Southwest Airlines and seating with a child

kim

Mouseketeer
We usually fly Delta, but for some crazy reason, they are only flying direct flights out of Nashville to
Orlando on a smaller 50 seat Comair plane. I just don't want to fly on it. The flights during the July 4th
week have always been packed for the larger planes. I called them and they didn't think it would change.

So, I'm looking at Southwest. Our party is mom, dad and 8 year old daughter. I know they don't have
assigned seats. Anyone who has flown SW, please let me know your experience with sitting together.
Maybe I'm worrying over nothing, but I need help!!!

kim

I just recently flew Southwest with my three year old daughter. They let children four and under pre-board which allows parents to sit with their children. My advice for traveling with an eight year old is to get there early and get a low boardng number. You should have no problem if you do that. Otherwise, the southwest flight attendants were VERY nice and I am sure they would help you.

We have flown SW for a couple of years. We are a family of 4 that includes two children now 9 & 10. As someone said, get there early and get a low boarding pass. We have always been in the first two groups to board (1-60) and have always had our choice of seats.

When you check in at SW you are given a boarding pass with a number on it. 1 through the number of passengers. They seat passengers in groups. !st to board will be those with special needs and families with children younger than 5...there has been slight diferences to this policy. We have seen them anounce that you can preboard with children "4 and younger" and "5 and younger". Since your daughter is 8 that part won't make a difference.

As lookingforward said, get there early and you shouldn't have a problem. We have always gotten there very early because of increased security. We usually wait until someone else starts the line, about 1hr 20 minutes before take off, and then hop up and get into line.

Here is a hint: Not everyone in your party needs to get into line with you. Leave your bags with the other adult you are traveling with and your daughter. When it is your turn to show tickets and ID have the others in your party join you. If you find a seat near the check in station you can leave your bags at your seats. Sometimes they just want to see the id's and the faces that go with them and if you are close there is no need for anyone else to get up into line.

My DS is 5. Does anyone else know if pre-boarding is for children 5 and under or 4 and under. I sure would like to be able to pre-board with him. Thanks.:)

Technically it's supposed to be system wide UNDER 5, but the only airport I have seen them do that and not 5 and UNDER is MCO.

We have never had a problem sitting together.

We take SWA to MCO, and it is non-stop from here, but our usual flight originates at Midway in Chicago. At popular vacation times, it is sometimes difficult to find 4 contiguous seats, because the plane is already pretty full when they board here. You may want to call and ask if the flight is coming from somewhere else, and take that into account when deciding how early you need to check in.

Most folks are not crazy about the idea of sitting next to an unaccompanied child, so if it comes to that, you may be able to trade with someone. If that is an issue, try to grab aisle seats; they are more valuable for trading purposes.

Just an FYI. I flew the 50 seater last week from Nashville to Orlando. It is really a nice flight and a 50 seater is actually bigger than you realize. I was very pleased. Boarding and unloading is so much easier when it is not you and 200 of your fellow travelers!

Thanks CarolA.

My husband was interested in what kind of plane is it. He's really
sensitive to a lot of movement (even though he takes the motion
meds). He says he's flown on planes that seat around 50 that had the
propellers on each side and it's a bit more bumpy. Actually, I think
our daughter may be a little prone to it too. I don't want to get
there and have 2 sick people, and know it's coming again on the
way home.

kim

The DL flight from here to Orlando is on a Canadair Jet. No properllers. I did not notice much more motion than in a normal flight, but I travel alot and might not be real observant here. You do get beverage service and it has a restroom. There is VERY limited overhead space, but they take your larger bags at the gate and put them under the plane. You then pick them up at the bottom of the stairs when you land. So for a short trip like mine I did not have to check my luggage. I just gave them my one bag and picked it up when I landed!

SWA flies Boeing 737s. The only motion you should get is from turbulance (sp?)outside.
Nothing prevents motion in that instance.

One thing to keep in mind...

With so many families flying to Orlando, they often don't pre-board those with children because most everyone would be getting in line. They pointed this out to everyone when we flew American Airlines last November. With Southwest, your best bet is to get there early and get a low boarding number.

And one other thing to keep in mind in these days of "high security" -

I had a low boarding number, 27 I think. I had been through the security check before getting to my gate. Had my id checked when I got my boarding pass. Still, as I went up to the boarding attendant, I was pulled out for a final security check. I am a middle-aged white woman, with one small carryon, I am sure I had done NOTHING to arouse suspicion and it was just a routine check. Nevertheless, I lost my chance for early boarding.

Luckily for me, the very kind gentleman behind me saved me a seat next to him in row 5.

I would hope SWA attendants would make sure your 8 year old was still with one parent, even if you lost your place in line, or that other passengers would help you out as that kind man helped me. We're all in this crazy world together!

ps: my "incident" was on 2/11 leaving MCO. Two other friends flying out of MCO on 2/12 had similar experiences or were checked even more thoroughly. We are all middle-aged white women. It just shows what goes on when there is high-alert warning from the feds.

It is a random thing. Depends if you get an "x" on your boarding pass. Since it is computer selected, it matters not what your age, race, or gender is.

Originally posted by GAIL HAYDEN
It is a random thing. Depends if you get an "x" on your boarding pass. Since it is computer selected, it matters not what your age, race, or gender is.

Thanks Gail, I thought it might have been because of the fudge-covered Mickey pretzels in my duffel bag.;)

Oh, yeah, in additon to the "x" they are on the lookout for Fudge Covered Mickey Pretzels too. ;)

SWA starts passing out boarding passes exactly 1 hour before the flight takes off ... but folks start lining up well before that. If your flight takes off at 8:00, passes are handed out at the gate starting at 7:00 -- I'd recommend being in line at the gate between 6:30 and 6:45.

You would want to be in the first boarding group (1-30) if at all possible, but definitely not in the 3rd boarding group or later....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter