Stage two of the gondola system will go from animal kingdom Kidani to Saratoga Springs

the_grinch

Mouseketeer
I recently was listening to a podcast by Jim Hill episode 177. He says he has information that the gondola system will extend from Kidani Village all the way to Saratoga Springs. He also says that the gondola systems will be air condition and other interesting facts about the gondola system. You should take a listen to it quite informative. My question is if this is correct what do you think it will do to the value of the animal kingdom DVC and Saratoga DVC. Could that be why Disney is buying resale contracts to get the price over 100 per point because they know the system is coming on line

That would be a great addition to AKV, whether that increases it's value will depend on the reliability of the gondolas.

DVD is buying contracts because they don't have much to sell. They set their own direct price.

:earsboy: Bill

Given that the initial gondola isn't AC I have extreme doubts they will do another that is.

Cross compatibility of carriages becomes an issue.

Jim's information is being discussed in a thread in the Rumor and News forum. Many people, including me, doubt the accuracy of everything he said. To get the most current info on the Skyliner, check out Disney Skyliner thread in that forum

Last edited:
Given that the initial gondola isn't AC I have extreme doubts they will do another that is.

Cross compatibility of carriages becomes an issue.

I don’t want to debate AC, do you have a link of Disney outlining cabin specs? Jim Hill sounds very logical.

Do you have to sign a release to use the sky liner? Or is Disney willing to pay millions when lightening kills a family or two.

WHile there are already Monorail Right of Ways built into SSR and OKW, and even if they could be converted to gondola right of ways...what is in it for Disney? The transportation costs are paid by DVC Dues at those resorts. There is no real advantage to DIsney replacing busses with gondolas at DVC resorts.

Do you have to sign a release to use the sky liner? Or is Disney willing to pay millions when lightening kills a family or two.

And how many people have been killed in gondolas from lightening? The ones that run up mountains - ie, high points? My guess - zero. The danger point would be once you've walked out of the station not in the cars themselves as it is walking around in a thunderstorm. At least that's how I would understand grounding and conductivity.

I don’t want to debate AC, do you have a link of Disney outlining cabin specs? Jim Hill sounds very logical.

Disney has not outlined cabin specs. However, it is known that they purchased CWA Omega IV 10 passenger D-Line model with extra ventilation and reflective windows. See https://liftblog.com/2018/07/21/disney-skyliner-july-update/ for a picture. These are a "stock" Doppelmayr product with limited customization, which allows for easy replacement as needed. They also detach from the cable, allowing for maintenance or increased/decreased capacity.

Even with allowance for doing full transfer between lines at hub stations, it's not efficient to have different equipment on each line. On a gondola system, all electricity has to be carried (via solar or battery) on the gondola itself; there is no other source of power. The D line units from Doppelmayr do not have AC.

WHile there are already Monorail Right of Ways built into SSR and OKW, and even if they could be converted to gondola right of ways...what is in it for Disney? The transportation costs are paid by DVC Dues at those resorts.

Ha! I think you just answered your own question... we get to foot the bill for some great marketing material for WDW in general. Genius :)

And how many people have been killed in gondolas from lightening? The ones that run up mountains - ie, high points? My guess - zero. The danger point would be once you've walked out of the station not in the cars themselves as it is walking around in a thunderstorm. At least that's how I would understand grounding and conductivity.
5 people a year died from lightning in Florida. Also FL is number one on dead by lightning in the USA, don’t know if a gondola will make any difference but to be honest between those estatistics and the daily showers I can see these gondolas not running at least once daily.

5 people a year died from lightning in Florida. Also FL is number one on dead by lightning in the USA, don’t know if a gondola will make any difference but to be honest between those estatistics and the daily showers I can see these gondolas not running at least once daily.

I referenced in a gondola.

Lightening causes deaths, that is not in dispute.

Ha! I think you just answered your own question... we get to foot the bill for some great marketing material for WDW in general. Genius :)
Yes, but, for Disney to expand it to SSR or OKW, remember DISNEY also owns points in those resorts. so they would be paying part, too. And without a lot of increased revenues possible, as the resorts are pretty much usually fully booked anyway, even though SSR is usually last to fill, there really isn't anything in it for Disney. They won't be saving a huge amount over the busses there is no driving reason to extend to SSR...

Last edited:
There is more lightening in Florida than anywhere else. No so much in the mountains on ski slopes.
Just beware and use your common since, even though it's not so common any more.

Disney has not outlined cabin specs. However, it is known that they purchased CWA Omega IV 10 passenger D-Line model with extra ventilation and reflective windows. See https://liftblog.com/2018/07/21/disney-skyliner-july-update/ for a picture. These are a "stock" Doppelmayr product with limited customization, which allows for easy replacement as needed. They also detach from the cable, allowing for maintenance or increased/decreased capacity.

Even with allowance for doing full transfer between lines at hub stations, it's not efficient to have different equipment on each line. On a gondola system, all electricity has to be carried (via solar or battery) on the gondola itself; there is no other source of power. The D line units from Doppelmayr do not have AC.

Reflective windows and vents doesn't translate into no AC. I thought Jim Hill outlining the design process was interesting.
It’s nice to hear Disney has looked into all the issues related to transportation and incorporated user friendly features. Floor level loading/unloading will be great for strollers and scooters.
Don’t be surprised if Disney has features beyond standard options. Disney will use the comfort and efficiency of the gondolas to increase connecting resort rates.

You say Disney has released the cabin specs and it’s a standard model? I’ve found anything is possible and doable if your willing to pay for it.

You say Disney has released the cabin specs and it’s a standard model? I’ve found anything is possible and doable if your willing to pay for it.

Doppelmayr's AC units are not in the series being used as either cable or carriage. The units being delivered are definitely D-Line units, and it's not an easy thing just to slap AC into a gondola. AC must be fully carried and handled at the carriage level - there is no external source of electric power. The type of power output required for AC vs. forced air, in that climate, is a significant (large) battery that requires frequent recharge (and ready access) - especially on the carriages being delivered, which are pretty large.

Pictures available on various blogs do not suggest any modifications to the standard unit type, save a wrap. And wrap is easy - see also advertising done on light rail (and the monorail). 3M has a whole business devoted to transit wrap, and I'm sure they have a competitor or two. (I've just never dealt with a buy using anything save 3M personally.)

Disney have engineered the install, but are using standard equipment. Frankly, everyone should prefer it this way. It eases maintenance, and uses systems with proven performance in tropical conditions. Some things, it really is best not to try to innovate. Large-scale transport systems, it's generally best not to try to be first, or even second. Go with the proven.

WHile there are already Monorail Right of Ways built into SSR and OKW, and even if they could be converted to gondola right of ways...what is in it for Disney? The transportation costs are paid by DVC Dues at those resorts. There is no real advantage to DIsney replacing busses with gondolas at DVC resorts.
So SSR and OKW pay for the gondola which makes it easier on WDW to hire enough bus drivers at value resorts?
(And I’d much rather have an environmental initiative to replace diesel transport with electric, especially if combined with their solar, instead of taking away straws and lids)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!