SSR/OKW comparison

kshark1958

Mouseketeer
We've stayed at different DVC resorts but never OKW I guess because I think that SSR our home base and OKW are very similar in comparison.The layout, buildings and distance from parks.But we've never stayed at OKW.So can anyone tell me if there's much difference between the resorts and if it may be worth a visit. I like SSR but if there's not much difference I'll just keep my reservation for SSR.

OKW has larger rooms. OKW studios have (2) actual queen beds, but no couch.
1BR+ are much larger at OKW, even the balcony are larger and have a table with (4) chairs, and definitely worth trying.

Most OKW buildings don’t have elevators which can be a mobility concern. OKW only has a QS window (with no indoor seating) so it’s less than ideal if you eat a lot of QS. Most OKW lovers that really like the OKW TS restaurant.

A lot of guests like the more tropical landscaping around OKW

Otherwise they both share the condo-style, park close to the room, with multiple bus stops in the resort.

I have not stayed there yet, First stay in May. We are owners at SSR and have stayed at all but a GV. From what I know there are only elevators in a few of the buildings not all like SSR. The rooms are the largest of all DVC rooms, and by a lot. They have 2 full queen beds in the studios instead of a pull out couch. The layout I don't think is as large as SSR. And the big one is they just did and are finishing a full hard goods change over.

OKW has larger rooms. OKW studios have (2) actual queen beds, but no couch.
1BR+ are much larger at OKW, even the balcony are larger and have a table with (4) chairs, and definitely worth trying.

Most OKW buildings don’t have elevators which can be a mobility concern. OKW only has a QS window (with no indoor seating) so it’s less than ideal if you eat a lot of QS. Most OKW lovers that really like the OKW TS restaurant.

A lot of guests like the more tropical landscaping around OKW

Otherwise they both share the condo-style, park close to the room, with multiple bus stops in the resort.

Thanks for the info on the elevators. My mom is in an ECV so the limited elevators is a problem which makes my decision easy.

Thanks for the info on the elevators. My mom is in an ECV so the limited elevators is a problem which makes my decision easy.
Yeah, you can place a medical request for a Ground floor room. It seems to work out, but is not an absolute guarantee.

Yeah, you can place a medical request for a Ground floor room. It seems to work out, but is not an absolute guarantee.

My mom was in a wheelchair for years when visiting OKW, at least once, often twice per year. In fact OKW was the only DIsney resort, other than the original Contemporary Tower prior to 1992, where we stayed. We never had a problem getting a ground floor unit. Don;t let that dissuade you from OKW. You do, however, have a higher chance of getting a handicap modified unit on the first floor, as basically all the handicap units at OKW are on the first floor due to the lack of elevators...we were assigned a modified unit about half the time...which was fine, as first floor was our priority. And as I said, we never had a problem getting a first floor unit in the 35 plus times we visited during her life.

Modified units generally have raised commodes, roll in showers, and less undersink storage to allow for wheelchair turning radius.

When I am in the room, OKW is my choice. When I am walking around the resort, SSR is my choice.

I owned at both for years although I just sold my OKW. I like the quick walk to DS From Congress Park at SSR vs taking the boat from OKW.

Parking can be problematic sometimes at OKW. It’s never been an issue at SSR.

Last edited:
We did a split stay at OKW and SSR. We much preferred OKW. My mom was in an ECV also. We called and let them know and we got a room on the bottom floor no problem. Very beautiful resort.

I owned at both for years although I just sold my OKW. I like the quick walk to DS From Congress Park at SSR vs taking the boat from OKW.

Parking can be problematic sometimes at OKW. It’s never been an issue at SSR.
I've only had a problem at two buildings - 15 and 64 (right next to each other). It was because so many CMs liked to park in the Bldg 15 parking lot and 64 doesn't have a parking lot (you have to park at 63).

I've only had a problem at two buildings - 15 and 64 (right next to each other). It was because so many CMs liked to park in the Bldg 15 parking lot and 64 doesn't have a parking lot (you have to park at 63).
Thanks - I couldn’t remember where we had issues with parking. It wasn’t at all locations.

I really liked the size of the OKW units - especially when I had a 2 BR with guests. Now it’s just me and DH so the 1 br at SSR still has plenty of room for us. It’s still a treat when we do a 1 BR vs a studio at SSR.

I sold OKW and am listing a BLT contract because I am now very old with significant health issues. I still love DISNEY but won’t be going as many times a year as before.

Plus the money from the sale of my contracts helps with getting an accessible van and a power wheelchair.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!