Special Needs daughter will not wear mask

Could the trip be a way to encourage your daughter to get used to wearing a mask? An incentive, with time spent now getting used to wearing one? (hugs, as I know this is hard to do!)
She won’t wear one at all. She doesn’t understand.
We live near WDW and we drive over to see the buses and monorail go by. We will hold off on the parks, but may do a resort stay at AKL. She can watch the animals from the balcony.

may do a resort stay at AKL. She can watch the animals from the balcony
Just be aware that she will need a mask in public areas of the resort as well. So getting to/from the room, restaurants or pool, etc. It is only allowed to be off in your room, within the pool gates, and when seated at a restaurant with food/drink.

Are her teachers/therapists working with her on mask use? Or has the school given an exception and they aren't even attempting to work on it? The schools here are allowing exceptions but continuing to work with the students who struggle with masks; I was surprised when my daughter reported that all the kids in her special ed classes are wearing masks because we had been forewarned that some kids may be wearing face shields and all students in the class would need to wear one. But at least in any of her classes they have managed to get the kids used to masks.

Just be aware that she will need a mask in public areas of the resort as well. So getting to/from the room, restaurants or pool, etc. It is only allowed to be off in your room, within the pool gates, and when seated at a restaurant with food/drink.

Are her teachers/therapists working with her on mask use? Or has the school given an exception and they aren't even attempting to work on it? The schools here are allowing exceptions but continuing to work with the students who struggle with masks; I was surprised when my daughter reported that all the kids in her special ed classes are wearing masks because we had been forewarned that some kids may be wearing face shields and all students in the class would need to wear one. But at least in any of her classes they have managed to get the kids used to masks.
Her school is still out due to Covid. 😕

Are they making any exceptions to mask rules? My developmentally delayed daughter will not keep a mask on.

I'd suggest going to Legoland instead. If she's under 8, no mask required, and they do make exceptions. When they re-opened in June, masks were only recommended. They had to require them per Polk County's order after July 7th. Polk County's order clearly gives ADA exemptions. All the county orders do, but not all businesses adhere to that.

Legoland also had a really cool hotel, and had been giving some terrific discounts.

Last edited:
may do a resort stay at AKL. She can watch the animals from the balcony.

Hi, if you do happen to go for an animal kingdom resort stay, consider using rental DVC points/ confirmed reservation from DVC rental store. You will save a fortune, we do this often for minute trips and you will love it. Message me if you need help, I’m a special needs mom too. Good luck and god bless your little one 🥰

I teach 3 & 4 year olds. During the first week of school, I gave every student a Disney mask. I read books about mask wearing which basically taught children that if they wear masks, they are super heroes saving the world. Our social worker created social stories and works one-on-one with students struggling with wearing a mask. We use a lot of positive reinforcement to assist the children in complying with the rules of social distancing and mask wearing.

Ultimately, education begins at home. The children that practiced at home are more compliant with wearing masks, including our students with special needs.

I teach 3 & 4 year olds. During the first week of school, I gave every student a Disney mask. I read books about mask wearing which basically taught children that if they wear masks, they are super heroes saving the world. Our social worker created social stories and works one-on-one with students struggling with wearing a mask. We use a lot of positive reinforcement to assist the children in complying with the rules of social distancing and mask wearing.

Ultimately, education begins at home. The children that practiced at home are more compliant with wearing masks, including our students with special needs.
My daughter is 20 and not having it. We will have to be creative at home with Disney Magic.

Thank you everyone for the input. Definitely a lot to adjust too. Right now we are taking rides to WDW and watching the monorails while we eat lunch in the car. It’s a start and she waves to Mickey when we leave.
a next step could be wearing a mask in the car until lunch time

I don’t understand why people keep trying to “help” the OP figure out how to get her daughter to wear a mask. She’s said, repeatedly, that her daughter will not wear one, she seems ok with waiting until the mask requirement is lifted, and she didn’t ask for help.

Continuing to offer “help” just comes across to me as believing that we know more about her own daughter than she does...kind of insulting, IMO.

I don’t understand why people keep trying to “help” the OP figure out how to get her daughter to wear a mask. She’s said, repeatedly, that her daughter will not wear one, she seems ok with waiting until the mask requirement is lifted, and she didn’t ask for help.

Continuing to offer “help” just comes across to me as believing that we know more about her own daughter than she does...kind of insulting, IMO.

There may be something she didn't try - who knows? Could be some info on here helps someone else, or another situation with the OP's daughter at a later date. I think people have been very kind about it when offering ideas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter