"Sometimes the right path is not the easiest one." - 1st Training Journal (comments welcome!)

Thank you! I know, I'm so glad to finally have made time for this trip report lol.

I did have sweatpants but I knew it wouldn't be enough, so I'm glad I saw that robe in Walmart. I'm sure I looked ridiculous but I was probably the warmest person in the corrals!:rotfl:
The 2017 Marathon was so cold, I wore an old bathrobe over my clothes all the way up to MK. This was when MK was the first park you hit. The first 8 miles of the course were much more like the first 8 miles of the HM. I ditched the robe just before entering the MK because I didn't want it in any photos, but otherwise I would have kept it on. It's a great throwaway race item choice.

Ughh, people can be so rude. I’m glad you were able to brush it off.
You keep doing you. With all those races - and all that distance - you are a heck of a runner!
Great job!
Thank you! I don't check in here enough but the support of the DIS helps keep me in check whenever I start to doubt myself. Your thoughtfulness helped motivate me through my race today!
:disrocks:

Tuesday, January 24, 2023
I haven't felt well-rested since Dopey, but I made myself get on the treadmill today for a fun run. I did a 30 minute Disney run class on the treadmill, and since I'm not following any specific plan I decided to just follow the prompts of the instructor, taking walk breaks when prompted by my Garmin when I wanted to.

Tread: 0:29:59, 1.8 mi, 17:41/mi
Garmin: 0:25:03, 2.02 mi, 12:25/mi

Sunday, January 29, 2023
Today was my last local winter series run. I enjoy doing these even though it's usually really cold. It gets me out there, they're not as crowded as other local races I do, and they're reasonably priced.

I was really hungry when I woke up this morning and didn't want to chance eating anything different, so I stopped and picked up a bagel on the way there. In the car I made and ate my standard half bagel with peanut butter with apple juice before heading to the start.

I forgot to check the weather before we started. It was pretty windy, but the temperature itself seemed pretty mild. It was still warmer than the race on 1/15, so I had no complaints! After last week's PR and not training this week, I went into today's race with a loose goal of 36 min or better (my first race post-Dopey was 0:36:47, so I was hoping to at least maintain that). I didn't plan to push myself too hard, but I figured I'd start and see how I feel. Admittedly not the best strategy, but I figured I had nothing riding on this race so I had nothing to stress about.

I ended up feeling great. I took most of my walk breaks, and increased my running pace because I felt like I could without pushing myself too hard. After mile 2 I started to feel a very slight stitch in my right side, but it didn't bother me enough to be concerned. I kept it in the back of my mind as I continued, but it went away pretty quickly. I wondered if it was from eating closer to the start time. In mile 2 I decided to try to maintain where I was, but also allow myself to push in the end if I had it in me. I got up to mile 3 and ran faster than I have in a long time at a finish line!

NRC
Miles = 3.12
Avg. Pace = 10'45"
Time = 0:33:38
Splits =
Mile 1 - 11'05"
Mile 2 - 10'52"
Mile 3 - 10'37"
0.12 - 8'25"

Garmin
Miles = 3.15
Avg. Pace = 10'38"
Time = 0:33:32
Laps =
Mile 1 - 10:53 pace
Mile 2 - 10:48 pace
Mile 3 - 10:32 pace
0.15 - 8:42 pace

Race Finish: 0:33:26

Another new PR! party:

Now that my local race series is done, I have to buckle down and get some training runs in before Princess Weekend. In less than a month I'll be running the Princess 5K, 10K, and half, and then just over a month from there it'll be Springtime Surprise Weekend. Last year I did a bad job at maintaining my training, but I want to change that this year. @DopeyBadger, any thoughts? I know it's a short amount of time and my only goal is really to maintain my fitness levels. Last year you suggested approximately 3:20 hours of running in a week post-marathon (30+30+45+30+60). I'm a little further behind this year but I figured I'd start there this week, see if I can add in more the following week, and then maybe go back to this week's amount the week before Princess. I don't want to add on too much too fast, but I wonder if that will be enough before the half. No time goals in mind for Princess Weekend, I just want to be able to run comfortably.

Congrats on the PR!

Now that my local race series is done, I have to buckle down and get some training runs in before Princess Weekend. In less than a month I'll be running the Princess 5K, 10K, and half, and then just over a month from there it'll be Springtime Surprise Weekend. Last year I did a bad job at maintaining my training, but I want to change that this year. @DopeyBadger, any thoughts? I know it's a short amount of time and my only goal is really to maintain my fitness levels. Last year you suggested approximately 3:20 hours of running in a week post-marathon (30+30+45+30+60). I'm a little further behind this year but I figured I'd start there this week, see if I can add in more the following week, and then maybe go back to this week's amount the week before Princess. I don't want to add on too much too fast, but I wonder if that will be enough before the half. No time goals in mind for Princess Weekend, I just want to be able to run comfortably.

Try to do about 50% of your peak from MW training on the same number of days per week. Don't do any paced work until you've run for as many weeks as you've taken off since MW. Try to get in a single 90-120 min run before Princess.

65b5b45a6eb25b1c0bfd3908510b3245.gif

Congrats on the PR!

Try to do about 50% of your peak from MW training on the same number of days per week. Don't do any paced work until you've run for as many weeks as you've taken off since MW. Try to get in a single 90-120 min run before Princess.
Thank you!!! Training runs for this week are officially on the calendar :thumbsup2

Another runDisney race weekend is here, which means it’s time for me to catch up on this training journal!

Tuesday, January 31, 2023
After my last race in January I put some easy runs on the calendar just to keep me running until Princess. Tonight was an easy 30 minute run, and I decided to mix it up by doing a 30 min class on the treadmill.
Planned: 30 min easy run
5 min Pre-Run Warm Up
Treadmill - 30 min run class (2.09 mi, 14:21 pace)
Garmin - 0:30:02 (2.47 mi, 12:09 pace)
5 min Post-Run Stretch

January Total Miles = 69.35 miles

Wednesday, February 1, 2023
I was too tired to run today. I ended up falling asleep and waking up around 11:00, so I just did a 15 minute walk on the treadmill to close my exercise ring.
Planned: 60 min easy run
Treadmill - 15 min walk class (0.56 mi, 15:39 pace)

Thursday, February 2, 2023
Thursdays are my off days, but I didn’t run yesterday and needed to close my rings. I settled on a very easy walk for today, figuring I didn’t want to overdo it since I had planned runs for the next 3 days.
Planned: Rest Day
Treadmill - 30 min walk class (1.16 mi, 20:27 pace)

Friday, February 3, 2023
Fell asleep again today and woke up right before 12:00am. Definitely wasn’t getting my run in, but I wanted to close my rings so I jumped on the tread for a 1 mile run :laughing:
Treadmill - 14 min Just Run (0:14:49, 1.0 mi, 14:46 pace)
Garmin - 0:13:49 (1.13 mi, 12:11 pace)

Saturday, February 4, 2023
After the off week I had I decided to cut today’s run down to 45 min instead of 60. I also decided to recalibrate my Garmin to the tread to try to get the times to sync a little better.
5 min Pre-Run Warm Up
Treadmill - 45 min Just Run (0:45:01, 3.12 mi, 14:23 pace)
Garmin - 0:45:01 (3.12 mi, 14:26 pace)
5 min Post-Run Stretch

Sunday, February 5, 2023
Planned: 90 min easy run
5 min Pre-Run Warm Up
Treadmill - 90 min Just Run (1:30:08, 6.26 mi, 14:22 pace)
Garmin - 1:30:08 (6.26 mi, 14:24 pace)
5 min Post-Run Stretch

Tuesday, February 7, 2023
Mixed it up for my 30 min run today with another class.
Treadmill - 30 min run class (2.01 mi, 14:54 pace)
Garmin - 0:30:01 (2.11 mi, 14:12 pace)

Wednesday, February 8, 2023
Treadmill - 45 min Just Run (0:45:03, 3.14 mi, 14:21 pace)
Garmin - 0:45:02 (3.16 mi, 14:16 pace)

Friday, February 10, 2023
5 min Pre-Run Warm Up
Treadmill - 30 min Just Run (0:30:01, 2.1 mi, 14:27 pace)
Garmin - 0:30:01 (2.08 mi, 14:24 pace)
5 min Post-Run Stretch

Saturday, February 11, 2023
Completely random, but I decided to register for the NYC Marathon lottery! I’ve loved MW the last two years, but I think I want to try for something new outside of the runDisney bubble. I know it’s unlikely that I’ll be chosen, but I figured the best way to try for something new is to put my name in and see what happens. Now I just have to try to keep it out of mind until March 1st so I don’t make myself crazy in the process…
5 min Pre-Run Warm Up
5 min Warm Up Walk
Treadmill - 60 min Just Run (1:00:07, 4.18 mi, 14:21 pace)
Garmin - 1:00:06 (4.32 mi, 13:54 pace)
5 min Post-Run Stretch

Sunday, February 12, 2023
Planned: 120 min easy run
5 min Pre-Run Warm Up
Treadmill - 120 min Just Run (2:00:06, 8.33 mi, 14:24 pace)
Garmin - 2:00:05 (8.31 mi, 14:28 pace)
5 min Post-Run Stretch

Tuesday, February 14, 2023
Treadmill - 30 min Just Run (0:30:01, 2.09 mi, 14:19 pace)
Garmin - 0:30:01 (2.11 mi, 14:12 pace)

Wednesday, February 15, 2023
Planned: 45 min easy run
Treadmill - 45 min Just Run (0:45:04, 3.14 mi, 14:21 pace)
Garmin - 0:45:05 (3.14 mi, 14:22 pace)

Friday, February 17, 2023
Today was the unofficial end of my running maintenance. I woke up with horrible indigestion, and barely made it through the day. I went to bed early.

Saturday, February 18, 2023
Planned: 45 min easy run
I still wasn’t feeling well today, but I wanted to get some movement in so I did a 30 min walk class (very slowly) on the tread.
Treadmill - 30 min walk class (1.09 mi, 27:32 pace)

Sunday, February 19, 2023
I felt better today, but still wasn’t 100%. I did one more walking class at a slow pace for some intentional movement.
Treadmill - 20 min walk class (0.85 mi, 23:32 pace)

Princess Weekend 2023 princess:
Despite what I should’ve done after not running last weekend, I decided to take the first few days of my trip as a vacation and enjoy my park time with friends and family instead of adding in running. On Monday and Tuesday I walked a little over 9 miles each day. I ended up with over 10 miles on Wednesday, and enjoyed After Hours for the first time at Hollywood Studios. I‘ve never experienced an After Hours before, but it was fantastic. It reminded me of late extra magic hours of the past, with bonus snacks and beverages. I had a great time and hope to be able to attend another one!

Thursday, February 23, 2023 - Expo Day
After getting in late from After Hours I intended to sleep in a little today, but that didn’t work out. I relaxed in bed until around 8:00, and then started to get myself ready for the day. I stopped to join the runDisney virtual queue and ended up with Group 50. I wasn’t as anxious for this one because I had preordered the pins and magnets I wanted. After joining the queue I checked Instagram for some expo merch previews, and was happy to see that there wasn’t anything I felt like I needed to buy. I finished getting ready, got breakfast, and eventually we made our way to the expo.

When we arrived at the expo we headed straight to the merch building entrance. They were up to group 45, so despite the estimated wait time I thought we’d be called fairly soon. I was wrong, they kept decreasing the groups they were calling without adding in any additional groups. Group 50 was called in at 12:14pm, and we made our way inside.

The next waiting room was considerably more crowded than when I was in group 46 at MW. We were pretty far back in the room, but moving at a very consistent pace for awhile. Eventually we just stopped. I’m not sure if they were attempting to reduce crowds, but after my second expo experience with the virtual queue I’m still not happy with it. I hate the fact that I’m even considering Club runDisney after knowing it’s a money grab and that they’ve found so many ways to make such a large expense so appealing. I don’t blame anyone for purchasing it, but I hate that it’s become almost a necessity.

I checked out through mobile order, and then remembered I needed to pick up my pre purchased merchandise so I made my way over to do so. I asked about being able to apply the discount (as was mentioned for the first time in the runDisney blog a long time ago), and was send to the solutions area to ask. Well, they had no information other than suggesting that I go on line and ask, and that they think I would receive the discount as a merchandise credit. I expressed that I had already mobile ordered to avoid waiting in that line, but they didn’t have another answer. I sincerely was not upset with them (and shared that with them during our conversation a few times), but here was another example of there being no real plan for handling issues. I know in the past this was handled by returning what was purchased and rebuying (although this was never officially offered, I have been able to do this once before). Long story short, I shortened my stay at the expo because I now have to return another day to ask for my discount…

After merch I went to bib pickup, and was surprised to find that we were asked to go to the left, only to find that we were walked in a complete circle around the building. My guess was this was done to avoid the insane bib pickup lines from MW, but the lines in the room where Dopey pickup was were unreal. I wonder if anyone actually ended up standing in lines there! Luckily bib pickup wasn’t an issue and we were in and out. We did have a short line into the main expo building. I did a quick run through there to pick up my race shirts, get my AdventHealth stickers, and take pictures of the race maps. I picked up my Kellsie’s Hope shirt, and then we left for the evening.

The rest of the day was quiet. We got dinner and brought it back to the room, I got my race things together, and then we relaxed in the room for the evening. And here I am. Officially caught up, and ready for bed. It doesn’t feel like it, but in a couple hours I’ll be getting up and ready for the 5K!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter