Sooo confused!

Figment56

DIS Veteran-Imagination, Imagination, a dream can
We are going back in August and are unsure of what kind of tickets to buy! This is the first time this has ever happened to us. We are DVC members and don't know if we should get APs, PAPs or just 6,7 or 10 day PHP. Money is a little tight and I don't know what would be the best option. We would like to take advantage of the dining experience with the AP. It would be myself, DH, DD and a friend of hers, but we only have to worry about our tickets. If we get APs or PAPs, I don't know if we will get back in time next year to use them. We enjoy going as close to the last week in August as we can. I work at a local school and daughter hates to miss any school, so we are relegated to school vacation weeks. I also don't like it in July and early Aug-too hot! I thought end of June would be nice, but got scared off by all the rain in June-I believe it rained most of last two weeks? Also, is the dining option a good deal? Any suggestions?

I would definately go for at least one AP, if only to get the DDE card, which is soooooooo worth it. What you don't mention in your post is how many days you will be going. I figure with the discount, anything over 6 days and one (or all) of us gets an AP. The DDE will run you $50 with the AP, but we broke even on that on the second day we used it... and since then we've gone 7 more days and will get another 5-14 more before the DDE expires.

Here's the way I figure it: the 6 day park-hopping MYW ticket (we always park-hop) that exires after 14 days will run youroughly $250, while the AP runs a little under $315. Differential there is $65, to which you can add the DDE card expense of $50, so $115 more than you would have spent. IMO you can easily get $115 or more in savings at Disney restaurants in 6 days, so breakeven for me is the 6 day mark - that or any year where I am definately making more than one WDW visit. Your Milage MayVary, of course.

Good luck!

We are going for 8 days. I had thought one PAP and 2 10-days, non-expiring PHP. That way, what we don't use on the 10, we will have for next year anyway!

Oh, so you use the "Plus" options that much? So we're talking roughly the same price between the 10 day, no expiration premium ticket and the PAP after DVC discount, or at most $10. I dunno, that would push me to the PAP.

However, the No Expiration option doesn't really help you if its only for two days (maybe more if you don;t hit the parks every day). Perhaps the 8 day Premium MYW ticket with Expiration is the way to go, since the savings there is over $100 per ticket; or maybe if you plan on fewer park days, go with the 6 or 7 day expiring ticket and save a little more.

It's a tough call. Given that your break-even on the DDE would have to be about $150 ($100 ticket differential*1 ticket, + the $50 cost) and 20% off at disney restaurants (including wine) goes a long way. We usually order wine with dinner, and sometimes even with lunch (hey, we're on vacation, plus it's good for you, isn't it?) and we eat at sit down restaurants for one or two meals a day, so if it were me with your schedule, I'd get one PAP and one expiring MYW ticket. But since in the original post you noted that money was a little tight, maybe you ought to just save $100+ per ticket and get two MYW expiring tix and go for the PAP next year.

But the choice here seems to me between the expiring MYW premium tickets and the DVC discounted PAP. The no epxiry tix just don;t seem to be a very good deal given the facts as laid out here.
Again, YMMV.

What is a PAP?
If I am going in October05 and then again in May06 and then I hope to book a four night cruise in Oct 06 would an AP be a smart move? Even if it is just to buy DDE for one person?
Each of these trips will not be longer than four nights.
Thanks. :sad2:

mommary said:
What is a PAP?
Premium Annual Pass. In additon to unlimited access to the 4 major parks, it includes unlimited admission to the waterparks, Disney Quest, Wide World of Sports and Pleasure Island.
mommary said:
If I am going in October05 and then again in May06 and then I hope to book a four night cruise in Oct 06 would an AP be a smart move? Even if it is just to buy DDE for one person?
Thanks. :sad2:
It depends on how many days you would spend in the parks and how many times (if any) that you would visit the other attractions. You have to do the math -

If the DDE is only for one person, I doubt it would be a good value for you. The card costs $50 (if you have the AP), so you would have to eat $250 worth of food in the participating restaurants to break even. The break even point would be even more if you pay for an AP when a different, less expensive ticket would have met your needs.

My advice is to do the math based on what you plan to do and buy the admission media that is the best value for your touring plans. If that turns out to be an AP or PAP, then take a look at the DDE.

Best wishes -

CarolMN said:
If the DDE is only for one person, I doubt it would be a good value for you.

I think mommary meant that they intend to buy only one DDE card which would get them the 20% discount for the whole party? That's certainly what we will be doing when we're going with my family - I get the DDE card and we get the discount for the whole bill (there will be six of us). ;)

Charlotte

LeCras said:
I think mommary meant that they intend to buy only one DDE card which would get them the 20% discount for the whole party? That's certainly what we will be doing when we're going with my family - I get the DDE card and we get the discount for the whole bill (there will be six of us). ;)

Charlotte
You may be correct. I certainly agree with you about one card working for an entire party. However, there is nothing in mommary's post to lead me to believe that she is traveling with others.

mommary said:
Thanks.

Best wishes -

marianneb said:
Someone please let me know what a DDE card is????? Thank you..

DDE = Disney's Dining Experience. It is a discount card available to Florida residents for $75 /year and to annual passholders for $50 /year. It gives you a 20% discount on the cost of meals and beverages (including alcoholic drinks) at selected WDW restaurants. Read more about it here.

Best wishes -

DDE-Disney Dining card. You get 20% discounts includung alcohol drinks at most Disney resturants. You must be a Floride res or have a annual pass.
Cost $75 Florida res
$50 Annual Pass Holder

Thank you. I am pretty new to all of this. I really appreciate all of your input and help.. Marianne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter