Something About Nothing............ #14

Buckeev.........good to see you......yes, so many affected by this and you are allowed to feel some annoyance at not getting on your trip. I think we’ve all felt that but felt guilty for even worrying about a trip when so much is else is going on.

Hugs to your son......hope he’s doing ok......

Vicki :cheer2:........so good to see you post again!!!! I’m so sorry you won’t make HHN this year.......was looking forward to meeting up again.....but, health and other things sometimes get in the way. Glad you are all ok though health wise......and glad to hear you have improved too.

All our garden centres are closed as they are classed as non essential......it’s crazy they haven’t kept you at home!!! People make me wonder about them sometime......over here essential journeys only, and most are complying, but sadly not all.

Yes, the pizza places are doing roaring trade here too.....I’m glad they’re staying open, our local we have used for a while and you couldn’t meet a nicer bunch of people.......so desperately want to help them stay open. And thank you......I’m slowly improving :thumbsup2

Beef was lovely.......although it was maybe a little too much, but, it was beautiful......

Now watching some Netflix and yet more snacks........spicy chips and spicy jalapeño salsa........

Nice quiet Sunday evening......apart from the occasional friend trying to FaceTime or want to Zoom........that’s a new one on me!!

Last edited:
Vicki :cheer2:........so good to see you post again!!!! I’m so sorry you won’t make HHN this year.......was looking forward to meeting up again.....but, health and other things sometimes get in the way. Glad you are all ok though health wise......and glad to hear you have improved too.

All our garden centres are closed as they are classed as non essential......it’s crazy they haven’t kept you at home!!! People make me wonder about them sometime......over here essential journeys only, and most are complying, but sadly not all.

Yes, the pizza places are doing roaring trade here too.....I’m glad they’re staying open, our local we have used for a while and you couldn’t meet a nicer bunch of people.......so desperately want to help them stay open. And thank you......I’m slowly improving :thumbsup2
We are considered essential because the main business is home improvement/hardware.

We are considered essential because the main business is home improvement/hardware.

Apparently our home improvement stores are open too. Is decorating really an essential today? Folks who work there aren’t happy about going in to sell folks trivial things like paint and stuff like that.......

Apart from that, pharmacies/medical, banks with limited hours and food places there is not much open here now....

Last edited:
I have retreated to the spare bedroom and the desktop computer. I had to get away from the TV. Dh is now watching tractor pulling.

Bad news at our house. One of our toilets is not working properly. I don't know exactly what is wrong. When flushed it sounds like the water keeps running and the tank isn't filling. Guess I'll be calling the plumber tomorrow. Of course it's the one on the main level of the house.

The eateries stopped dine in but you can do pick up.
The places we do order from adds 18.5% to your order. Just something they impose as many businesses need to survive.
So far none of the restaurants I've gotten take out from has an automatic tip amount, but I've been tipping as if I just received excellent table service.

Just heard from baby sis she asked me if I heard about tornado in our town in Indiana. I told her I did. She told me that they are not allowing people into the town as to many downed lines etc. Will call neighbor and see if our house was damaged.
Hope were is no damage to your house.

hubby decided to get the sports car he had always wanted 3 weeks ago. I told him to go ahead and get it. It’s now or never.

We got tickled when we were checking out the navigation and a British accent nav person comes on.....LOL...wasn’t expecting that. It’s a Jaguar F-Type convertible.....they don’t change the nav voice for cars sold in US...nice touch.
Good for him! I would imagine that car sales are down right now (are they even open?) and someone was very happy to get that sale.

Have been making masks to help out a little.
I wish I could sew.

Charade.......lol......no, she was only joking.....it was a joke at my expense for being so tidy and in order........guess I never explained. She has the highest of standards of cleanliness. Just laughs at me having to have everything “just so” at every moment.
That's good to know. I imagine there are some people out there not showering or changing clothes for days. Ugh!

My 79 y/o Mom-with significant health issues of her own-started sewing masks up almost three weeks ago. She has lost count of how many-but the trimmings have filled up a huge empty Amazon box twice.
Cool!

Checking in to let you know that I'm still here....sorry I've been absent for so long.

We are considered essential employees in the garden center so no staying home for me.
Good to hear from you. Do you work in a place like Home Depot or Lowes?

Nice quiet Sunday evening......apart from the occasional friend trying to FaceTime or want to Zoom........that’s a new one on me!!
We tried a Zoom meeting with my Sunday school class today. It was a bit chaotic. One of B's classes is using this format/. At first I was thinking it was a horrible way to do a class, then I remembered it was for her sign language class. She doesn't have to listen to everyone trying to talk at once.

Apparently our home improvement stores are open too. Is decorating really an essential today? Folks who work there aren’t happy about going in to sell folks trivial things like paint and stuff like that.......
Decorating, no, but they need to be open for essential home repair. Of course, I imagine a lot of people are going there for non essential home improvement. My neighbor's front yard is looking really nice right now.

Please forgive the typos. Caspian decided to sit on the desk in front of the monitor as I type.

Last edited:

Charade I think Brits and Americans can speak a different language at times.......home improvement for me means decorating, definitely non essential. My friends daughter was supposed to be working but said she wasn’t coming in to sell folks paint. A DIY store here is where you’ll get essentials for home repairs and yes, they are open with limited staff, at least where we are.

Oh I’d never be friends with someone who has dubious hygiene standards.....I liked Zoom, it’s better for groups of folks......I had never heard of it till recently......but then technology and me aren’t the best of friends. As for sewing, I can tighten up a button if it needs it, that’s about the limit for my sewing.

My nephews wife gets her results tomorrow to see if she has the virus or not. She’s desperately hoping (obviously) it’s negative, so once she is back to normal she can get back to work......

Nephew is not showing any symptoms thankfully. Their little dog will be happy they’re both home together......

Zoomed........is that a new term.......with some friends tonight......so funny. I wonder how many others have had their husbands or whoever wander into a room in a state of undress not knowing their wife is live on zoom.......yes, we nearly got an eyeful of one friends husband tonight.......he saw the funny side!

Think he might check carefully before he wanders in to a room again......:rotfl:

Almost bedtime here......

Have a lovely Sunday evening.......

Last edited:
Charade I think Brits and Americans can speak a different language at times.......home improvement for me means decorating, definitely non essential. My friends daughter was supposed to be working but said she wasn’t coming in to sell folks paint. A DIY store here is where you’ll get essentials for home repairs and yes, they are open with limited staff, at least where we are.
I recently watched a funny video about the differences between English and American words. It was an American woman married to a British man. At one point he asked her how she liked his waistcoat. She said it was a vest. He held up a white tank top and said , "No, this is a vest" She said, "No, that's a wife beater." He responded with, "I would never hit you." They went back and forth over vest/wife beater and he finally said, "Americans are weird."

Have you ever been inside a Home Depot or Lowes store? They have just about everything you could possibly need for a house: lighting, lumber, paint, lawn & garden, appliances, flooring, etc. They even carry cleaning supplies and toilet paper. Well, when it's in stock.

Yes Charade...I work at Lowe's. Glad I got my TP and lysol wipes before the shortage. There are many advantages in working there.

Since I have the day off and it's in the 70s today I decided to grill enough to last a few days. Chicken breasts, chicken burgers and jalapeno cheddar smoked sausages are on the menu.

Time to get going with the grilling.

Yes Charade...I work at Lowe's. Glad I got my TP and lysol wipes before the shortage. There are many advantages in working there.

Since I have the day off and it's in the 70s today I decided to grill enough to last a few days. Chicken breasts, chicken burgers and jalapeno cheddar smoked sausages are on the menu.

Time to get going with the grilling.

Sounds great!!! Glad you are making plenty, I am a bit more hungry than normal, but I think that will be just enough ::yes:: !!

:rotfl2:

I recently watched a funny video about the differences between English and American words. It was an American woman married to a British man. At one point he asked her how she liked his waistcoat. She said it was a vest. He held up a white tank top and said , "No, this is a vest" She said, "No, that's a wife beater." He responded with, "I would never hit you." They went back and forth over vest/wife beater and he finally said, "Americans are weird."
:rotfl2: You gave me a laugh again! Yep, wife beaters.... horrible name but that's what everyone calls them here. My full blood Italian brother in law wears one all summer as a regular shirt. I thought it was an Italian thing, but I guess not!

Woke up to thunderstorms this morning. Spring is definitely coming, which I'm glad about. I may bring the greenhouse out of the garage and try to start some seeds this week. If I can get seeds, that is. The parsley and chives in my garden are growing so I'm taking it as a sign I could start some seeds.

My daughter's boyfriend's mother is now off for two weeks because someone tested positive in their building. She seems ok for now, isolating and staying positive. Her facility is handling it the right way, when other facilities are not. Other facilities are only closing for a day, or not even closing at all, and cleaning areas and staying open. All that's doing is continuing the spread because they don't know who else has it. They need to close for two weeks to isolate anyone who may have been exposed.

Well with the president extending social distancing guidelines until April 30th a lot of things are cancelled. Easter, my 50th birthday and my dad's birthday. Sigh.... kind of expected it anyway. We're trying to figure out how to get the supplies for Italian Easter pie but I don't know if we'll be able to. We may have to just do a regular dinner for the three of us. We usually have 14 people here for holidays and it will be sad to miss everyone. The most important thing is that we stay safe, so it will manage. Just praying for everyone to get through ok.

My youngest had to go to all online college classes, like everyone else. But we got an email a few days ago telling her that because she has more than 50% of her classes online, her state grant money is reduced and we'll have to pay more to the college. HUH???!! This wasn't her choice to go online. The grant wasn't a huge amount, but every bit helps. Its frustrating.

Mac, so good to see you back posting! I'll try to catch up with everyone tomorrow. Hubby has to go back to work tomorrow and I'm helping him get some things in order from the cdc and osha to help the employees under him. He'll find out tomorrow who was exposed, if he was near that person and hopefully the test results from the employees who got tested.

I'm cracking open the bottle of good Madeira tonight!

Stay safe.....

My youngest had to go to all online college classes, like everyone else. But we got an email a few days ago telling her that because she has more than 50% of her classes online, her state grant money is reduced and we'll have to pay more to the college. HUH???!! This wasn't her choice to go online. The grant wasn't a huge amount, but every bit helps. Its frustrating.
What??! That doesn't seem right at all. As far as I know our students are still considered to be residential students for the rest of the semester.

What??! That doesn't seem right at all. As far as I know our students are still considered to be residential students for the rest of the semester.
I know! I'm still trying to figure it out.
This is from the email:
"PHEAA has made an eligibility determination for your 2019-20 academic year
PA State Grant application. Due to limited resources, students enrolled in
more than 50% distance education credits may be eligible for a reduced award."
And from their page FAQ:
"I am receiving a PA State Grant Award while taking online courses, but my award was reduced, why?"
"In an effort to control costs for the recently approved distance education eligible courses and enrollment for the PA State Grant Program, your eligibility will be reduced when compared to awards calculated for attendance less than or equal to 50% distance education."

I don't understand it.

That is so odd, McK. My little one is just doing her Spring term classes online, at no additional cost, and we happily got a refund for the remainder her dorm and food not being used, as was not her fault to leave the dorm.

Fading fast. Nice to see Buckeev and Tink. So sorry to hear of trip cancel, Buckeev, working and sick, Tink, so sorry not to meet up with you yet, and McK, so sorry so many family celebrations may not be with the whole family.

Did take a short nap this afternoon, as I guess I needed it, and there was not much of interest for me on the screen.

96A90118-E533-46A7-B3D1-71B3B4CF1328.jpeg

That is so odd, McK. My little one is just doing her Spring term classes online, at no additional cost, and we happily got a refund for the remainder her dorm and food not being used, as was not her fault to leave the dorm.
I'm hoping it's a mistake or misunderstanding somewhere. We have to try to get in touch with someone at the college to figure it out. She had to go to online classes, like everyone else did. It doesn't seem right.

Wd was a lot better tonight than the past 3 weeks prior

just putting this out there if you are a fan

Things look rocky tonight for when peeps have trips to florida

you read or hear about disasters in countries far away from you and could not imagine it is now in your own back yard.

speaking of back yards....
If your Florida trip does not plan out, come to northern Georgia and see me

I’ll even cook for youse
and we will have a party!
Maybe we will find arrow heads as my back yard butts up to the original trail of tears road

Yeah, no May trip and thinking no August trip either. But am very much hoping end of September is a go still. And on a woot! Last week, SW had a sale, got a nice amount of credit for our January 2021 trip, and even cheaper flights than I was expecting. Now to get an even better deal for the crazy car rental price I have now, and for the hotel price I have, and want AP rates or may be looking at some Motherland, so may give a call for that soon, too.

Oh yeah, and it’s a Monday.

:coffee: Routine, ::yes::

3234BB89-3172-4DF1-A0F2-4E0A56079045.jpegD1C94A2C-D449-43D8-85CC-26991CF7DC25.jpeg

Lynne, we can’t win .....
I can get a flight from where I am to Orlando for $75 round trip this week if I had plans to go there.

Comparing that to the September flight at $375 which I did not book last month.

Maybe things will work out and your August trip will happen.

Good you hit a great deal for January.

Happy Monday. I'm spending the morning waiting for the plumber. I was told he would be here within a half hour. That was an hour ago.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!