Star Wars Dark Side Survey (New Package Coming Soon?)

BDK33

Mouseketeer
Not sure if anyone else has mentioned this yet, but I just received a follow up survey to the Star Wars Darkside Half Marathon Weekend. Aside from venting about the merchandise and course congestion I saw an interesting question...

"How interested would you be in a package that would guarantee you Race registration, Resort room, and park tickets."

I have only done 2 races so Im not sure if this is offered now, but this would definitelybe something I was interested if that's the case!

Attachments

• RD.PNG
    RD.PNG
    274.5 KB · Views: 38
It it not offered now. Surveys are usually used to test the waters to see interest in things. I actually might be interested in something like that.

I'm not sure why we received it and I'm not sure how exclusive it was, but my sister and I both received an offer like this prior to registration for Marathon Weekend 2017. We did not take Disney up on the offer because we already had our plans booked for next year to stay off property, but literally any other year and it would have been perfect. I scanned these boards waiting to see if anyone posted about a similar offer and never saw anything.

Edit: The offer arrived via e-mail and was titled "Limited Time Marathon Weekend Opportunity". I would post a picture if I were a little better at editing.

Edit Again: Here is some of the text
5gIw-yAfcKIAz6bsx3YRQDNZRGTjx0U8jC_3A4u8S9YYQNxi1OkdpkOMQxtmAqr1hp999Rexx45um3S-aE5VRzhuCHIApOhSR6ABoeyaHPa2Giw_xsELVWUsHe-QAcTS1SG0TJo=s0-d-e1-ft

Y9bXeFquC1ZWklbBAhUfvU8A47sfGe9_H_atmWNhFyKDftUlFCY8nf7Su073zDO6rk0r0Mp4Bh3CzEeX8Qjh3v_ccHzwYzNTY_TTyPSOJ4IIFA7WqOz7LzwOGNA2XCh-OX0oP0DkIalb8urzlFFRdw=s0-d-e1-ft

R5sueTA7ImwL0aKrJ-qSID_r_dWChYGYGVZxRAARm-4e6mAjcL2YQHJGMZ-WgKM59PxaMSU1CWp8bq5cgox_x5ArXLfvOaiDHMym3GGr5N9dII5tQ_ws8yw3aE3_QNSvf2ClwQUaXX_2_coZAuJODpI=s0-d-e1-ft

3-nights (or more) stay at a DisneyResort Hotel
Choose from over 20 Walt Disney World® Resort Hotels. Includes complimentary transportation throughout the Resort and to all race weekend events.

3 night minimum required for travel between 1/1/17 - 1/15/17, for up to 3 rooms

2-day (or more) Theme Park Ticket for every Guest in the room
Customize your theme park tickets to include additional elements such as the Park Hopper option.

Exclusive: Reserved registration space in the 2017 Walt DisneyWorld® Marathon Weekend
Secure spots for your entire travel party with ease before registration opens to the public. Purchase up to 2 registrations (race or challenge) for each Guest booked in the room.

Last edited:
Right now they offer packages but it is after registration. I booked last years Wine and Dine room through runDisney and tickets as well. We saved quiet a bit over all. I would do it every time if I could book further out and be guaranteed the spot before regular registration.

They also don't advertise it but you can buy trip insurance with the runDisney packages that also include your bib. So in the event you cancel you get everything less the cost of trip insurance back.

I'm not sure why we received it and I'm not sure how exclusive it was, but my sister and I both received an offer like this prior to registration for Marathon Weekend 2017. We did not take Disney up on the offer because we already had our plans booked for next year to stay off property, but literally any other year and it would have been perfect. I scanned these boards waiting to see if anyone posted about a similar offer and never saw anything.

Was it offered before general registration? I wonder how it would work. I feel this would be a big win!

*Now if they could only figure out how to give us the option to pre-order all merchandise we would be set!

Was it offered before general registration? I wonder how it would work. I feel this would be a big win!

*Now if they could only figure out how to give us the option to pre-order all merchandise we would be set!

Yes, I received the offer on April 13th and it had to be booked by the 22nd; we are not DVC or Passholders so we waited til regular registration on the 26th to register. It said the number of spaces under the offer were limited.

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned this yet, but I just received a follow up survey to the Star Wars Darkside Half Marathon Weekend. Aside from venting about the merchandise and course congestion I saw an interesting question...

"How interested would you be in a package that would guarantee you Race registration, Resort room, and park tickets."

I have only done 2 races so Im not sure if this is offered now, but this would definitelybe something I was interested if that's the case!

I saw that, but answered no for interest. Currently an Annual Passholder so the park ticket would be an unnecessary expense. Even without that, I'd be willing to bet that theses "special" packages will be undiscounted so I'll take my chances with registration and always have travel agents as a fall back option if I'm willing to pay the package extra for a bib.

I received the same email to advance register for Marathon Weekend - I didn't book because I already had a DVC reservation rented and am an AP holder, but would probably consider it for 2018 if it makes sense for me cost-wise, and as long as the ticket is transferrable.

I think Disney is doing this to take some business back from TAs who have really struggled of late to sell bibs.

Get Sports sent an email prior to Marathon Weekend registration that they had made the business decision to not offer WDW Marathon packages, and the ambiguous wording made it sound like they'd only be dealing in Disneyland races going forward.

I think Disney is doing this to take some business back from TAs who have really struggled of late to sell bibs.

They are now requiring the TAs to sell both rooms AND tickets with their initial offering of bibs, which means they all lose their AP clients. We used Acclaim (love Jim and Pat!) before we became APs, and they are losing a lot of business because of it. Now Disney is offering packages direct that may include discounts not available to the TAs (time will tell). They could be pushing them out altogether. The guaranteed registration is why we used Acclaim for our first couple races.

In related news, the half-marathon just sold out. That took a while for a 20th anniversary event. Dopey, Goofy, and the marathon are still available.

I would definitely get on board with some kind of advance purchase package if it were offered, and the price was reasonable. Sure would take the stress out of registration day.

I would definitely get on board with some kind of advance purchase package if it were offered, and the price was reasonable. Sure would take the stress out of registration day.

The thing is, the travel agents have already been offering this for a while. The survey could be fishing for solid numbers to justify the new requirements.

Seems like a great idea for those who are stressed about registration and are good with staying on-site (and needing park passes). As a marathon only guy, it would only appeal to me if there were savings above and beyond the packages that Disney normally offers.

For those of you who received this years link 1) Had you run Marathon weekend in the past? Or did you sign up for notifications on the rundisney site and 2) Did you click on the link to see the prices? Did they seem like decent discounts?

For those of you who received this years link 1) Had you run Marathon weekend in the past? Or did you sign up for notifications on the rundisney site and 2) Did you click on the link to see the prices? Did they seem like decent discounts?

I've run the Dopey each of the last three years as has my sister. We had another member of our group who did not receive the offer who ran the 5K and 10K for each of the last two years. I'm not sure if the offer was just sent to Dopey participants or what the criteria were. There was a number to call and an offer code included in order to get the offer; however, neither of us inquired about the packages they were offering because our plans were already made for 2017. We were both intrigued by the offer and certainly would have called if we didn't have plans yet, but were also a little skeptical of how much of an "opportunity" it was and whether it would turn out mainly to be an opportunity to overpay to guarantee registration.

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned this yet, but I just received a follow up survey to the Star Wars Darkside Half Marathon Weekend. Aside from venting about the merchandise and course congestion...

Are they sending this out to everyone - the survery? I see I got a "thanks for participating" email, but I would sure like to give my 2 cents on the matter, especially after taking my Dooney out of the bag last night and noticing the hang tag printing is pretty sloppy...

This would result in everyone participating paying even more than they are currently to guarantee a bib.

I get that folks experience anxiety around registration day so let's think about this in another way. If they offered a package that would allow guaranteed registration for any/all races to anyone on the reservation for an up-charge of something like $300 per room required, it could make sense for parties with multiple racers staying in the same room. It makes less zero sense for people with DVC. Since you can use the tickets later to offset the costs of an AP renewal, having an AP might not be a deal breaker.

I wonder if they are going to offer a package price since next years Dark Side run is the week after Easter. If you wanted to stay a few days before the run you will be paying high holiday week prices.

Are they sending this out to everyone - the survery? I see I got a "thanks for participating" email, but I would sure like to give my 2 cents on the matter, especially after taking my Dooney out of the bag last night and noticing the hang tag printing is pretty sloppy...

I got that Thank for participating email and then this one came a few weeks later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter