Spaghetti Squash.

Emmanell

Earning My Ears
I'd like to put a plug in for spaghetti squash. Although a little expensive, it is a fantastic thing to add to any type of meat. I usually just cut it in half wrap it in plastic wrap, and microwave it. It's really nice, with some seasoned salt and a little butter spray or olive oil.

Agree! It's really easy to grow if you have a garden, too.

I eat it with spaghetti sauce! You can also cook it in the microwave. Be sure to poke holes deeply into the squash, though. One time, I either heated it too fast or didn't poke enough holes -- It exploded in the microwave and it looked like there were brains everywhere -- my own version of Veggie Tales from the Crypt.

I LOVE it too! Use it just as a side but also as a base for chicken or shrimp parm (baked of course).

It is so yummy, little olive oil and a little sprinkling of parm. I also used to sprinkle some crushed red pepper flaks.

Like a PP I just eat it with spaghetti sauce and have it as a meal. Sometimes I'll mix some spinach or something with it. It's a good light dinner.

I use it as a healthy replacement for pasta for everything including pasta salad and Tia noodles.

A week ago I sautéed peppers, onions and zucchini with spicy, lean turkey sausage, and put that on top of the spaghetti squash - it didn't look pretty, but was delicious!

I also like it topped with spaghetti squash and turkey meatballs. :)

Dying to try this...but a touch intimidated ... I LOVE pasta. DH is very anti starch/carbs though.:)

The spaghetti squashes I've seen are pretty good size...do they save well??

I'd love to try spaghetti squash as a replacement for pasta. Any tips on how to pick one, how to cook, how many for 3 people? Any helpful hits are appreciated!

We eat spaghetti squash about once a week.

The best way I have found to cook is cut in half, scoop out the seeds, polk some holes in the outside and place each half upside down on a piece of parchment paper on a cookie sheet in the oven. I think it takes about 30 minutes, but it depends on the size. I just keep an eye on it and polk the squash and when it is tender it is done. :)

ETA: Oven temp ~350

The holes let the steam out and makes it less watery as does cooking it on the parchment paper.

There are a bunch of recipes on pinterest and you can do so much with spaghetti squash. Lately we have been having "baked spaghetti" squash. I take the cooked squash out, fluff it a little bit, but don't remove from the shell, add sauce and cheese and reheat in the oven until the cheese melts. In this case DH and I each eat a half of a small squash. We eat it right out the shell.

Upcoming for dinner I have planned spaghetti squash with dried cherries, goat cheese and sauteed red onions.

Hope this helps. :)

Thank you!! Going to buy a couple this weekend and give them a whirl. I'll look on Pinterest although "baked spaghetti" squash sounds yummy!

Can't believe I've never tried this! I'm going to get some this weekend too. Feel in a bit of a rut with meals at the minute, it's so hard to think of new things to cook, feel like we have the same every week.

Last week we had spaghetti squash pancakes. My husband made them with almond flour and a few other ingredients I cannot remember. They were delicious.

I also eat it to replace pasta. I remove the seeds, boil one half in water, drain it, then scrape the flesh to make "noodles."

They are a pain to cut but our grocery stores will cut it in half for you.

We also love spaghetti Squash.

Here is a tip I've learned to help cut them in half, ( Because yes they are difficult to cut and you want to make sure you cut them evenly in half so both take the same amount of time to bake)

Put the entire squash in the oven for about 15-20 minutes. That softens it up and makes it MUCH easier to cut.

Before I found out I could do that, I use to cut it at room tempature with a large knife and it was quite intimidating... i never knew if the knife was gonna slip and I would cut myself in the process;)

Its so good! I have around 8 growing in my garden now! If you boil it for around 5 minutes, it'll be even more like pasta. Best with sun-dried tomatoes and low-fat alfredo.

I love it too! I cut it in half, pour some Olive oil on a baking sheet. Sprinkle squash with Gallic salt and baked outside up on sheet at 350 for 30 minutes. Add a bit of aside or a bit of butter- yum! And yes it costs about $5 each but I get 3/4 lunches out of it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!