Something About Nothing............ #14

Flight prices are crazy, Mac. So far, one of the reasons August is most likely a no go, is too high airfare for my taste. Plus, I can always cancel the hotel 5 days before, and hoping for an AP rate better than I saw, so far. Hope you are feeling better now. Still take an easy, as no need to be worn out more.

Good Monday Morning,

Hope everyone had a nice weekend. Back at work today. Nothing to do so I am watching the livestream of the USNS Comfort docking in NYC. It left from Norfolk yesterday, which is not to far from where I live. Glad to see the hospital ship arrive to provide support to the people of NYC.

We didn't do much yesterday. I had a migraine, probably from having the windows up the day before and all the pollen in the air. Feeling better today. We had pizza last night too. Unfortunately, from Dominos. Brought leftovers for lunch.

Fifth case at DH's work announced yesterday. Another one in an engineering building outside the gates so not near DH's office.

I have retreated to the spare bedroom and the desktop computer. I had to get away from the TV. Dh is now watching tractor pulling.

I know whatcha mean. I had to do that Saturday but I left the house entirely. DH has to have it on all the time. Drives me nuts.

My daughter's boyfriend's mother is now off for two weeks because someone tested positive in their building. She seems ok for now, isolating and staying positive. Her facility is handling it the right way, when other facilities are not. Other facilities are only closing for a day, or not even closing at all, and cleaning areas and staying open. All that's doing is continuing the spread because they don't know who else has it. They need to close for two weeks to isolate anyone who may have been exposed.

That is good that her facility is showing good judgement. I think it is time for a total shut down of these highly affected areas. I never thought I would be the one saying it but the spread is becoming alarming.

Well with the president extending social distancing guidelines until April 30th a lot of things are cancelled. Easter, my 50th birthday and my dad's birthday. Sigh.... kind of expected it anyway. We're trying to figure out how to get the supplies for Italian Easter pie but I don't know if we'll be able to. We may have to just do a regular dinner for the three of us. We usually have 14 people here for holidays and it will be sad to miss everyone. The most important thing is that we stay safe, so it will manage. Just praying for everyone to get through ok.

April is definitely going to be a tough month. Hopefully, you can have a big celebration maybe for Mother's Day.

My youngest had to go to all online college classes, like everyone else. But we got an email a few days ago telling her that because she has more than 50% of her classes online, her state grant money is reduced and we'll have to pay more to the college. HUH???!! This wasn't her choice to go online. The grant wasn't a huge amount, but every bit helps. Its frustrating.

That is nuts!!! I hope she works something out with her school.

Happy Monday. I'm spending the morning waiting for the plumber. I was told he would be here within a half hour. That was an hour ago.

Hope he finally arrived.

Glad to see Mac is feeling better and Schumi is on the mend. Stay safe everyone.

:wave2: Happy Monday morning everyone!!! Or what feels like day 2099 of the quarantine :flower:

I see some of you are making plans for HHN and fall trips!!! I see some of our airlines are having crazy priced flights right now. As much as we would like to book something to have an escape later this year, I'm not sure when the boarder will open up again. Right now...there seem to be some areas where your army is staying watching to make sure us crazy canucks don't try to sneak into the US :rolleyes2 Ummmmmm I hate to tell Mr Trump right now...we really won't be coming down to visit any time soon until the number of infected people stops going up :sad2: I just hate that he is using those resources for that instead of putting it to good use for your own people instead of trying to keep us crazy canucks in our own country. I'll stay where I am thank you!

@macraven...I"m glad to see your back and posting again!!! I sure did miss seeing your posts

@mckennarose I hope that you can make some fun with all the birthdays you have this month! It sucks you can't have a big blowout for the big 50 for yourself. It is such a huge milestone. I hope that you can find a way to celebrate it after all this craziness is over.

@schumigirl... I hope you start to feel better soon. There is nothing like a cough that doesn't go away. Well good thing is...if you actually did have the coivid virus, now your always safe when you go out!!!!

@cam757 ...We have seen the reports about your area. It is staggering how the numbers keep climbing. I hope you stay safe from all of it. It's amazing how many people really think that the rules set in place don't apply to them. Please stay safe from all of it.

@Charade67 ...I hope the plumber shows up soon and fixes what is wrong. My dh is the manager of the plumbing, electrical, and mechanical divisions where he works. They have many protocols for those to follow on when they send out the service guys and it takes them 3x longer to do a job that it did before, just with all the safety precautions that they want their service guys to do to keep the family homes safe that they are working at. Even the dh had to go do a service call last week, as all his crews were out and someone had an emergency. I really hope it's something minor and not the start of something big.

@bobbie68 ...I'm glad your feeling better and more like yourself again. Recovery can be slower than we always want it to be. I'm soo grateful for all those people working in retail places that are still open. They are definitely putting themselves in direct contact with someone who is stupid and ignorant to be going out while they are sick. Those people who feel so " entitled " that the rules don't apply to them tick me off. I'm glad her managers have found a place where she feels more comfortable to work, instead of directly with the public. It's NOT an easy job.

Things are pretty much the same here. It was a cold ( - 26F ) weekend here. It started snowing YET AGAIN here Saturday morning...and was still snowing this morning when I left for work. We have well over a foot fall here again. I just need spring to arrive. I was hoping to be sitting on our deck and maybe doing some homework ( probably wrapped in a blanket ) but it would have been glorious if I could have been outside for an hour or two while working on my course work. Oh well....it will come. It's just not fast enough for me.
On other news, my mom did test positive for the virus. She is sick...but not requiring any hospital care. They think she over the worst of it now. She is still extremely fatigued at times and has the cough yet. But all the other symptoms have subsided. Now, we are just waiting to see if Dad tests positive. Neighbors and friends are delivering anything they need. My sister has taken some things to them as well. So crossing my fingers that Dad doesn't get it.

We also did some video chatting with family over the weekend. It was a great way to spend an evening chatting with all of them. I can see us using it more as the social distancing starts taking it's toll on all of us.

Well, I should get started working on this pile of papers on my desk. I just wanted to pop in and write a little something. I have been reading...just not able to post anything substantial.

Stay healthy everyone!!!! :wave2:

Fifth case at DH's work announced yesterday. Another one in an engineering building outside the gates so not near DH's office.
That is good that her facility is showing good judgement. I think it is time for a total shut down of these highly affected areas. I never thought I would be the one saying it but the spread is becoming alarming.
I agree that these places need to close for two weeks once they have their first case. I don't agree with them sanitizing areas and staying open. I know a lot of these places are finding loopholes to stay open and they get to define themselves as essential or life sustaining. That's a major problem here.

DH went back to a mess at work today. 26 people called off today and a bunch more outright quit. One of his employees was exposed to someone who is awaiting testing results. He has to stay away from this poor guy and the guy is soooo nervous because his mother lives with him and his wife. A hard close of these businesses for the recommended two weeks could help a lot.

Right now...there seem to be some areas where your army is staying watching to make sure us crazy canucks don't try to sneak into the US :rolleyes2 Ummmmmm I hate to tell Mr Trump right now...we really won't be coming down to visit any time soon until the number of infected people stops going up :sad2: I just hate that he is using those resources for that instead of putting it to good use for your own people instead of trying to keep us crazy canucks in our own country.
I disagree... he IS putting our resources to good use in a lot of areas. Don't be offended by him wanting to place troops at the border, it's not about most Canadians being "crazy". It's about keeping our country safe and the sad fact is that both borders have illegal crossing activity.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/u...-mexico-over-coronavirus-concerns/ar-BB10NWmr
"On the U.S.-Canada border, approximately 300 non-U.S. citizens have been turned away based on White House-implemented travel restrictions that forbid people who have traveled to China or Iran within 14 days from entry. Of the 300 people barred entry at vehicular and pedestrian crossing points on the northern border, 113 were Canadians, and 90 were Chinese, Cuccinelli said. "

Another sad fact is that people are not taking their personal responsibility to self quarantine for 2 weeks if they've possibly been exposed. We're experiencing this first hand in my state from people fleeing NYC. This is my own country and I'm all for creating temporary stricter protocol regarding people traveling. We have a very real, growing problem where I live with people ignoring CDC guideline and we're having a lot of community spread because of it.

Your PM is essentially doing the same in other areas, with stopping flights to areas known to have infection like China and Italy. Not because he thinks poorly of these people, but because he sees a potential threat. None of this is permanent and it's all due to a very extreme danger and the need to control the spread of the virus.

mac.......if we ever get to fly again Georgia is in our plans.......you have plenty of room for us......and you like pizza and bacon......we‘re good!!! My cousins in Long Island saw a flight to Vegas from Orlando for around $14......they were tempted.....lol.....think I would have been too!

Cam, glad you’re doing better today...migraines are horrible. I’ve only had one in my life, but that was enough. Hope you stay well.....

pumpkin........I dread to see our flight prices when this is over. Of course it’s to be expected. Hope your mum is feeling better and continues to improve. I just wish I could shift this darn cough.....even Tom who has the patience of a saint is fed up listening to it!

mrose, hope your husbands place is ok. It is completely terrifying how many folks around us have it, or are carriers.

Saw a heartbreaking post today from a nurse in the UK, crying and exhausted, begging people to stop going out for anything non essential.......no visiting just for fun........folks were still gathering here for parties the other day according to the paper........what is wrong with people they can’t understand that!!!

My friends and I would love to get together, I’d love to see my family, but I understand we are putting each other at risk......crazy people. And some NHS staff came out after a 12 hour shift to find their cars vandalised in some hospital way up North from me......disgusting creatures. I’m sure he’ll get his just desserts as they got him.

But, another day of a quick walk in the woods, spoke to my mum and one of my brothers, did some baking......managed to get some flour from the local store and I’m surprised that Tom managed to get the right flour........so we have cherry and coconut scones, lemon Madeira cake (bit like pound cake) and made flourless chocolate cake for my two chocoholics.........guess the diet still hasn’t started!!

And I have some of the cleanest kitchen cabinets around......well, did a third of them today then I got bored :blush: Will get to the rest of the kitchen sometime..........they don’t really need it but it’s something to do.....

Have a good Monday evening........

@bobbie68 thats awful about your son’s manager. What an ignorant man. Did you son take it to someone above his manager? I hope this issue was addressed at work, totally unacceptable.

@KStarfish82 my brother and Sister-in-law live on LI, I’m so worried for him. And one of his offices is in the city, when I spoke to him a few days ago he was still going in but driving instead of taking the LIRR in.

@Robo56 so nice of you to help out with the lady at the store and for making masks! I can’t sew at all. Except for buttons and maybe fixing a seam.
Is your home safe?

@buckeev good for your mom! And sewing up the masks keeps her busy! Always disappointing canceling trips. You’re entitled to feel sad about it. I’m waiting and seeing what things will be like in August. Hope I don’t have to cancel. My oldest dd will be so disappointed as that’s the only time she can get off work. First 2 weeks of Aug. I read on the WDW board that WDW is offering a special package for those who have to cancel due to COVID-19.

@tink1957 good to hear from you, hope you and your family stay safe.

@macraven so surprising that your county has no restrictions in place. Glad that you’re staying safe though. I liked The Dead last night too. I wonder when we’ll find out about Rick! New character looks interesting.
I also wonder if the new spin-off is taking the place of Fear?

@Pumpkin1172 eek! A foot of snow :scared: So glad I live in lotus land! Lol. We wilt here if temps go into the negative anything!

@schumigirl hope you’re feeling better soon.

@Charade67 lol! Not tractor pulling! Ugh.

@Cam

We finally got a break from the rain. The weekend was sunny Saturday and yesterday sun & cloud. It bought everyone out of the woodwork! Yesterday my friend around the block & I went out for a doggy walk around the neighborhood keeping the required 2 meters distance. Easy to do as there are no sidewalks and not much car traffic on the side roads. We kept picking up people as we went lol. Seems everyone was out after days upon days of rain. We were all careful maintaining distances. We ran into 2 friends on our walk at different points Who joined us. When I got to my house in the lane were 2 more neighbours chatting so had a visit with them too. Again, keeping safe distances. What a different world now.

Have to renew my Auto insur ace by the 1st. Contacted my agent who usually comes to the house! Now the agency is handling renewals either by phone or email.

One of the big giants in the gyms here, Fitness World announcement that they fired all their employees and going into bankruptcy. So many people out of jobs, and clients with contracts out their money. My husband thinks it’s BS and their plan is to re-open in a few months under a different name.

Today it isn’t raining, so think I’ll go for a neighborhood walk and do laundry. Exciting life lol.
Pumpkin

Read the Disboards rules.

There will be NO political talk/discussions here.
just like dinner parties, no talk of politics or religion lol. Keeps things polite.

Definitely not, McK, as you know where little one goes is a state funded one, but she did not have to take out a grant yet, so she is very lucky.
Figured out some answers today about this. The college listed her as distance learning and the state grant agency is making an exception because everyone is in the same boat having to try to finish online. State grant agency sent a notice to all colleges on March 23 that they shouldn't list students as "distance learning", and keep them listed as regular enrollment. She said a lot of students are having the same issue and the school needs go back and and update her as a regular student. The problem for some will be the fact that the deadline for state grant info. is April 1, meaning after that time students won't be able to do anything about it. But because I called they extended our case for 30 days to get more info. Of course I can't get anyone at the school to talk to, so I'm going to write an email and send it to everyone in the financial aid office! And her school advisor.

Hope that does the trick, McK. Yeah, as far as I know, little one and older one both have their schools seeing them as enrolled regular students and not distant learners.

It’s the what for dinner game. Is it the chicken or beef, as bbq sauce was requested, but I know littke one will turn her nose up if I use it, so plain it will be regardless of meat. I was thinking of doing pepper steak, as I have teriyaki sauce. Of which plain for little one too. Then corn as all will eat, and maybe some green beans, for you know, 3 of the 4 of us.😎

So today our governor has issued an order for everyone to stay at home. We can go out for food, work, supplies, medical needs, and exercise. It's pretty much the same thing he told us last week except now it's an order rather than a strong suggestion. I'm still going into work because I can't do my job from home.

When we first started talking about telehealth I asked my boss about an informed consent release. She said we would be okay with verbal consent. Well, apparently not because today she had me type up an informed consent form. She also had me write up a memo to our clients reminding them to contact our office manager (me) if they had questions. I have always called myself a receptionist, but I guess now I am the office manager. I think I need a raise to go with that title. 😛

I know whatcha mean. I had to do that Saturday but I left the house entirely. DH has to have it on all the time. Drives me nuts.
Mine is the same. The TV is on all the time and it is usually the Motortrend channel or Forged in Fire. What really annoys me is when he turns the TV on and then falls asleep.

On other news, my mom did test positive for the virus. She is sick...but not requiring any hospital care. They think she over the worst of it now. She is still extremely fatigued at times and has the cough yet. But all the other symptoms have subsided. Now, we are just waiting to see if Dad tests positive. Neighbors and friends are delivering anything they need. My sister has taken some things to them as well. So crossing my fingers that Dad doesn't get it.
So sorry to hear your mom has the virus, but very happy that she hasn't needed hospitalization and she is continuing to improve. Prayers that you dad's results are negative.

DH went back to a mess at work today. 26 people called off today and a bunch more outright quit. One of his employees was exposed to someone who is awaiting testing results. He has to stay away from this poor guy and the guy is soooo nervous because his mother lives with him and his wife. A hard close of these businesses for the recommended two weeks could help a lot.
Oh no. Hope things aren't too chaotic for him. I have forgotten what you have told us (if anything) about his job. Do the employees have something real to fear or are the just panickin?

But, another day of a quick walk in the woods, spoke to my mum and one of my brothers, did some baking......managed to get some flour from the local store and I’m surprised that Tom managed to get the right flour........so we have cherry and coconut scones, lemon Madeira cake (bit like pound cake) and made flourless chocolate cake for my two chocoholics.........guess the diet still hasn’t started!!
If anyone needs me I will be sneaking into Schumi's kitchen.

Figured out some answers today about this. The college listed her as distance learning and the state grant agency is making an exception because everyone is in the same boat having to try to finish online. State grant agency sent a notice to all colleges on March 23 that they shouldn't list students as "distance learning", and keep them listed as regular enrollment.
That is so bizarre. Hope you can get it straightened out quickly.

Time to start dinner. Tonight will be chicken tetrazzini and broccoli salad. Maybe some cookies for dessert.

mac.......if we ever get to fly again Georgia is in our plans.......you have plenty of room for us......and you like pizza and bacon......we‘re good!!! My cousins in Long Island saw a flight to Vegas from Orlando for around $14......they were tempted.....lol.....think I would have been too!

Cam, glad you’re doing better today...migraines are horrible. I’ve only had one in my life, but that was enough. Hope you stay well.....

pumpkin........I dread to see our flight prices when this is over. Of course it’s to be expected. Hope your mum is feeling better and continues to improve. I just wish I could shift this darn cough.....even Tom who has the patience of a saint is fed up listening to it!

mrose, hope your husbands place is ok. It is completely terrifying how many folks around us have it, or are carriers.

Saw a heartbreaking post today from a nurse in the UK, crying and exhausted, begging people to stop going out for anything non essential.......no visiting just for fun........folks were still gathering here for parties the other day according to the paper........what is wrong with people they can’t understand that!!!

My friends and I would love to get together, I’d love to see my family, but I understand we are putting each other at risk......crazy people. And some NHS staff came out after a 12 hour shift to find their cars vandalised in some hospital way up North from me......disgusting creatures. I’m sure he’ll get his just desserts as they got him.

And I have some of the cleanest kitchen cabinets around......well, did a third of them today then I got bored :blush: Will get to the rest of the kitchen sometime..........they don’t really need it but it’s something to do.....

Have a good Monday evening........

Just curious how you pronounce scones where you are. Scawns or scOnes?

Oh, another sick bay home, sending well wishes to Pumpkin’s mom. Glad she does not need to be hospitalized.

Ended up with beef and broccoli. Apparently, all were hungry, as by the time DH got his share, not much left.

Showers were predicted this afternoon. Yeah, sounded like a loud downpour to us. No shower. Almost thought I heard thunder. That noisy. But it was over fast enough, clouds parted, and a golden sunset.

Yeah Charade, not only can my DH fall asleep in front of the TV, I have done it once in awhile.

Yeah, after the decision for all our nation to stay home for the next 30 days, telecommuting will be the norm for at least that long. With that, may all stay safe and healthy, enjoy life, and be thankful for what we all have to bare. Yep, and keep washing your hands.

Ah yes, the March start of the weekdays that has the April end.

And yes, it’s a Monday.

F59BB902-F370-47B6-AE45-D7EA4E131DC1.jpegC2E71F8E-ED26-4A09-9A70-9DECF5012BA4.jpeg

And yes, my alarm is on for tomorrow.

Have a great night, and have a restful and sound sleep. 💤

Well as Charade mentioned above we have a stay at home order until June 10th. I just wish the governor would have given us a little notice. NC got a weekend to get themselves straight we got less than an hour and are looking at 71 days of this. Uggh. I know it is for the best, just venting. Still will not impact my DH's job, the president of the company already sent out a message reminding them that they are considered mission essential to the national defense, so in other words, suck it up buttercup. Not sure about my job, I am just part-time but I work with elections and not even an pandemic stops elections, at least yet. Things may change once the VA legislature is back in session at the end of the month and can change or amend laws, if they go back in session.

Was going to cook but ended up just having chicken salad sandwich for dinner, which is fine. It was a screwy day so I was a little too worked up to cook. I rarely drink wine, but I had a glass when I got home....

So sorry about your mother. I am glad to hear that she is over the peak of it. I hope that your Dad has been able to dodge the virus. Thank goodness for good neighbors and friends.

ac.......if we ever get to fly again Georgia is in our plans.......you have plenty of room for us......and you like pizza and bacon......we‘re good!!! My cousins in Long Island saw a flight to Vegas from Orlando for around $14......they were tempted.....lol.....think I would have been too!

Wow $14, that is amazing. Cheapest that I have seen from my home airport to MCO is $137 roundtrip. If I saw a flight for $14 I may just have to fly to Orlando just to have dinner....if anything were open LOL!

Thanks! I get them more often than I would prefer but it certainly could be worse. Thankfully, this one only lasted a day.

That all sounds wonderful. The last time we were at RPR, we had sushi one night at Orchids and I had the flourless chocolate cake. I had never had that before. It was very rich but delicious.

I missed this the first time around.... I'm sorry to hear about your mom but I'm glad she's doing better. All we see are the bad stories and it's encouraging to hear from people who have recovered. The news needs to put more of those stories on! I hope she continues to do well and your father doesn't get it.
One person's test came back negative today. Still waiting on another.
Do the employees have something real to fear or are the just panickin?
Our mayor believes that our city will be an epicenter for the virus, due to all the people coming from NY and NJ. He did an interview stating we have cases, but he can't say how many, but he's in touch with the hospital regularly. We hear through the grapevine of different facilities that had to close or notify their employees of other employees having the virus. They do have something real to fear just by the cultural aspects of the groups who have it ie: gatherings, large extended families living together, family coming and frequent travel back and forth to NYC especially. One person we know who works at a facility that had cases told us today they are now checking temperatures of every employee when they go into work. It's not a bad idea.
I'm still going into work because I can't do my job from home.
Did they give you a paper to show police if you get stopped? They're giving them out here to people who still need to go into work.
I have always called myself a receptionist, but I guess now I am the office manager. I think I need a raise to go with that title
I think you need a raise too! :thumbsup2
Well as Charade mentioned above we have a stay at home order until June 10th.
Wow, I think ours is still only to April 30th. And school closed indefinitely. We're up to over 4,000 cases now.

@cam757 sorry I don’t know what happened to what I tried to post. It’s blank.

@Lynne G :wave2: I always look forward to seeing your daily memes!

@Pumpkin1172 :grouphug: We’re all afraid, I hope everyone realizes you didn’t mean anything by it.

Well I will admit to it, I didn’t get out of my pjs until 3:00 today :upsidedow

Did anyone watch CNN segment with both Cuomo brothers on? Hilarious, typical brothers, couldn’t stop poking jabs at each other. Good laugh.

:o sorry my apologies. I didn't mean it the way it come out. Again ..sorry :worried:
Just put it behind you and don’t fret about it.
Many of us have anxieties now due to the unknowns we all are facing.

Some parts of our lives are starting to be scary and I’m sure others may blurt out their thoughts before thinking.

As a moderator I have to remind posters to follow the Disboards rules.

You are among family here and we care for you no matter what you posted.
It doesn’t change who you really are in your heart.

A family sticks together even when a person screws up.

I‘ve regretted things I have said at times and lost friendships due to it.
So I know what it’s like having a heavy heart.

None of us knows the future.
But all of us know we need each other to help get us through trying times.

Did they give you a paper to show police if you get stopped? They're giving them out here to people who still need to go into work.
I don't think we've reached that point yet.

I think you need a raise too! :thumbsup2
Thanks! Would you mind talking to my boss?

I forgot to mention before that the plumber did arrive this morning. It was 90 minutes not the 30 I was originally told. Fortunately it didn't take him very long to fix the problem.

We had planned to repaint the inside of our house and redo the floors this spring. Dh still wants to go ahead and do it, but I think we should wait until the pandemic is over. I don't like the idea of having extra people inside our house right now. Dh pointed out that we allowed the plumber in today. I reminded him that we NEED a working toilet, but we don't need to paint the walls right now.

I don't think we've reached that point yet.

Thanks! Would you mind talking to my boss?

I forgot to mention before that the plumber did arrive this morning. It was 90 minutes not the 30 I was originally told. Fortunately it didn't take him very long to fix the problem.

We had planned to repaint the inside of our house and redo the floors this spring. Dh still wants to go ahead and do it, but I think we should wait until the pandemic is over. I don't like the idea of having extra people inside our house right now. Dh pointed out that we allowed the plumber in today. I reminded him that we NEED a working toilet, but we don't need to paint the walls right now.
I don’t know what it is with some men, mine included! Mr asks me today, if I keep the 2 meter distance it should be no problem going out, I had to remind him that it’s ok for a walk thru the neighbourhood but not the stores. explaining for the 100th time, what if you touched a can that a person with the virus touched earlier? :sad2: We should have an emoji banging head against wall! Told him he doesn’t NEED anything from the store.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!