SSR vs. AKL

Everybody has their opinion, but mine would be if AKL is what you love, buy AKV. I think they are going to be really popular. As someone who loves and owns exclusively at BWV, I have never had a desire to stay anywhere else. But I do find the AKV interesting. I think you will find a very high demand for them at the 7 month window, as they are truly something that has an appeal all their own. Any other DVC resort has shared appeal, a beautiful room with access to all that WDW has to offer. But the AKV will always have something that the other DVC resorts don't have, and that members can't get access too without a room, the animals on the Savanna. I anticipate that the Savanna view rooms will always be full by the 7 month window.
And they will be worth the extra money, as they will hold their appeal forever.
Heck, if they could tempt me away from BWV for a night or two, they must be something special.

Ahh Man, you caved! It probably makes smart financial sense, SSR is cheaper. With AKL I anticipate that although it will be fairly easy to get a average room at AKL there may be some room catagories/types that will need the home resort advantage. I thinking the rooms in the lodge and GV's (like at all resorts). This similar to BWV with the boardwalk view, std. view and GV's being higher demand and the preferred view lower demand.

I'm really curious to see what the actual plans are for AKV and the point charts.

I'd realy be surprised if it sells out in 2 years. That would be pretty quick for a resort of this rumored size.

SSR has been selling fairly briskly and the resort has been selling for close to 5years. (not positive but 5 is close)

I'd guess AKV will be selling for 3-4 years from the release of points.

No need for any waitlists, I agree.

OP, What about the location of AKV? I know this is real estate 101 but the location seems very poor with AKV. No direct ties to anything? Something to consider.
I think it depends on the variables like number of points, price per point and any specials for other resorts that still have points including SSR. I wouldn't be surprised if it were sold out in 2 years from start of sales but I think it's unlikely to go much beyond 2 years from when it opens. That would it selling out by about the time it is complete. We shall see.

Man, if the AKL sells for 3 or 4 more years, I will probably have to add on by then again anyway. But I might hold out for the DVC on the Moon. :goodvibes

I think it depends on the variables like number of points, price per point and any specials for other resorts that still have points including SSR. I wouldn't be surprised if it were sold out in 2 years from start of sales but I think it's unlikely to go much beyond 2 years from when it opens. That would it selling out by about the time it is complete. We shall see.

We should get a pool going, "Pick the date AKV sells out"

We should get a pool going, "Pick the date AKV sells out"
I'd be in on it but there's only one problem, not hard date. DVC even officially announced VWL was completely sold out a full 6 months prior then formally opened sales again about 6 months later and it took another 6-9 months to sell out. I don't think they were playing games, just misjudged two issues, BCV demand and the speed of sales remaining.

Dean,

Is that because of the popularity of the resort in your mind or will it simply be a product of more members meaning more add on potential?

I know this was discussed before, but I still feel AKV will have the worst location of any DVC Resort including OKW. I know you disagree, but is that only because it will be near a deluxe resort or do you see advantages to that location?

Dean,

Is that because of the popularity of the resort in your mind or will it simply be a product of more members meaning more add on potential?

I know this was discussed before, but I still feel AKV will have the worst location of any DVC Resort including OKW. I know you disagree, but is that only because it will be near a deluxe resort or do you see advantages to that location?
Overall I see AKL as being about the same demand as VWL but less than BCV & BWV. And given that it's the first deluxe location available in quite a while for formal direct sales and that it's the first deluxe location available with a later end date, I think those issues alone will be enough to meet my time table. IF there are any special room types or views, that will add to the issue. If the points per room or price per point is too high, it will lengthen the sales somewhat.

As for the worst location, I think that will vary with the individual. Certainly specials and availability would not seem to support that position. But I think you can find those who feel that way about every single resort on property. I would expect AKV to have it's own followers and frequent guests just like any other DVC and likely more so than OKW & SSR but that's just me. The one difference is size compared to say VWL & BCV. *** for as location, once you can't get there directly by a boat or walking, I don't think it matters much for on property hotels.

Overall I see AKL as being about the same demand as VWL but less than BCV & BWV. And given that it's the first deluxe location available in quite a while for formal direct sales and that it's the first deluxe location available with a later end date, I think those issues alone will be enough to meet my time table. IF there are any special room types or views, that will add to the issue. If the points per room or price per point is too high, it will lengthen the sales somewhat.

As for the worst location, I think that will vary with the individual. Certainly specials and availability would not seem to support that position. But I think you can find those who feel that way about every single resort on property. I would expect AKV to have it's own followers and frequent guests just like any other DVC and likely more so than OKW & SSR but that's just me. The one difference is size compared to say VWL & BCV. *** for as location, once you can't get there directly by a boat or walking, I don't think it matters much for on property hotels.

Thank you and for the record this is one predicition I'd love to be wrong about. I'd love to see a 2 year sell out.

Time will tell.

Thank you and for the record this is one predicition I'd love to be wrong about. I'd love to see a 2 year sell out.

Time will tell.
You just want another one after that I bet. LOL

And given that it's the first deluxe location available in quite a while for formal direct sales and that it's the first deluxe location available with a later end date, I think those issues alone will be enough to meet my time table.

I think that AKV has the potential to be very desirable if Disney continues to develop AK (and I do believe that development/expansion of AK is in the works before the LONG overdue revamping/expansion of EPCOT/MGM)

However, I disagree that it is a "deluxe location". I'm seriously considering an add-on, but I have to say that on the bus ride from VWL to AK a few weeks ago, I did turn to DH and say "whoa - AK is really way-the-heck out there, isn't it?"

MK/EPCOT/MGM/DTD and the water parks are all in the same general area. AK is out there. I think the loaction is drawback, not a selling point. I'd say it is the least deluxe location DVC has offered. It certianly won't be convenient to park-hopping, DTD, or water parks.

However, I disagree that it is a "deluxe location". I'm seriously considering an add-on, but I have to say that on the bus ride from VWL to AK a few weeks ago, I did turn to DH and say "whoa - AK is really way-the-heck out there, isn't it?"

MK/EPCOT/MGM/DTD and the water parks are all in the same general area. AK is out there. I think the loaction is drawback, not a selling point. I'd say it is the least deluxe location DVC has offered. It certianly won't be convenient to park-hopping, DTD, or water parks.
I was using the term deluxe in regards to hotel not actually physical location. However, I think the same could be said for VWL as well. Close to one resort but hard to get to others from there but maybe to a lessor degree. It is closer to one water park and to Wide World of Sports. Just remember my prediction in a couple of years.

Just remember my prediction in a couple of years.

BTW - ITA with your prediction. I also think we'll see a Beastly Kingdom announced and the emergence of AK as an all-day (and evening) park & further development of that end of the Disney property.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter