Storing walker somewhere in Disney?

erikjscott

Earning My Ears
My mother is going to use an ECV at the parks. We are looking into some sort of attachment for the walker to fit on the back of the ECV chair (Buena Vista seems to have one, but no one else does, and she's more comfortable with a 4 wheel ECV, which Buena Vista doesn't have listed on their website). Anyway, we are reading mixed things on whether the walker attachment is even allowed in Disney (anyone know?).

Our question is, if we bring the walker with us to the parks, is there an area to store the walker during the day? The lockers are obviously too small. My mom wants my dad to drive the ECV onto the bus, and she'll use the walker to get to her seat. She can't walk more than 15 steps with the walker before needing to sit down, so it doesn't work for her for the entire day.

Your own bungee cords may work to attach the walker to the scooter.

Also, could you get by if someone was on each side of your mom when she would need to walk? Someone supporting her on her left and someone supporting her on the right?

You could use a gait belt perhaps.

To get on and off the rides can be tough. Make sure someone is in front of her and someone is behind her helping out.

Not helpful with where to store one, but has your mom ever used a rollator? It's a walker with wheels and a seat. This won't replace the EVC at disney. But maybe just something that might help her in everyday life.

Before my DH needed help, I had no idea what items are out there to help in everyday life.

Last edited:
I haven't read a single poster having stability issues with scooters with 3 wheels vs 4. I'm talking about the Pride Victory (or equivalent) scooters typically rented. Almost all bus drivers will maneuver the scooter on to the bus with your Mom staying on the scooter.

My mother is going to use an ECV at the parks. We are looking into some sort of attachment for the walker to fit on the back of the ECV chair (Buena Vista seems to have one, but no one else does, and she's more comfortable with a 4 wheel ECV, which Buena Vista doesn't have listed on their website). Anyway, we are reading mixed things on whether the walker attachment is even allowed in Disney (anyone know?).

Our question is, if we bring the walker with us to the parks, is there an area to store the walker during the day? The lockers are obviously too small. My mom wants my dad to drive the ECV onto the bus, and she'll use the walker to get to her seat. She can't walk more than 15 steps with the walker before needing to sit down, so it doesn't work for her for the entire day.

One question from me ---- are you going to need the walker in the park too? There is often at least a little walking to get onto an actual ride or to a seat in a restaurant. You may want the walker for some of those moments. I am starting to think we may need to bring my mother's rollator (in addition to renting a scooter) to use in the parks for some of the times she has to stand or walk a little further. If that happens, I will probably either try to bungee cord it to the scooter or will end up pushing it around all day (kind of like I did in the airports last year).

One question from me ---- are you going to need the walker in the park too? There is often at least a little walking to get onto an actual ride or to a seat in a restaurant. You may want the walker for some of those moments. I am starting to think we may need to bring my mother's rollator (in addition to renting a scooter) to use in the parks for some of the times she has to stand or walk a little further. If that happens, I will probably either try to bungee cord it to the scooter or will end up pushing it around all day (kind of like I did in the airports last year).
If you do bring the rollator and figure out a way to bungee it to the scooter, would you please post directions on how you did it? I often think it would be such a help if I had my rollator at WDW, but I can't figure out how to attach it. Last trip, I brought 2 canes and was able to put them both, even folded, in the cane holder. But there were times when the rollator would have been preferable.

If you do bring the rollator and figure out a way to bungee it to the scooter, would you please post directions on how you did it? I often think it would be such a help if I had my rollator at WDW, but I can't figure out how to attach it. Last trip, I brought 2 canes and was able to put them both, even folded, in the cane holder. But there were times when the rollator would have been preferable.

Regarding Rollators, most of them do fold, but often in such a way that it would be difficult to attach it to the back of the scooter, even with the very best bungee cords Amazon could sell you.

Additionally, Rollators tend to be much heavier than a standard walker; walkers average about 7 pounds, where an average "granny-style" Rollator will be at least 16 pounds, possibly more. Walkers fold very flat, and Rollators often fold in such a way that a basket, or wheels may protrude when folded; additionally, because they are heavier, it might be much more difficult for a solo traveler to attach it to the back of the seat.

Having said *all* that...

Please see these as possible helpful solutions (no recommendation, just information). You will need to do your own math as to what will fit, and if these will be able to fit the back of your preferred scooter or wheelchair solution.

- Wheelchair Footrest Bag
- Large Carry & Travel Bag for Rollator Walkers & Transport Chairs
- Travel Bag for Rollator Walker

If all else fails, remember that you can (nicely) ask the wheelchair/scooter rental counter Cast Members if you can leave your device with them. While they are not obligated to allow it, anecdotally we hear that they do help Guests with this regularly.

As far as 3 wheels vs 4. To us 3 wheels seems better and safer. You have a better turning radius and the front wheel has little chance on getting caught up on something like the front of 4 wheels. 4 wheel may offer a tiny bit more stability from rolling over sideways, but it’s likely not by much and the main instability concern is going over forward or backward (which a slow speed is going to help prevent any of those).

The walker holders never work well, we just use two bungee cords, one to stop the walker from opening and one to hold the walker on by using a bungee cord on the supports of the headrest.

Buena Vista seems to have one, but no one else does, and she's more comfortable with a 4 wheel ECV, which Buena Vista doesn't have listed on their website).
Gold Mobility has a walker holder listed a one of the free accessories you can choose with an ECV rental.

I have a walker (silver color with two wheels on front - the kind you put tennis balls on the back so it can roll better) and a rollator - the rollator is HEAVY and has 4 wheels. The walker is light as a feather. Some people call both things a walker. I can see possibly attaching my lightweight walker to the back not the rollator is way too heavy.

With the new style bus - any back attachment might have to come off to board. Just keep that in mind, cause you'd want to be prepared to take it off.

I also strongly advise against a 4 wheel ECV as they are SO much more difficult to maneuver in the lines and on the bus - getting into an elevator or into your room - really everywhere. I was accidentally given one for a day and now I know at least one reason why ECV drivers seem like they can't drive at all - that dumb thing was awful and I would get stuck in the lines trying to turn a corner, etc. The turning radius is terrible compared to a 3 wheel. Backing it up into a bus spot (old style bus) is impossible lol. It was replaced the next day but I never want to do that again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter