Split stay question

mhochman

Mouseketeer
Hi there. We almost always do a split stay, and I always reserve by first getting a full res at our home resort at 11 months, then, at 7 mos, changing to our first desired resort, then a few days later, changing the second half of that resort to our second desired resort.

I'm wondering if it would make sense for my 11 mos holding (just in case) res to be split in two at the beginning. Wouldn't it be easier to change each res on its own, rather than splitting it, etc. at the 7 mos window? I'm not sure why this never occurred to me before.

I do that all the time and yes, it is so much easier to do it that way.
If I End up not getting what I want, it can always be merged together.

But it can’t be split without canceling part out first.

Yes, for ease of modification at 7 months (less risk of losing something), it's best to split the 11 month reservation at your home resort into two separate reservations. That way you can modify as soon as the 7 month window opens for each segment. You don't need extra points (to hold the first part of the home resort reservation) while you see if what you want iat your preferred resort is available. If it isn't, the system just keeps the home resort reservation. If it is, it will use the points from the initial reservation and you are good to go. This is also best if you need to waitlist and want the new reservation to replace the existing one.

The only "stressful" part of this method is getting the two reservations at your home resort if you are trying to book something that needs to be walked. MS almost always refuses to split a reservation into two parts after you have made it, so you need to plan ahead if you want a split stay but don't want to risk having nowhere to stay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!