Spectator questions

minniegirl19

Mouseketeer
hello! I was wondering if someone could answer this for me. I’m running the marathon in January. This is my first marathon but not my first run Disney race. This is my family’s first time coming to watch me run a run Disney race. If they are spectators do they have to buy the package? Or can they watch me on their own without paying? Can someone please give input if it’s worth the $65 for them to pay to have “reserved viewing” or will they be fine on their own?

Thanks!

They can definitely watch you in various places without paying.

Others will have more info on which areas are best as I have never spectated.

If you google last year’s virtual magazine for the weekend, there’s a section about spectators and where good spots are to watch for free (or with a park ticket). My mom is considered getting platinum chear though for the food and climate controlled tent while she waits for us all to finish.

My family joined me as spectators for the 2017 Disney Marathon. They just went to the finish line area (free since it's technically a parking lot). There are plenty of popular places for viewing that are free, it also depends on where you are staying. If on property check the marathon route for close locations to your hotel. Lots of people line up along the walkway from Hollywood Studios to Epcot via the Boardwalk area. Another popular spot is just outside the Floridian / Polynesian Hotels. Assuming the construction at ESPN will alter the race route, but there are plenty of places to see runners multiple times in that area. It's an out and back so you can see the runners twice. Anything inside a park will require a park ticket. I also recall a zig zag in the Animal Kingdom parking lot. Again, you could see runners twice in this area.

How did they get from place to place?

That can be the tricky part. During the Marathon, there are lots of road closures, which makes taking a car or even park buses a potentially long slog. Realistically, people could probably see you twice--early on course (at TTC or MK), then at the finish. Possibly a stop at AK, but really, twice is probably most realistic.

There will be special buses for runners (which spectators can use), and the monorails will run early hour.s

Take a look at the event guide (linked below) Page 9 lists transportation hours, page 42 has spectator info.

http://rodale-usa.instantmagazine.com/rundisney/dwmar18#!/index

That can be the tricky part. During the Marathon, there are lots of road closures, which makes taking a car or even park buses a potentially long slog. Realistically, people could probably see you twice--early on course (at TTC or MK), then at the finish. Possibly a stop at AK, but really, twice is probably most realistic.

There will be special buses for runners (which spectators can use), and the monorails will run early hour.s

Take a look at the event guide (linked below) Page 9 lists transportation hours, page 42 has spectator info.

http://rodale-usa.instantmagazine.com/rundisney/dwmar18#!/index

Thanks for attaching this guide! For viewing areas, it says locations are available to guests of the GF and Poly. You don’t actually have to be staying there to see runners at those locations, do you?

I’ll be trying to catch DS16 who will be in an early corral, DH somewhere in the middle, and DD14 and friend somewhere early in the corrals that didn’t require a race time. So I’d love to hang out at the Poly while I wait, but we’re staying at Beach Club. I’ll want to get over to Epcot by the time DD and friend finish (which I assume should be easy from the Poly).

Thanks for attaching this guide! For viewing areas, it says locations are available to guests of the GF and Poly. You don’t actually have to be staying there to see runners at those locations, do you?

I’ll be trying to catch DS16 who will be in an early corral, DH somewhere in the middle, and DD14 and friend somewhere early in the corrals that didn’t require a race time. So I’d love to hang out at the Poly while I wait, but we’re staying at Beach Club. I’ll want to get over to Epcot by the time DD and friend finish (which I assume should be easy from the Poly).

I don't know the answer to that, since I've always run, not spectated! Plus, there are spots for anyone at the TTC.

Their best options are to see you at the TTC, walk over to watch you run past the Grand Floridian/Poly, and then take the monorail to Epcot to see you before or at the finish.

As someone who has spectated multiple times and ran mutliple times as well I will give you my personal run down. I will take an event bus to the start area with my runner, from there I hop onto the Monorail over to TTC. I then switch to the resort Monorail and get off at Contemporary. There are great vewing places in front of contemporary. After my runner has passed I then hit the monorail over to Poly or Grand Flo. I then go out to the road infront of Shades of Green to see my runner. Once my runner passes I walk back to TTC and hit the Monorail back to EPCOT. From EPCOT I hit a resort bus to Pop Century. I walk from Pop to Oceola Parkway to see my runner there. Once they pass I then go back to Pop and catch either a event bus or EPCOT bus, whatever comes first. This gives me the time to get over to finish area to see my runner go through.

Some caveats about this plan, I do have to run some myself to get between bus stops and places to see runner. I tend to be as tired or more tired than my runner. This plan is impossible to do with kids or those who are mobilty impared. I have a backpack that I keep water, snacks, raingear, sweatshirt, hat, sunscreen and goodies for my runner. This means I have to go through bag check at any of the controlled access locations.

This plan allows people to see their runner multiple times and in some places where there might not be a ton of spectators, Oceloa Parkway comes to mind. The last time I succesfully deplayed this plan I saw my runner six times. More recently I have been the runner so have not ried this plan in a few years. I hope this helps.

Their best options are to see you at te TTC, walk over to watch you run past the Grand Floridian/Poly, and then take the monorail to Epcot to see you before or at the finish.

This is what my wife has done most years for Spectating the Marathon. She usually gets a Kona breakfast reservation for that morning too. She usually has at least 2.5 hours from when she sees us out front of the Poly to when she needs to be near the finish. A lot of time rather than chearing right at the finish line she sees us inside epcot thens walk out to meet us.

Personally I like to see DH late in the race for an emotional pick-me-up. Usually he meets me in Wide World if Sports by getting to Epcot via race buses then taking a bus from Epcot to WWoS. Then he meets me at mile 19 or so when I could use a hug. I don’t think that was an option last year? Well whether there were buses to WWoS or not he met me in Hollywood Studios instead on Sunset. That way he could enjoy some attractions before I came by. He had an AP and didn’t have to worry about burning an admission to see me.
It’s a trade off though: the further along on the course you meet your runner the less chance you have to get there in time to meet them when they finish. Finish line viewing was never his favorite and I don’t mind waiting a few minutes to meet him after the race so it works for us.
Traffic is a hassle for sure. One year he met me at AK and he says never again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!