Sony Memory Stick Question

maggie-c

Earning My Ears
Hi,

I'm leaving in 3 days and need to assess whether I should purchase another 128m Memory Stick for my Sony CyberShot 2.1 MP digital camera.

How many pictures can you fit on a 128m Memory Stick?

Thanks!

Maggie

We also have a Sony Cybershot. I'm not sure exactly how many pictures the 128mb memory stick holds. I think it depends on what resolution you have your camera set on. We have on 8mb card (came w/camera), a 32mb card and a 128 mb card. We also have a Canon elph to take pictures with, but we mostly use the Sony and we have never run out of room for pictures.

I looked this up on Sony's web site: http://www.ita.sel.sony.com/memorystick/benefits.html#highcap

It says "One 128 MB Memory Stick media equals the storage capacity of 88 floppy disks. This holds up to 1,960 pictures at VGA resolution or up to four hours of music or up to 8 hours and forty minutes of voice recordings. "

Hope this helps! Have a great trip.

Thanks so much for your reply! We also have an Elph that we use in addition to the digital!

I think I'll be ok with the two 128mb memory sticks that we have -- one has 80 pictures on it and the other has about 50. I bought 6 rolls of APS film so that should be enough.

Just a friendly piece of advice for memory sticks!

Don't put them in your room safe by themselves. They are very tiny and very easy to leave behind (we did this at the Contemporary with pictures of my DS 1st haircut on it - doh!) We got it back but it was a nailbiter! Better to put them in a safe spot in your luggage or purse.

Gravymom

we have a sony 5 megapixel and our 128 mg memory stick will hold 51 pictures at the highest resolution. So it should hold more pictures for your size megapixel.. We are going at christmas and have two 128 meg sticks but we are taking a laptop to remove the pictures at night and to veiw them in case something turns out bad and we need to go retake the picture..

Have a great time

This is probably a silly question, but I'm new to the digital camera world. I think I understand that you get less pictures on a memory stick if you use a higher resolution, but do the memory sticks "lose" their ability to hold pictures? Someone said that one of their 128 sticks holds about 80 pictures and the other holds about 50. Can someone help me understand? Thanks.

The number of pictures a mem stick can hold depends on the resolution you select for your camera. My 128 mb stick holds about 80 pictures in JPG format 2272 x 1704 resolution. If I select TIFF format it only holds 5 pictures at that resolution. In 1600 x 1200 jpg format I get about twice the number if pictures on the stick.

What I do is take most of my pictures in the 1600 x 1200 jpg format and if there is a very special picture I swith to the 2272 x 1704 and TIFF format for those once in a while shots. I also bring a laptop with me to down load the pictures each night to clean up for the next day. So how many memory sticks do you need?? Depends on if you can down load your pictures at night and how many pictures you think you'll take.

Have fun and good luck, hope this helps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter