank you for your encouragement. I really was feeling sorry for myself much of the day when I first realized that things weren't going to go as I'd "planned." The funny thing is, they never do anyway, when we have such idealized visions of something. Now, after reading many of the posts here, I feel pretty selfish for being disappointed. I mean, after all, this is likely a temporary mobility impairment for my dh. There are so many parents and families here that have children and spouses and family members that deal with disabilities -- real and lifelong situations -- that triumph over these types of challenges every day.

I used to work at a center for children with very severe physical, mental and/or developmental disabilities and disorders. Sometimes it was so heartbreaking, and yet, other times, the families and the children themselves were such a powerful influence in inspiring me to keep my perspective in the world. I truly commend all of the individuals on this board that give of themselves so fully, emotionally, physically and mentally, to overcome their obstacles and the obstacles of their loved ones, to provide them with enjoyable life experiences such as a trip to WDW. Truly, just a trip to the shopping mall can be an undertaking that probably goes unnoticed by many. You are inspirations to me and I think that while I am still uncertain about many of the logistics involved in my own family's trip, just simply reminding myself about some of the stories I've read here will keep me in a positive frame of mind. thank you so much for touching me... all of you.

Here are the urls and phone numbers:

Walker Mobility:
888-726-6837
www.walkermobility.com

Care Medical:
http://www.caremedicalequipment.com/
407-856-2273, Toll Free U.S and Canada (800) 741-2282

Randy'S Mobility is in Kissimmee
http://randysmobility.com
407-892-4777

Colonial Medical
http://www.colonialmed.com/about_cms.html
800-747-0246

ScootAround
http://www.scootaround.com
Toll-free, US and Canada 888-441-7575

I have used Walker a few times. They will ask for a credit card and charge it the day before arrival. They will deliver the ECV to your hotel bell services before your arrival and pick it up there after your departure. Their rates, especially for longer than a week, are much better than Disney's. Also, their scooters are much better.

You don't say if you are renting a car or what. If you are using a car for getting around, the ECVs break down into five pieces, the heaviest about 39 pounds. They take about a minute or so to take apart and about two minutes (once you are used to it) to put it together.

If you want, I can post more detailed instructions for you. Make sure the car is at least a full-size four-door (premium or luxury would afford more room). For example, in a Buick Century trunk an ECV is a tight fit, in a LeSabre it is easy, and in a Park Avenue you can also fit strollers or bags as well as the ECV.

Another suggestion is find out your state's requirements for a temporary disabled hang tag and get the paper work and have your doctor sign off on it. The tag will allow you to use any of the handicap parking areas (which will be a necessity). Also, with the policy of charging for valet parking, with a handicap hang tag the fees will be waived. Also the valets will usually volunteer to assist in loading/unloading an ECV. In Virginia I printed the required form from the DMV website. When I took the completed form to the DMV Office it took less than 15 minutes from the time I walked in until I had my tag.

You can use a bungee cord to help keep crutches or a folded up walker on the EVC or wheelchair. Usually it would be a short walk with the crutches from the wheelchair or EVC. Also, you can tell the company that you need a "crutch mount" and that can be installed on the ECV; I think there is generally a one-time c\harge of about $10.00

Good luck and let us know what finally happens.

thanks for the info! DH was talking to a guy from Discount Mobility USA. Have you heard of them? I haven't seen their name anywhere on this site. I've seen the company you mention, Walker, frequently though! thanks so much!

I needed this information as well, so thanks! Could you give me an approx cost for a week's rental? We will need one from Monday through Friday.

Most of the rentals for a standard ECV run about $30.00 per day and top off at a little under $200.00 for a week. If you rent for more than one week the prices go down further.

Mike/Cheshire Figment, I knew you would post the info! Thanks!

Mindy, I am glad you have found some encouragement from reading these bbs. We all have a lot to be thankful for every day. And just think, you are going to WDW! Stay positive & have fun!

Sorry to hear about your husband's bad fortune. It looks like other posters have already given you a lot of good info, so there is not a lot to add.
DH was talking to a guy from Discount Mobility USA. Have you heard of them? I haven't seen their name anywhere on this site.
That is not a site that I have ever heard of before (doesn't mean they arre not good, just that no one has mentioned using them on the DIS before.
The list that Cheshire Figment posted is the list of places that DIS posters have reported good expereinces with. Care, Walker and Randy's Mobility are the most often mentioned. Scootaround is one that we have only a few reports of people using.

As the others mentioned, he should bring the crutches with him on the ecv. For most rides, the ecv will be able to come right in the rides with him. He should ride the ecv to the boarding area and then, he can use the crutches to actually get into the ride car.
For some of the rides that your DDs will probably want to go on (like Dumbo and the Teacups), your DH have a hard time getting on. Those are rides that I personally don't go on because I can't take the spinning. So.... my "job" was to position myself where I would be able to see DH and my girls on the ride, wave to them as they go by and take pictures. I've gotten some good pictures over the years and DDs liked having someone to look for and wave to. Here's a link to the official Disney site Guests with Disabilities info. if you click on the Mobility Disabilities link on the top of that page, it will give you helpful info about touring with mobility disabilities, including a list of rides where he can remain in the ecv for the entire ride. If you click on the link for any of the parks, it will give you more info about the attractions at that park. It's kind of basic info, though, so ask as many questions here as you want. If there is boarding info you want about any specific rides , someone is likely to be able to help you out, so just ask.

Now for some ride suggestions for 4 and 5 year old girls. In most cases, you will be able to sit in the same car with both girls:
This post will be about MK and I'll add more later in the weekend about other parks. It's sort of a Tour around the park starting in Fantasyland.
Small World: A boat ride with large dolls from around the world. DH could transfer from the ecv into a wheelchair to ride on the wheelchair car. If he wants to walk on, the wheelchair car would still be better since it has a ramp to get on and the seats have leg room to the side (to leave a path for wheelchairs). An extra hint: Some of the tables in the Pinocchio Village Haus counter service restaurant are next to inside windows that overlook the boarding area for Small World. When my girls were little, they loved to eat there and wave at the people on boats as they went by.
Peter Pan: A pirate ship ride over Neverland. Dark, but not scary at all. The only caution I have for this ride is that it has a moving walkway that can't be stopped - my DH has almost run out of room when carrying my DD off
Carrousel: Your DH would be able to ride this (getting out of ecv) or stand on the sidelines and take pictures.
Ariel's Grotto: Character greeting with Little Mermaid. All accessible
Dumbo: not easy to get on, but he would be able to position himself to take some great pictures.
Mickey's Philharmagic: This was not open the last time we went, but it sounds great. It's a 3D movie. Accessible
Winnie the Pooh: There are some dark spots and some kids don't like the Heffalumps, but it's not really that scary and the heffalumps are painted cutouts, not 3D figures. There is a wheelchair car, but your DH would need to transfer to a wheelchair from the ecv. The wheelchair car fits only the wheelchair and the rest of your party would sit behind it. I don't think it would be that difficult to transfer into the ride car, not much harder than an automobile.
Snow White: My DDs always thought this one was scary. It's dark and the witch shows up a lot. Sometimes she has her back to you and then turns as you go by. It's a ride where DH would need to transfer, but it's not that bad a transfer (no stepping down).
Mad Tea Party: Spinning ride. Not hard to get on or off, just be careful getting off in case of dizziness.
Mickey's Toontown fair: Very cute, lots of photo opportunities outside. The "houses" are accessible. The only thing in Towntown Fair that isn't is Goofy's Barnstormer. That's a small roller coaster (with minimum height of 35 inches tall to ride). ECV users need to transfer to a wheelchair to go in the line and then transfer to a ride car to ride. Might NOT be a good ride for your DH since his fracture is not stable.
Buzz Lightyear: Would need to transfer to a ride car or transfer from ecv to wheeelchair and ride the wheelchair car (again, the wheelchair user rides alone, you ride behind it). Transfer to ride car would be like to a car.
Indy Speedway: Your girls might like, but I would not suggest for DH. Your car can get hit pretty hard from behind if the driver behind you is not careful. Also, depending on the size of the child, you might have to drive. If you and your DDs go on, your DH would be able to find a good vantage point to watch.
Tomorrowland Transit Authority: This is an elevated tram that goes thru Tomorrowland. Your girls would probably like it, but it's a bear to get up for someone with mobility problems. The station is at 2nd floor level. The only way up and down are moving ramps, making it kind of hard to keep your balance. once you get up, you step onto a moving walkway for boarding.
Magic Carpets: A spinning ride like Dumbo. I don't know how hard this is to get on because I don't ride it personally and my youngest DD stays in her wheelchair for this.
Tiki Room: accessible. Som kids are scared a bit in one part where there is thunder and lightening, but overall it's cute and not scary.
Jungle Boats: Getting on the boat involves steps down
Pirates: This is a dark ride and the beginning parts are totally in the dark at some points. I probably would not take a 4 and 5 yr old on this (especially given that it would not be easy for your DH to get on).
Country Bears: Cute, country music show. Accessible
Splash Mountain: There is a 40 inch minimum height requirement. This is very cute, but some kids are so scared of the 5 story drop that they can't focus on anything elsee. This one is very hard to get onto. It's a boat where you have to make several steps to get in and out. It's also a very tight fit, which makes it one I would skip. To much chance for banging up your DH's foot.
Hall of Presidents: This is fully accessible and you and your DH might like it. Kind of tedious for 4 and 5 year olds though (animatronic figures making speeches).
Riverboat: An old time riverboat ride thru Frontierland and Liberty Square area. Accessible
Haunted Mansion: I'd probably skip because it is scary for most 4 and 5 year olds. Very dark, ghosts, spooky music and sounds. It's not accessible, but not that hard to get into the ride car.

All the shops and restaurants are accessible. Some of them have stairs at the main entrance and don't look accessible, but look around, you will find a ramp somewhere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter