State of the World, part 6,973...

C

Captain Crook

With all the looniness that's been going on, I never related the specific experiences of my last WDW visit (10/18-21).

First, "One Man's Dream" IMO is fantastic. We spent well over an hour in there and need to go back. Even my kids enjoyed this immensely (of course they're the kids of a 'Disney geek', right Baron?). The CM's were pleasant & knowledgeable and seemed to revel in "Walt". Gcurling reported that there is a "Hallmark" sponsorship sign, but I never even noticed it.

The interactive kiosks too are fun. We purchased the interactive pins & enjoyed the fun that they provided on the rides, at the kiosks and during parades.

Next the big ugly hat...Just kidding. I know most of you don't like it, but I do. It is very colorful & whimsical & much better looking IMO, since the green barricades are down. Again, IMO, it very definately signals a coming change to the facade of the Chinese Theatre, so regarding the hat...I think you'd better get used to it!

AK was VERY busy every day we were there. Don't know why, but aside from MK, this is easily the busiest Park.

The new Playhouse Disney show is much more fun than Bear in the Big Blue House (even though Bear is by far the largest part of the show). My 8 year old still sang & danced and it was a wonderful sight for a father in these trying times. I do belive that (on average) 8 or 9 will be about the maximum age for real enjoyment - although my 12 year old knew all the words (from watching with sis) and sang right along!

Test Track FP is gone for the rest of the year. They are updating the system. So on busier weekends, you may want to prioritize TT. JIYI is closed for rehab (yahoo).

Security was very prevelent and from CM's I talked to (a lot more prevelent than meets the eye). We had to wait for bag serches, and I made it a point to thank every security guard I saw for their help. They seemed appreciative.

AKL was great (again). It is darn near an attraction by itself.

We saw all the parades. The kids did not like the change to (what is now) ToD, I didn't mind them. We all liked the new parade at MK, thought MGM parade was ok & we all thought the AK parade was the best. Very lively & colorful.

Thanks to the moderators for allowing us to share some rather unrelated thoughts, but to be safe, I will tie this in to the Rumor/Business Board.: It seems very easy for us to sit back and react to the changes that we read about at the Parks, but after visiting and after reading several other recent visitors reports, it seems obvious that the Magic still comes shining through, particularily the Magic of the CM's. Further, I would guess that perhaps the bark of these reductions is probably worse than the actual bite. Now, I'm not backing off the stance that JJ reiterated on another thread, that as things continually get taken away from us, more & more people will find less Magic at WDW. I do believe this to be true, but I do believe we have a lot of the 'chicken little' mentality around here and after visiting for 4 days I can say, without qualification, that the sky was not falling.
:smooth: :smooth: :bounce: :smooth: :smooth:

Gcurling reported that there is a "Hallmark" sponsorship sign, but I never even noticed it.
Nope, wasn't me. I didn't noitce one either.

And I concur with Captain re:One Man's Dream. Unfortuneately I was with a 3.75 year old the only time I've been to see it. Would have loved to have spent much more time in there.

As for TT & FP. I was told that they are reworking the entire interior queueing area. So, they only have space for one line - the one that enters from the left side of the building. Thus, no FastPass until they are finished.

Captain, glad you had a good trip.

Do they still have the single rider line for TT during this queue redo?

Also, I thought I remember reading something about a light show involving the hat, but have not heard anybody comment on it yet.

Captain,

I'm glad your trip was still Magical.
Your report has eased some of the anxiety about our trip next week, Thank You!
Hopefully I will be jumping back into car #1.

As to the mention of the Hallmark signage, I think it was said that the sign outside of the exhibit has a small presented by "Hallmark" logo on it. I'll look next week and let you know.

Really looking forward to spending some time in that exhibit. Your post leads me to believe that you were allowed to spend as much time viewing the exhibit as you wished. I seem to remember an earlier post reporting that the CM were trying to encourage people to move thru the attraction and not loiter around. Was this not the case? Also, mentioned was a prohibition on photography while in certain areas. Is this also true?

I guess I'll find out soon enough for myself:D :D :D :D :D :D

Flight boarding in 25 hours:p :p :p

The photo restriction is correct. You are told no photos or video tape as you enter. It seems to apply to all three areas of the exhibit. Yes, you are encouraged to move through. It is set up such that once you commit to the next area, you cannot return to the previous. I went with the flow, I knew the little one was getting restless. But, you can easily ignore the CMs and stay as long as you like in area 1 & 2. Don't know if you can watch the movie twice, but perhaps you can.

While we were in "One Man's Dream" There was absolutely no push to get people through (although I suppose I could have been oblivious). Another thing about the movie was Michael Eisner's sincerity & feeling towards Walt & "Disney" in general. After seeing this one would have to concur that Eisner does indeed understand Disney or is a very, very good actor...In which case, perhaps he should star in their next movie!;)

Larworth, now that you mention it, I saw no single line while I was at TT...Perhaps there was just nobody in it. Can someone confirm on this?

As to the light show at the hat, I think the early closings have put a kabosh on that as it is still daylight at closing (an certainly will be with the coming of DST). Perhaps with the Holiday's and the necessary opening for the Osborne lights something at the hat will be done...But again, I don't know.

Thanks Scoop & sorry for the misquote gcurling.

Thanks Jeff for pointing out how utterly wrong I can be! You know I was just talking to my crew chiefs today about how nice it'll be next week when they don't have to start work in the dark...Man, I can't even stay coherent for 6 straight hours...I guess I picked the wrong week to give up drinking!

Test Track -

When we were there a couple of weeks ago, the standby line that was entering the building where the single riders line normally did. The Fastpass line was snaking through the "show" queue. There was no single riders line.

The CM working it told me that the interior queue would be closing and that there would only be one line (standby) until the work was complete.

Perhaps they have figured out a way to have the standby and single riders lines both function. That would be a good thing if they did.

Thanks for the report. I, too, immensely enjoyed "One Man's Dream". We were never given the impression to get through, nor that we couldn't just start over and look again. Then again, it wasn't crowded at all, so maybe that's the case. Yes, I agree, Michael Eisner appeared to be very sincere. I was impressed.
As for TT, the interior line/show was completely closed off. We went through a door next to the single rider door. I did not see a sign for the single rider line. But, it did appear that the line was still there. The door to our left, on the other side of the rope, was open.
We purchased the Magical Moments BIG pins, too. We had a great time waiting for the pins to go off! I think we got the best reaction in Mexico's River of Time ride.

Just wondering if you happend to see the AK parade on Saturday, the 20th?

My Mom (who hasn't been to WDW since it was only MK), and my Step-Father (who has never been) finally gave in and made the trip. They have been looking at my Disney vacation photos for years, and thinking that Jeff and I were just silly for spending that much money for a theme park. For years I've been trying to get them to understand our desire, our need, to go. Not sure how I did it, but I finally convinced them to go and see for themselves, and they took my little brother out of school for 2 days (never would have happend when I was growing up!) and went down with my sister and her husband (also newbies).

They went to AK first, and had'nt been in the park for three hours when a CM approached and asked if they would like to be in the parade. They hesitantly said yes, thinking they would be walking (remember, the only one of them who had even seen a Disney parade at that time, had seen it over 20 years ago, and nightmares of our little local Christmas parade almost took over). Not only did they ride, but they rode on MICKEY'S FLOAT! A great time was had by all; even my 11 year-old brother, who would rather die of embarrasment before being seen in public like that, was caught dancing a little in his seat to the music, and waving to people. Just wondering if you may have been one of those people?

A little Disney Magic planted firmly into each of their hearts, and not only does Mom now understand why we spend the money, she's giving Jeff and I money to renew our APs for Christmas! (I'm saving my "value vs. experience" negativity for another thread, and I'm definitely not sharing it with them right now!)

Glad you had a great trip! I'm looking forward to ours in December, when I'm sure they will have seen the light and refurbished and reopened CoP.......a dream is a wish, you know!
Suzy

Suzy (I guess SJ, if you become a regular;) )...I did, in fact, see that parade and we were very jealous to have not been in it!

I'm sure you'll have loads of fun, even if CoP remains closed...Although I do worry a little about Jeff (just a joke:D )...

Don't worry about Jeff. Even though Disney keeps throwing us curve balls, he's one big guy that knows how to have fun, and is pretty good at making sure everyone around him is having fun too. I wouldn't dream of ever going without him again. Someone has to keep up with that color coded list of PS confirmation numbers!;)
Suzy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter