• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

staying off-site without a car

chowells

Earning My Ears
October 2001, saw us staying at ASmovies, without a car, which proved very successful.
Now starting to think of our next visit sometime next year. Thinking about staying off-site then, but not sure how easy that is without a car ( neither of us fancy driving).
Seen lots of hotels that advertise free shuttle services to the parks, are these convenient or limited with regards times and frequencies. Any advice will be of value.

Well, I've never stayed at a hotel that has free shuttles so can't comment. You can arrange your own 'transfers' to parks with someone like Mears which are about $12 return pp. But if there is a group of you, it can be cheaper to take cabs.

The only area I'd stay offsite is without doubt I-Drive. Lots and lots of cheap resturants (compared to offsite) and bars in walking distance or a short hop on the trolley bus.

You can also catch the Lynx bus which goes to the TTC on WDW. This is only $1 a person each way so is dead cheap, but obviously has it's limitations. When we stayed on I-drive, often we would catch the Lynx bus to WDW, then go to DD on the way home and catch a taxi back (about $20-25 after tip)

Penny :)

We stayed at the Best Western Plaza on I-Drive last November.

They offered free transport to US, Seaworld and Disney. We found the transportation fine although for shorter journeys (US) they tended to really pack the mini bus full. They had a full size bus to Disney which dropped you off at the Disney Transportation Centre and then you just used Disney's own busses to get from park to park. You also had to get picked up from the transportation centre.

They did approx 4 drop offs and 4 pick ups per day and it worked very well for us.

Also, you always had the option to get a taxi or bus if you wanted to go home at a different time.

Ive done this twice and wouldnt have a problem doing it again. The first time was at the Quaility Inn Int which did a shuttle bus service for about $10 return and the last time was at the Shereton Lake Side and I think their transport was free to Disney but you had to pay to get tp places like Sea World. The Shereton was the best really, both for transport and the hotel itself. The buses were frequant and on time, the onlything I would say is that you are less likely to have afternoon rests if you stay off-site as you dont seem to return on the eveninggs so I would suggest that you take your rest breaks at one of the waterparks, just soaking up the sun.

Any q's please ask.

Emma

We have stayed off site on three occasions and always without a car and always without any difficulties.
We stayed at the Comfort Inn at Lake Buena Vista twice. there were freguent free shuttles to and from the main parks and to Downtown Disney. It was also in walking distance of the Crossroads shopping area which has many places to eat as well as Pirate cove golf!
On our last trip we stayed on I drive. Again the hotel offered free shuttles to disney but was in walking distance of Wet and Wild and US and IOA. The I ride was convenient for Seaworld and all of the various shopping places and restaurants. There is also the Lynx bus system.
When we go again we would choose I Drive for sure.

Karen

I would always prefer to rent a car, but I like the independance it provides. If I was to go without a car I would definatetly prefer the I-Drive area, not so much for getting to the Disney parks as IMHO many of the hotels offer shuttles, it is the ease of getting to SW,US and IOA coupled with the large numbers of restaurants that are in walking distance. The hotels along the 192 just can't compete with the ease of eating along I-Drive, JMHO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter