still confused on radios for ship

AnnMorin

<font color=babyblue>I HATE SNOW!!!<br><font color
Should I get GMRS or FRS? Or one that is a combo of both. On the combo ones it says 8GMRS channels and 14 FRS channels. How would I know which channel was which type and which is better? Would I need the license if I got the combo if I only used the FRS? Do you need five mile or is two ok?

AnnMorin

The 5-mile range radios are the GMRS and the 2-mile range radios are the FRS. I liked the flexability of the GMRS radios due to the extra features (like scanning and vibra-alert), extra channels, and increased range. On our last cruise, DW and DD were on the beach at CC while other DD and I were in the theater on the Wonder. We heard each other fine.

The GMRS radios require you to get an FCC license ;) ;) but only if you plan on using certain channels. Being a good citizen, I had all the paperwork sent to me but to tell you the truth, I don't use them enough to spend that kind of money for a license.

That said and all things being equal, decide how often you will use them and what kind of features you want. It is much easier to find a free channel on a radio with more channels (comes in real handy at WDW when everybody has radios). If price is an issue, you are better off with the 2-mile radios. Motorola, Uniden, and Cobra all make good models. I like the Motorola name (I'm a fireman and use them all the time) so that is what I have.

Good luck,

Mike

Ann,
Ours are the 2 mile range ones with vibra alert etc. They worked just fine both on the ship (although there were times it was staticky) and on CC. I think these would be sufficient for what you need them for. You do NOT need an FCC license for these! We stayed within one or two channels the entire time...if that helps any. Again, we have the Motorola (I agree with Mike, these are best) T6320's.

Lisa

PS. we are booking for May 2004 and doing a vow renewal, any chance you all can book then too?:)

Hi Ann.

Do you need five mile or is two ok?

I got the 5-mile GMRS. They worked great onboard ship. Took them on shore excursions but we were never really separated far enough to need them. "Buckaroo" also enjoyed communicating with Daddy while he "slept" in the upper bunk - and I was in the lower. I also took it with me into the bathroom. Flushed the toilet while whispering to the dear lad. He laughed and called out, "Daddy. THAT'S gross!" lol (And he's right)...

Hi Ann.

I got the 5-mile GMRS. They worked great onboard ship. Took them on shore excursions but we were never really separated far enough to need them. "Buckaroo" also enjoyed communicating with Daddy while he "slept" in the upper bunk - and I was in the lower. I also took it with me into the bathroom. Flushed the toilet while whispering to the dear lad. He laughed and called out, "Daddy. THAT'S gross!" lol (And he's right)...

Originally posted by Buckaroo's Dad
Hi Ann.

be careful BD..
814.gif

Ok I found these ones that seem to be pretty good, they are a combo of FRS and GMRS 22 channel with subchannels and a two mile range, the price is only around $30.00 of course batteries and charge will run about 45.00 more.... If I got them and used the FRS channels would I need a license? I don't want to break any laws but I will not use them except for the cruise and see no need for a license...
Lisa... maybe ,, let me see what our schedule looks like when in May are you thinking? Eastern or Western?

Ann, May 8th...Western is what we are looking at right now. Hoping to be able to break everyone away from jobs and school then, but after the year I have just had...it WILL happen!:)

Lisa

I can't talk to Jay about the next one until we are on this one... but it may be possible... if it does not hit at the same time as Mike MCAST tests. Those are in the spring and he can' t miss them.

Hi Ann!

You're good as to what you're getting, and unless you intend to use them lots around the neighborhood back home, which you sawrote it's for the cruise, I wouldn't worry too much on the licence thing.

I will give some advice, however. :)

Get at least alkaline or preferably the more expensive photo lithium batteries and you'll only need those for the entire trip and then some.

I'd also set them up long before going and practice making setting changes as you might need to make a channel change once you're aboard if need be. Better to learn how now than onboard :)

Originally posted by lsmac
Ann, May 8th...Western is what we are looking at right now. Hoping to be able to break everyone away from jobs and school then, but after the year I have just had...it WILL happen!:)

Lisa

Good luck, that is when we are cruising too!

Hi Mark, I do have NiMH batteries that are rechargeable for other items, ( I have the AA and AAA ) so I thought that would be ok, have the charger etc. Just not sure which channel to use on the ship as I want to set it forget it with DS. We can practice at the cape this summer or around our neighborhood but there won't be lots of folks like the cruise.

Oh, ok, NiMH's are fine for batts, no worries for dead ones there :) You can probably set and forget them (I have, twice now, we have the Disney ones), but it's good to know how *just in case* you happen to have the exact same settings as someone else aboard :)

Aprilgail2: who's sailing with you? It will be me, dh and ds who will be 14 on the cruise.

Ann: I know how it is with the tests etc., we are hoping that being the beginning of May and school almost being done, all tests etc will be finished. Especially since Ryan starts at a new school this year. We'll have to talk more after the December cruise so we can work on Jay a bit...:) It'd be so much more fun with you all along too!

Lisa

Should I get GMRS or FRS? Or one that is a combo of both. On the combo ones it says 8GMRS channels and 14 FRS channels. How would I know which channel was which type and which is better? Would I need the license if I got the combo if I only used the FRS? Do you need five mile or is two ok?

Hi, folks! :wave:

I am a radio-geek (just ask WillowWind), and I am a licensed amateur radio operator, as well as holder of a GMRS license. I have read in depth the FCC regulations for the FRS (family radio service), GMRS (general mobile radio service), Amateur radio service, so I can give some technical clarification.

First, the FCC requires that you have the captain's permission to use these radios on a ship or airplane if the vessel is in American waters or in international waters as long as the ship has an American registry.

Second, if you want to use the GMRS frequencies, you should get yourself a GMRS license. It's $75 for 5 years and covers everyone in your immediate family (you, spouse, kids, parents, siblings). THere is no test, just a form and a fee. I licenced with the idea that the kids and their mom could use the radios when they're out and about in the neighborhood. small price to pay for peace of mind.

Third, the range as listed in miles is under IDEAL circumstances. THat means, clear line-of-sight, outside of buildings. Useful range in the neighborhood/theme park/ship will be much less.

The listed range is associated with the amount of transmission power of the radios. The FRS are 1/2 watt of transmission power, while most commonly available GMRS radios are 4 or 5 watts. There are more expensive, specialty radios that may have as much as 50 watts, but those are not easily available, nor inexpensive.

Some problems with the FRS radios are that the frequencies tend to be rather crowded, particularly in places like theme parks, because there are no licensing requirements. Legal use of the GMRS frequencies can be less so, because of the licensing requirements. That doesn't mean that all of the people using the frequencies are licensed, though. :mad: (side-note: unlicensed use of the GMRS frequencies might get you into legal hot-water, with punishments up to jail time and stiff fines.)

Now, to answer your questions directly:

Should I get GMRS or FRS? Or one that is a combo of both.
That all depends. Are you willing to pay the $75 to get licensed? Would it be worth it for you? Might you be using the radios back home, too? If those answers are YES, I would suggest the GMRS radios.

How would I know which channel was which type and which is better?
Determining which channels are which is generally noted in the instruction pamphlet. My Motorola GMRS have an icon on the display that changes based on which service (FRS/GMRS) the selected vhannel is in. Deciding which channel set is "better" is really depending on what you want. GMRS are stronger, but more expensive. FRS are much weaker, but less expensive. You get what you pay for.

Would I need the license if I got the combo if I only used the FRS?
No. But, you would have to pay close attention to make sure that you're legal.

Again, it all depends on what you're going to be using them for. As a point of reference, our FRS radios only reached about 1/2 miles from our home when I measured, last summer.

Hope you all made it this far! If I can be of further help, please let me know!

Grumpy :jester:

Thank you for all your expertise grumpy!
This is what I plan on using them for. Only on the ship ( I need to ask the captain's permission? How would I go about doing that) and maybe at cape cod back and forth from the beach to our cottage. (a half a mile) The radios I am thinking of are a combo but I don't know how I would be able to tell if it was FRS or GRMS channel, it just said 8 GMRS/14FRS ib tge description. They are the Eco-terra TR640-2 from Uniden.

Glad I could help, Ann! I hope I didn't bore you too badly. ;) I have a tendancy to do that when I get rolling.

Anyway, as far as getting Captain's permission, I'd think that you could just ask the Guest Relations people. They should be able to help. Granted, I am 99% certain that most people who use them onboard don't ask, I'm of the opinion that, since that's what the rules state, you should follow them (YMMV, of course).

I'm not familiar with the Uniden radios, myself, as I have Motorolas. On those, the GMRS frequencies are a solid radio icon on the display, while the FRS ones are an outline. This visual queue helps.

I was not able to find out if there is anything like this for the Uniden radios you're looking at, unfortunately. Sorry. :(

If you have a clear shot from your cottage to the beach, you should be fine with the FRS radios. One thing that I like about the Unidens that you're looking at, though, is the Weather Radio built-in. But, I'm a geek. ;) Click here for more info on National Weather Service Weather Radio

One thing to remember with GMRS is that there is a legal requirement to identify yourself by FCC-assigned callsign at the end of a series of communications or every 10 minutes that you are transmitting, which ever comes first. If your kids are able to remember their phone number, they will probably be able to remember your family callsign, and how to ID. (Ours is "WPWZ768" as an example)

Hope this helps clarify things! And, like I said, the FRS should most likley be enough if you are pretty close, even onboard ship. If I can help more, again, let me know!

~G

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter