Special offer to guests whose trips were canceled - meh?

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Right at $300 difference (don't forget you have to add on the park hopper too) per adult ticket is a lot. And for those who have AP or have purchased tickets elsewhere, that $300 difference is huge.
You didn't have to add hoppers to get this deal.

Pretty darn close and minimal though. Sure only needing to purchase 2 instead of 4 days, but that's a very minimal difference in price, especially considering for most; if they're having to purchase tix; it'll probably be more than for only 2 days... the issue is purchasing new tix. Don't get me wrong, certainly better than nothing, but I agree with OP that it's really nothing to be excited about, especially for those on the boards who follow Disney and already had an opportunity to book free dining if they wanted.
We’re a family of four who generally have AP’s. We like fd and so we take advantage of it and hold on to tickets for use another time. Going down to 2 day base tickets from 4 day hopper tickets is a huge upfront savings! It‘s a difference of $1200 for our family.

Could appear to be exciting for those less educated about Disney though.
I think this is a great offer for the savvy free dining population who recognize the savings in dropping those hoppers.

For this FD offer you can get a base ticket. No PH required.
You didn't have to add hoppers to get this deal.

Yes, I know that. That's why I said this was not like the regular free dining promo and a much better deal than usual. I was trying to show the PP how it was more than just a little difference between what is normally required for free dining.

Does anyone know if you can use your original pin code with this or do you have to pay full price for the room?
You cannot. You can only have one discount at a time. For Free Dining, you would need to pay rack rate for the room. But, rack rates are lowest in the Value 2 period of August and September, so from that perspective, your room may not cost as much as say, Easter April dates.

So I already rebooked (through Dreams) my SB trip which would have began today March 29th :sad2: for Thanksgiving week - fingers crossed. But I received the email from Disney Destinations with the Special Offer and I must say it does not really excite me at all, am I the only one? Now, I rebooked, without any discounts to speak of, and I dont feel Disney owes me a discount for closing the resort to be responsible just like every other similar business. But let’s face it - the discount is really to get people to come back to WDW as soon as it’s safe. And this free dining offer, with no other discount isn’t really that exciting. Or is it just me?

How many families want to eat quick service only everyday?!?! At WDW! If it were DL maybe... Why is the Quick Service Dining Plan the only thing offered for Value AND Moderate Resorts now that they have this option... So disappointing. Like people who stay in these less expensive resorts only eat fast food.

I think they would fill up more rooms with a package discount! And I know Free Dining is always popular, but is this QS option too? And using two QS credits for TS isn’t worth it to me, for every other day.

It’s just not my jam...

From Disney Destinations:

Get a FREE dining plan

when you purchase a non-discounted Walt Disney Travel Co.package that includes Theme Park tickets and accommodations at a select Disney Resort hotel.

Valid for arrivals June 1- Sept 30
Book thru May 31

This offer is valid only for Guests who booked a vacation package or room reservation to stay at a Disney Resort hotel during the dates Walt Disney World Resort is closed. Offer not valid for reservations canceled before March 1, 2020.

Guests receive the Disney Quick-Service Dining Plan
with stays at a select Disney Value Resort or select Disney Moderate Resort
Dine at a Quick-Service locations where you can simply order and find a seat. No reservations required! With this plan, everyone in your party ages 3 and over receives the following:
  • Two (2) Quick-Service Meals (per night of stay)
  • Two (2) Snacks / Nonalcoholic Drinks (per night of stay)
  • One (1) Resort-Refillable Drink Mug*

Guests receive the Disney Dining Plan
with stays at a select Disney Deluxe Resort or select Disney Deluxe Villa Resort
Delight in classic dining options and plan your meals for the day. With this plan, everyone in your party ages 3 and over receives the following:
  • One (1) Quick-Service Meal (per night of stay)
  • One (1) Table-Service Meal (per night of stay)
  • Two (2) Snacks / Nonalcoholic Drinks (per night of stay)
  • One (1) Resort-Refillable Drink Mug*

We hope to see ya this summer!
Meh. I've always thought Free Dining was a poor deal. Lots of others like it, though, so Disney is smart to offer it now. They do already have a summer resort discount special offer for the general public.

Sounding off - doesn't help me, an AP holder with a cancelled trip. YMMV. I'm truly happy for those whom it does help.

Im glad it works for some people but its not a great deal for us. We are booked at a moderate with a PH for a week with teens who don't eat a ton. But we prefer TS to QS at least once a day. And the DP is still more food than we need to eat. Sometimes we share an entree, sometimes we just have apps... etc... or snack around the world! :p

Comparing this offer to “normal FD” is not really a meaningful comp to us. And I really dislike the QS plan offered with the Moderate - back in 2013 we just had DDP at moderate and that was ok, but still too much food.
Owell - happy planning to those who are pleased!

Does anyone know if you can use your original pin code with this or do you have to pay full price for the room?
They would not let me use the discount. I had to pay full price. However, I finally got through to them and was able to add the FD to my new reservation!

I'm thinking the "cancelled guest" offer is their way of giving us "something". My vacation was scheduled for 5/2-5/10. But my family most likely will wait an entire year now. It would have been nice to get a Non-expirational OFFER. But, I will do my best to not see this pessimistically because the monetary losses for the Disney co. are unprecedented.

Not impressed. We have a reservation for the end of May at the campsites, so I'm betting it will be canceled by Disney. There is NO discount for campsites as far as I'm aware, and I've never been impressed by the "free dining" offer anyway. Plus, we have a full kitchen in our TT so we don't need a dining plan. Switching to this "deal" would end up costing us thousands of dollars more than the current trip we have scheduled.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Right at $300 difference (don't forget you have to add on the park hopper too) per adult ticket is a lot. And for those who have AP or have purchased tickets elsewhere, that $300 difference is huge.
We are AP holders and you are correct, paying 2 days is bad enough but when they raised it to 4 it's ridiculous!! And I know I can put it towards my AP renewal but that is a lump of money up front that I have to come up with.

Ahhhhh, Free Dining. Never will for the days of 2005 and 2008 when we got the TS plan with the tip included while staying at the All Star resorts. But it would have been nice if Disney could have at least gave the moderate resorts the TS plan. Dropping the hoppers is nice and will save some people a great deal but with rack rates so astronomically high now, they could have sweetened the pot more. I have a feeling they will have to do just that in the future.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter