Some Brief Reviews - April 3-8

3gr8boys

DIS Veteran
We just returned from a great week with ADRs every day April 3-8 plus two visits to Oga’s. I can’t offer full reviews because I don’t take notes or pictures….. but maybe the following will be helpful for some folks.

We went to Steakhouse 71 for lunch one Magic Kingdom day. After checking in we waited outside the entrance (basically part of the hotel lobby), not realizing there was actually a nice seating area inside near the host stand. We didn’t see it until we received our table ready message and went to the host stand. The nostalgic pictures in the hall between the check-in stand and host stand are great. Anyway, we were given a comfortable booth and had good service. Aside from that, it was just ok. The décor is nice enough but the atmosphere didn’t wow me. Everyone had a good meal and left full, but it was no one’s favorite ADR. DS15 did say the Stack burger was great. I enjoyed the flavor of the veggie wellington but didn’t really like the texture. My other son and DH said the blue cheese dressing on the wedge salad was good. DS’s GF said the buns for the crab cake sliders were particularly yummy.

We went to Via Napoli (our first time) and were not disappointed. The pizza was scrumptious and service was good. For help with portions- DS15 ate an individual pizza on his own but left the crust behind (normal for him). Three of us shared a fresh mozzarella app (yummy with the offered balsamic) and a 20” pie. My son’s girlfriend had the tortellini and said it was really good. I had read many reviews that mentioned how loud the main dining room is- so I went in hoping we would be seated in the little area off to the side that is partially closed off from the main dining room. We weren’t, and I am glad. Yes, it was noisy…but I enjoyed the décor and being able to see the ovens. Somehow the noise was part of the ambience. I walked through the other area (to get the ladies’ room) and it was definitely quieter (which I can see being important for some groups) but the feel was just much lower key theming wise.

We enjoyed lunch at Space 220. We were taken in almost immediately upon arrival (a few minutes before our reservation). The CMs were all friendly and our server was very good. The food was not necessarily great, but it was good. I particularly liked the Big Bang Burrata. DS15 ordered the Space Greens expecting a vinegar tasting dressing….but it had a strong mustard flavor. He traded it in for a Caesar and enjoyed that. The pop rocks drink was fun to assemble but (according to DS15) not anything special flavor wise- the trading cards are cool. I had the tuna entree. It wasn't very flavorful- but I did enjoy mixing the tastes and texture of all the ingredients on the plate. The atmosphere is very relaxing and we did enjoy watching out the space station windows for things to go by as we chatted. Our reservation was 11:55 and the restaurant was probably not even 1/3 full when we arrived. I is likely that we would not have found the experience as special or pleasant if the restaurant was full. (It was noticeably fuller and noisier when we left.)

50s Prime Time is not a new restaurant for us and, based on our lunch this past week, will remain on our favorites list. The salmon dinner with potatoes and green beans was available even though it wasn’t on the menu and was just as yummy as I remember (a simple meal cooked properly). DS15 thought his fried chicken was really good. We like that we can order flexibly, some substitutions were made and one of our adults ordered a kids meal with no problem. We like the atmosphere and the old-time family schtick. Cousin Craig was in character in addition to being an attentive, efficient server.

My husband’s favorite meal of the week was the salmon pasta at Sci-Fi Dine-In. I had the same dish and agree that is was good. LOTS of flavor, plenty of salmon and the spinach was not overwhelming (I like spinach in salads but not usually in cooked dishes). DS15 liked the turkey sandwich but was not impressed with the special anniversary lemonade (though the younger set might enjoy the whole put your character in the cup thing). They happily accommodated our request for an adult portion of the mac&cheese from the kids menu. High marks for the chocolate shakes. DS15 was bummed that we were put in a car that contained a regular table, but I thought it was nice to be able to talk across to each other and it really wasn’t difficult to sit at a slight angle when we wanted to pay attention to what was on the screen.

We had a lovely, relaxing dinner at Rose & Crown (our first meal there). We were seated outside. At first I was disappointed to not be experiencing the inside décor/atmosphere. In the end, though, it was definitely the best place for us. It was much quieter outside and I got to take in the indoor atmosphere walking through to the ladies room. (The area is completely shaded, but I am sure we would not have been as comfortable outside if it was a hot and humid day.) Service was good and friendly. Three of us enjoyed the fish and chips. DS15 said the Welsh Pub Burger was very good- surprisingly he ordered it as-is, leeks and all. My son's GF said the Shepherd's Pie was good (as opposed to special or great). The Tomato & Basil Cream soup was scrumptious as was the Sticky Toffee Pudding.

Our first trip to Oga’s was an 8pm reservation and we were crowded into a booth with a family of four with a couple occupying the two stools at the table. Sharing wasn’t terrible, in fact we rather liked chatting with the couple. The “kids” enjoyed walking around and watching how the bartenders filled the Carbon Freeze drink cups. I enjoyed my cliff dweller (which they happily serve in the porg mug even if you tell them you aren’t going to buy it), though it was more orange juice than ginger ale in flavor. The Carbon Freeze is a fun drink and I can understand why I read on a previous post that you should wait a little bit before drinking. It basically mixes itself. Not everyone cared about going back for our morning reservation a few days later, but I was determined to have a Blue Bantha for breakfast (which I thoroughly enjoyed) and DH and DS15 tagged along. This time we were at a standing table right in front of DJ R3X with a great view of him and of activity at the bar.

Last edited:
thanks for info on space 220 - I want to go for hype but most reviews non paid seem blah for food

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter