Special Needs daughter will not wear mask

I don’t understand why people keep trying to “help” the OP figure out how to get her daughter to wear a mask. She’s said, repeatedly, that her daughter will not wear one, she seems ok with waiting until the mask requirement is lifted, and she didn’t ask for help.

Continuing to offer “help” just comes across to me as believing that we know more about her own daughter than she does...kind of insulting, IMO.
main reason for offering help is she asked in first post about exception to mask rule for special needs daughter which is not offered, most of us want her to be able to take her daughter as she seems to want to do. as a parent of special needs adult I find it also insulting to expect an exception because she is special needs. just the way I look at it

I don’t understand why people keep trying to “help” the OP figure out how to get her daughter to wear a mask. She’s said, repeatedly, that her daughter will not wear one, she seems ok with waiting until the mask requirement is lifted, and she didn’t ask for help.

Continuing to offer “help” just comes across to me as believing that we know more about her own daughter than she does...kind of insulting, IMO.
As someone who manages care for a DD adult, I assure you that any advice can be helpful whether I specifically asked for it or not. Every little daily task is a challenge in some way and you can never know too much or consider too many tricks and ideas. Getting triggered when people try to help only exacerbates the problems.

Maybe someone has a brilliant idea that would actually work. You never know.

Sorry for your dilemma. My 35 year old daughter with Down syndrome is the best of all of us about wearing her mask. She’s a rule follower snd always has been. For her I think structure gives her confidence.
She uses sanitizer constantly and actively moves away from people who get close to her. I wish I had some ideas for you but that’s how she is wired. She had Zoom programs for months and just got back to in person programs with stringent rules. She’s wears a mask for five straight hours without complaint doing fitness classes, Zumba, trivia etc.
She is our angel on earth as I’m sure your daughter is. I’ve had so many people say how lucky she is to have us as parents. Our response is that she gives us way more than we could ever give her.

We were able to go to Disney Springs today and if we both hold her hands we were able to get her to keep it on about 30 minutes.
I also put gloves on her yesterday so she could be a doctor....we got her to leave it alone in the car watching the buses for about 10 minutes.

Just going to keep getting inventive...appreciative of the feedback.

I watched YouTube videos with my autistic grandson of his favorite WDW rides. Before the video started, I told him we have to wear mask for ten seconds. Each day I extended the time until he left the mask on the entire video. About 2 weeks passed and he was fine wearing it all the time. Transitioning can be difficult but making a game out of it worked. Once he was fine with wearing the mask, It became a rule.

We were able to go to Disney Springs today and if we both hold her hands we were able to get her to keep it on about 30 minutes.
I also put gloves on her yesterday so she could be a doctor....we got her to leave it alone in the car watching the buses for about 10 minutes.

great start small steps at a time. it will come just something to think about just assuming she had refused to wear shoes I am guessing you would have worked thru it slowly just as you are now doing with masks. if she is into video or online games a good time to wear one is then. it is not going to happen overnight but I bet nothing has come overnight with her. keep working and one day she will get that Disney visit

I think it would be insulting coming from someone who doesn’t care for a special needs person.

This is encouraging news! Good for you and your daughter!

This extremely encouraging for me. We have a nine-year-old who will start working with his ABA therapist this next week with a mask. I am skeptical but hey, miracles can happen. He is non-verbal, and very aggressive at times. He has always refused hats and shoes can even be a challenge at times.

We have a large family trip planned for Dec 17 - Dec 22nd. I am scared to death that he will be in the room the entire trip because of not being able to keep a mask on. The thought of him looking off the balcony and not being able to go to his favorite place will kill me. Most will say I should cancel I am sure but I personally need this vacation and so do my other four children (one of which is a 21-year-old with autism that loves Disney).

I know this not a debate thread but sometimes you do wish that others could understand what we are going through, Disney included. My son does not even ride on the rides. If they could at least open up the mask mandate in the outdoor areas where social distancing was occurring life would get easier for us.

Congrats on the process!

This extremely encouraging for me. We have a nine-year-old who will start working with his ABA therapist this next week with a mask. I am skeptical but hey, miracles can happen. He is non-verbal, and very aggressive at times. He has always refused hats and shoes can even be a challenge at times.

We have a large family trip planned for Dec 17 - Dec 22nd. I am scared to death that he will be in the room the entire trip because of not being able to keep a mask on. The thought of him looking off the balcony and not being able to go to his favorite place will kill me. Most will say I should cancel I am sure but I personally need this vacation and so do my other four children (one of which is a 21-year-old with autism that loves Disney).

I know this not a debate thread but sometimes you do wish that others could understand what we are going through, Disney included. My son does not even ride on the rides. If they could at least open up the mask mandate in the outdoor areas where social distancing was occurring life would get easier for us.

Congrats on the process!
I would not expect mandate to change anytime soon. as I have said earlier to others find a mask that fit your child have a few that he can play with as he wants. everyone practices at home. small steps at a time. I have found while the small park I work at was open this year all the kids that were successful were the ones that came expecting to wear and did. this included special needs ones including special needs on staff which we have a number of. just one thing I found useful years ago working with special needs expect them to be able to do something with in reason and they will not let you down. know it will not happen overnight but your son will some day be able to wear his mask given the reason and the believe him attitude. if you expect him to fail and he is going to fail so he does not let you down. granted I never had a low special needs of my own but have worked with a number. and I have always found that to be true. you guys need this trip so make it work for all of you and good luck with your trip

what about lightly scenting the masks with that Disney perfume stuff that smells like the various resorts and Parks?

GREAT idea about "being a doctor" - maybe Doc McStuffins can be inspirational?

have any of you tried the "lipstick savers" that are frames that go inside the mask? I bought some of these on amazon and they really do keep the mask away from my mouth and create a little "pocket" around it. It might be good for a SN child/ adult who hates having the mask on their mouth. They come in adult and child sizes. I slip mine in a mask with a pocket for a filter. :)

That's awesome!

She won’t wear one at all. She doesn’t understand.
We live near WDW and we drive over to see the buses and monorail go by. We will hold off on the parks, but may do a resort stay at AKL. She can watch the animals from the balcony.
I wont be able to bring my disabled daughter either, as she doesn't understand and wont wear a mask. I know what you're going through!

I think it would be insulting coming from someone who doesn’t care for a special needs person.
I have worked with adults and children with special needs for the past 36 years, not to mention the fact that I have family members with special needs. Any comments I made were meant to be constructive and helpful. If they were considered offensive or overreaching in any way, that was never my intention.

Awesome!!!

I thought of something this morning and I am tempted to contact Disney. If they could consider a rain cover on the stroller for the kids with disabilities, that could potentially work for many of us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter