Sprained Ankle help

theduchesss

Earning My Ears
3 weeks ago I suffered a moderate strain - I couldn't walk on it for a week but soon after that I was able to hobble in a boot with a cane, then just a bit and now I'm in Real Shoe territory. I'm pretty sure I have some mild tearing and wearing a shoe while walking is more painful than barefoot. So that sucks.

My friends and I are going on our yearly F&W trip in 2 weeks and I'm just getting concerned that it will negatively affect our trip. I'm a sport when it comes to pain so I'm not super concerned about that (I know it will hurt and swell during the day) but I'm just not sure what to expect overall. If it hurts too much, I can just buckle and get a wheel chair or ECV. But I've never had an injury like this with a trip so close on the horizon. I want to plan ahead as much as I can both logistically and emotionally.

For those of you have dealt with this - what was your experience? About when did you start to get discomfort? Should I just plan for some wheels? Bring ice packs? Costco-level volumes of advil?

Thank you!

I haven't had to deal with this at disney but I have got weak ankles due to going over on them multiple times and I am avoiding all sport this week as I'm overdue a good injury and we leave for wdw Saturday...
However, I did have a good sprain 3 days before I went out to borneo to spend a couple of weeks in the rainforest. It was sore but I strapped it up, iced it a few times a day and took anti inflammatories and paracetamol. I'm not sure what shoes you're trying but a good pair of trainers with good arch support will help.

Good news is that it is 2 weeks away and you are already 3 weeks into the healing process.:crutches:

You may find in 2 weeks you won't need any of this.
  • Get a good ankle wrap and start using a week before you go so can get used to wearing. If you know you won't be out long, then try going without. You will know if you need to wear it. Better to have it and not need it.
  • Get a reusable cold compress or 2 to keep in your room's fridge and use after being out all day.
  • Bring ziplock bags and ask at counter service restaurants to fill it for you. Just tell them you have an injury you need to ice down and I doubt you will get any flak.
  • Have a cocktail or 2, to help numb any soreness you might be getting.:teeth:

I don't think you will need a chair of any kind. But if it does get to be too much, go the electric route. As someone who had to push someone else around for days, go electric. That was my worst vacation ever.

F&W, I am so jealous.

What you need to do is take painkiller if needed,wear sensible shoes and put your foot down and walk normally even if at first its painful otherwise it will not get better.it has seized up by the sounds of it so be brave and put your foot down!

Sounds like more than a moderate sprain to me, but I can just stand up and sprain my ankle so I am back to normal walking within a week of a severe sprain.

I would take a decent wrap or brace just in case your ankle starts to hurt. If that doesn’t help them definitely make sure to elevate and rest it when you can.

Buy an ankle brace that has side stabilizers. They are flat metal L shaped supports on the outside of the ankle. I have an Ace branded one with two Velcro straps that wrap around along with the stabilizers. Makes hobbling around a lot more bearable. Just wrapping my ankle does nothing as I can still twist my ankle. The stabilizers stop the twisting.
Have busted my ankles many times and never go to the doctor anymore.
As...RICE as someone mentioned is then only thing to do.

I had a severe sprain on 7/13/18. My foot rolled so bad I had cuts on the top which in the dark I thought for sure there were bones sticking out because I didnt realize at the time my foot had been completely upside down. I went to Disney labor day weekend, I had about 6 or 7 PT visits before my trip. I did wait nearly 4 weeks post injury to go because it hurt too bad to do anything on it. The PT had brought stability back to the joint but it definitely was not healed. I would suggest buying an old fashion blue ice bag and carrying it with you. I had a large gel pack that I would wrap my ankle in during afternoon breaks and then again at night. There were some times during the trip that I cried as I was walking or just gave up and sat down. Definitely get a lace up brace with side stabilizers, 2 aleve in the AM and 2 in the PM. I also took spray biofreeze and ended up buying liquid lidocaine to be able to keep going. I came home with an ankle the size of a small grapefruit after 4 days in the parks.

Good Luck, I hope you have a great trip. Just know you may have to take it slower, and allow more time for sitting.

ask dr. about voltarin cream before your trip. made by novartis. generic. may help reduce the inflammation

Make sure you carry a supply of anti-inflammatory/pain meds with you and just be sensible. Good footwear and not overdoing it may be all that you need. Braces can take a bit of getting used to and if you think one will help, give it a good trial before leaving home.

Once you get there, should you find yourself in pain or feel you are holding your group back, help is ALWAYS close at hand and don't hesitate for a minute to make arrangements for whatever will let you fully enjoy your visit. Ice and elevation in the evening won't hurt, either. At the very least, a few cubes in a glass ... cheers!

You should look at what those on the DISabilities board have to say. My son broke his foot just in time for Disney. Since many of them face issues like this on a daily basis, I found they had the best advice on how to handle his pain and mobility concerns. Take care!

My SIL sprained her ankle prior to our trip. She tried making it walking our first day in the parks, but just couldn’t do it. That night we used a wheelchair, but my brothers hands were raw from pushing it just that one night.

Ended up renting an ECV and while not what she wanted to do, it was a huge help. She wouldn’t have been able to make it otherwise, especially for a full week. This was a big trip for them and we all couldn’t reschedule. My brother said it was well worth the $ or else she would have been miserable and made it worse.
Only a few rude remarks waiting for busses, probably because she is releativey young and otherwise in good health.
Doctor said it was fractured when they got home!
Just don’t push it too hard when you get there and if you need to, definitely get an ECV!

IMG_20150905_0001_NEW.jpg Hello. I sprained my ankle on our very first day at Magic Kingdom a few years back. This picture was taken before the ankle started to swell. It got very swollen around the joint. Magic Kingdom first aid arranged a ride for me to a local urgent care clinic. I felt a pop when I fell and I just knew it was fractured. They did an x-ray (No fracture). He said it was a sever sprain. He gave me a lace-up support brace and sent me on my way. Once we got back to Magic Kingdom, they offered the use of a wheel chair. We went about 30 yards in the wheel chair and then I said "No, I'm not doing this." I ended up walking on it the entire week. I had to be careful, especially stepping off of sidewalks and curbs and into and off of the rides. You just have to take it slow and watch everything in your path. I wasn't going to let it ruin my vacation. I really didn't do anything else for it, other than putting some ice on it, using the support brace, and just being very careful in the parks. I went to my doctor when I got back home. He put it in a cast for a little while to let it heal. Good luck to you, I know how you feel.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter