Spaceship Earth to close for 2+ years?

I think they should've started it the beginning of next year, so it would be ready for the 50th anniversary. I'm planning as huge trip for 2021 and it's a bummer that SE won't be open :(

Obviously we don't know the details of the timing, but my guess is that they want to wait until at least one of Rat or Guardians is open before they take SSE down ...

... also seems like for EPCOT they are now planning more towards that parks 40th anniversary vs WDW's 50th for things to be completed by

well, any details are definitely just a rumor - but seems to be a rumor with some legs. At the very least it seems like there is a good chance of a pretty substantial refurb happening to SSE - but the exact timeline isn't set yet

BTW - there is another thread where this topic is being discussed if you want to see some other speculation/reaction about it: https://www.disboards.com/threads/spaceship-earth-to-close-for-2-years.3711169/

well, any details are definitely just a rumor - but seems to be a rumor with some legs. At the very least it seems like there is a good chance of a pretty substantial refurb happening to SSE - but the exact timeline isn't set yet

BTW - there is another thread where this topic is being discussed if you want to see some other speculation/reaction about it: https://www.disboards.com/threads/spaceship-earth-to-close-for-2-years.3711169/

Oh sorry, I didn't see that thread, but I guess I wasn't looking in this forum. Feel free to combine mine into that thread if it makes sense to do so. Thanks!

Spaceship earth, is basically the same as when it first open. Guest doing major replacement of ride, too long for rehab. Walt’s mistake was the future came to fast, for ECPOT

:tongue: To be fair, wouldn't be a bad idea since I've never been to the Smithsonian museums. lol
Seriously. Take the metro between the Air & Space Museum and Museum of American History, and you get to experience Spaceship Earth times eleventy billion. :)

Buy the candles. There are more than a few companies that sell Disney inspired fragrances if you don't want the ones that actually pay Disney to try and mimic them.
I’m honestly surprised I haven’t done that yet. The Disney world subreddit gave a similar scent to the one in flight of passage and I’ve never been more tempted to buy a fragrance

I am currently on the Backstage magic tour and this just came up. The guide said as of right now it is completely a rumor

So take that for what it's worth

I'm guessing the guide doesn't have friends in WDI like wdwnt does

This is true. He said he has been with Disney 30 years and too only trust official blog when it comes to rumors. But I guess that's the line he always has to give .

They were working on 3 train cars from Spaceship Earth in the craft shop. Was pretty cool seeing them being maintenanced.

This is true. He said he has been with Disney 30 years and too only trust official blog when it comes to rumors. But I guess that's the line he always has to give .

They were working on 3 train cars from Spaceship Earth in the craft shop. Was pretty cool seeing them being maintenanced.
I think I saw a little bit of every vehicle when I did my backstage magic. For some reason my mind is drawing a blank on the vehicles but I remember everything else. I think they were working on an Everest vehicle because the seats were just lying around. Anywho the main reason why I responded was I can’t help but come to the conclusion I agree with his statement on the blog. Rumors are fun but I feel like anymore I need the official statement

The insiders I know have not ruled it out, but it's not 100% confirmed at this point.

There's a few issues I can see

-No sponsor, so Disney has a habit of either shoving their own IP into something or cheapening out, unless they get another sponsor for it
-The existing track is integrated into the structure of the building, which is partially why it wasn't turned into the previous "Time racers" rollercoaster concept several years ago

I wonder if whatever changes they make will require them to open up parts of the sphere to replace things...that would be interesting.

The insiders I know have not ruled it out, but it's not 100% confirmed at this point.

There's a few issues I can see

-No sponsor, so Disney has a habit of either shoving their own IP into something or cheapening out, unless they get another sponsor for it
-The existing track is integrated into the structure of the building, which is partially why it wasn't turned into the previous "Time racers" rollercoaster concept several years ago

I wonder if whatever changes they make will require them to open up parts of the sphere to replace things...that would be interesting.

I wonder if there would be a way to sort of combine the current story with adding in more of the "Disney" story as there is a lot of connection between Disney and communication int he 20th century (and beyond). I mean, start of movies (particularly with sound) and animation, then color animation ... then the role in TV of Walt hosting shows and using communication to advertise for Disneyland, then the Mickey Mouse Club and the role that played in mid-20th century .... all the storytelling they do via different forms of communication the parks .... and going forward their streaming service.

So keep much of the beginning the same (just freshen up animatronics, etc. and then tie in more of the "Disney brand" once you get post 1900 - but less IP and more "Disney" ... if you have to use the part where you go backwards to advertise the next upcoming big movie or something

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!