SSR Renovations

seems like the rooms are like any other hotel now, no theme

agree theming could maybe have been better but refurb was definitely required and think they look good plus the pull down beds are a big bonus.

I think we've seen less theming with many of the resort renovations. Minor stuff. Horse drawings, fixtures with leather straps, but not much more!

The Grandstand area by the pool has always been our favorite, so we always request standard view. We will be there the 3rd week of September - next month - and I'm not sure what options we will have for our two 2-bedrooms.
Love The Grandstand also

I think SSR always was the most lacking in a theme. I've never been to Saratoga NY though so maybe it perfectly represented the norm there.

At least the new design doesn't look gray, blue and beachy.
I lived in Saratoga Springs, NY for a year. I think its hard to capture the flavor of it, but the horses, springs, leafy trees, somewhat do it. We like the upstate NY area so it was pretty much a good fit for me and my wife to buy into the resort.

I lived in Saratoga Springs, NY for a year. I think its hard to capture the flavor of it, but the horses, springs, leafy trees, somewhat do it. We like the upstate NY area so it was pretty much a good fit for me and my wife to buy into the resort.

I know a few have commented that they just needed to get some actual horses around the property. :)

Saratoga after they have finished the great rooms needs two things.

A really great bar eatery, preferably open sided much like the new one at Copper Creek, built out of that round stone they use on pillars etc at SSR.

The main building refurbing. Cover up the exposed 1980’s internal brick, new sumptuous furniture and class more akin to the lounge at Boardwalk Or the. Breezeway at Beach Club rather than the higgledy piddledy cheap looking furniture (and are those massage chairs still there - horrendous), pictures in cheap looking frames etc. Redo the Turf Club from 1980s golf club style to 2020’s sophisticated NY State Country Club style.

I think SSR always was the most lacking in a theme. I've never been to Saratoga NY though so maybe it perfectly represented the norm there.

At least the new design doesn't look gray, blue and beachy.

I've never found guest room interiors to be particularly well themed. Resorts like Poly, CR and AKV are a little more distinctive. But at each, "theming" amounts to little more than paint, fabrics and a few knick-knacks. 10+ year old photos of BCV, BWV, BRV and others look equally dated and unspectacular.

Building exteriors and public spaces do far more to set the scene.

Wasn’t there a picture of a Chautauqua? I felt connected to Saratoga when I stayed at SSR. I haven’t been to a renovated room, but I expect to be pleased. :)

I've never found guest room interiors to be particularly well themed. Resorts like Poly, CR and AKV are a little more distinctive. But at each, "theming" amounts to little more than paint, fabrics and a few knick-knacks. 10+ year old photos of BCV, BWV, BRV and others look equally dated and unspectacular.

Building exteriors and public spaces do far more to set the scene.

Well, room decor is what creates the theme of a room? And a lot can be done just with paint color. Paint, fabrics, flooring, cabinet styles, fixtures. BWV used to have fun splashes of color in the bathroom tiles and a couple of other things along with pictures that made me think Beach carnival/Jersey shore type theming. BCV - I'd have to think about that. BRV - all the dark wood, colors associated with cabins, cut outs in the laundry doors, pine cone designs all around and of course pictures and the plateware they had for the longest time - definitely a cabiny/woodsy decor. Of course everything gets dated but there's still updates to those same themes that can refresh them while still retaining them. I've never been of the mind that refurbs should just freshen what existed but never thought Disney would go so Holiday Inn. White subway tile - so bored with the white subway tile, the vinyl floors and the white/offwhite/light gray paint everywhere refurbed. SSR refurb is a deviation from that which was so nice to see.

That lawsuit is some big news. Contractor claims they found fire code violations in the original design that required correcting, but Disney would not give up the required money and time. Disney fired the contractor for delays and moved work to a former subcontractor. Additionally, a lead person for the contractor claims Disney harassed them and they have evidence. Not a good situation all around.
Here is a link that Drusba posted in another thread. I read some and what the contractor proves as evidence emails and texts, do not look good for the person DVC had in charge of this project.

For those who may want to read the actual complaint, you can find it here: https://www.****************.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Validus-lawsuit.pdf

Well, room decor is what creates the theme of a room? And a lot can be done just with paint color. Paint, fabrics, flooring, cabinet styles, fixtures. BWV used to have fun splashes of color in the bathroom tiles and a couple of other things along with pictures that made me think Beach carnival/Jersey shore type theming. BCV - I'd have to think about that. BRV - all the dark wood, colors associated with cabins, cut outs in the laundry doors, pine cone designs all around and of course pictures and the plateware they had for the longest time - definitely a cabiny/woodsy decor. Of course everything gets dated but there's still updates to those same themes that can refresh them while still retaining them. I've never been of the mind that refurbs should just freshen what existed but never thought Disney would go so Holiday Inn. White subway tile - so bored with the white subway tile, the vinyl floors and the white/offwhite/light gray paint everywhere refurbed. SSR refurb is a deviation from that which was so nice to see.

Given some guests are fans of room theming and others not so much I read a quote regarding the recent refurbishment approach in general at wdw along the lines of “by trying to appeal to everyone, they’ve ended up appealing to no one” which I can kind of relate to.

And these are somehow rich with "theming"?
tjkraz, how did you miss the theming. The first picture is loaded with it, just look on the table and tell me there not Disney coasters. And the second picture surely has a hidden Mickey somewhere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter