Strategies for slowin’ it DOWN

Take it from a senior who does it slow every year. 1st thing, get rid of the fast passes for a couple of days. You said it not me, the amount of rides isn't important. Next, stay in bed till your eyes open up-don't use an alarm clock, courtesy call-nothing. When you wake up, you get up. Have a nice breakfast at the hotel. Then you can go to a park. If it is MK, walk in, head straight to the porch chairs and enjoy the view. This is a great time for the first mickey ice cream bar of the day. Next, walk through every store on main street. Remember, you don't have to rush off to get to a ride because you are taking it slow and you got rid of those dang FP's. Next, let your desires take you to your next destination in the park. Remember, you are taking it easy and there is no where you have to be, nothing you have to do. That is how my wife and I do it every year and we have the best, most relaxing vacation every year. Don't forget the pool time in the afternoon.
This is great. I think I might just print this out and hang it on my refrigerator:)

I agree with this. Dinner plans and some FPs every day. One of the luxuries of going multiple times is NOT having to fit EVERYTHING in! So I make a dinner ADR, reserve some FPs (and with parkhoppers - they don't even have to be in the same park!). Everything else is all about whatever happens along the way. It's not about seeing or doing everything. It's about enjoying your family as you do whatever you get done. That makes it a family vacation.

Of all my favorite memories of Disney, one of the best is walking into Epcot when dd was about 7 or so. All of a sudden, she stomps on my shadow and says "tag. You're it" To me, Disney was not just about spending time with my dd. It was about spending time with my dd where the only priority was to have some fun. Be silly.

Good luck! Hope you have a great time!
Reading these posts is making me more excited than ever. Your reply made me think about the “stars” in the sidewalk in future world.

Lots of good suggestions here, and I can't really improve much on them. FP+ can be handy if you don't let yourself be governed by them. My DH and I have learned to take it slower as we age, and we will make FP+ for late morning and early afternoon. But if we don't get there on time for a FP+, then we just don't. It's often pretty easy to reschedule a FP+ for later. One thing that has just been touched on here is ADRs. We make very few, partly because we don't want to spend that much money on a meal but mostly because we don't want to be locked into being in a particular park at a particular time. There are some really good counter service restaurants, and you could always see what's available for ADRs in the park you happen to be in.
Yes, we usually just make a couple, but so many pop up that day and we love the freedom of counter service. Thanks! :)

Hi friends, we are planning a 9 day trip this November. It will be DH, 7 yo DD, and myself. We have 9 day park hopper tickets and will be off site. This is our 6th trip in 7 years. We have done the commando-style trip many times. I think I could write my own blog on that, LOL. What I’m looking for this time is how to take it down a notch. Maybe 10 notches. We want to soak it in more, slow down our pace. The amount of things we do this time is not as important. What are YOUR favorite things/ideas/strategies that are off the beaten path? Any tips for an ex-commando on how to slow down the theme park touring?

Thanks! :flower1:

Use the my disney app to find out when the daily entertainment acts are out and seek them out.

Im talking about the citizens of hollywood, dapper dans, marching band, and the various acts in the epcot world showcase etc.

Love watching them and their interactions with the guests.
Its hard to soak them in when running between attractions.

A park that is perfect for skowing down is aninal kingdom. That park was designed with nooks and crannies for you to explore and discover random animal enclosures. Or just observe and apreciaye the amazing detail put into that entire park. Even the bathrooms are amazing.

This seems weird, but for me I slowed down when I started learning the history of the park and the Disney company (the pod casts are a great way to learn). Slowing down and looking for the connections to the past. Knowing that a name on a window has a meaning and a story behind it. Even standing in line becomes more interesting and not a "rush" to get through it.

This seems weird, but for me I slowed down when I started learning the history of the park and the Disney company (the pod casts are a great way to learn). Slowing down and looking for the connections to the past. Knowing that a name on a window has a meaning and a story behind it. Even standing in line becomes more interesting and not a "rush" to get through it.
I agree! I actually just bought that book recommended by @kniquy (the Hidden magic of Wdw)- I can’t wait to dig in!

Give yourself permission to explore! See a path you've never been down? Take it! Explore, in detail, the countries in Epcot. Here's something fun to try... Does your DD have a favorite stuffed animal (that's not too hard to carry)? Make a travelog about the stuffed animal's adventures. Take pictures of it doing funny things in different parks, riding rides, eating ice cream, etc. Then after your trip (or during down time) write a story using the pictures. Better yet, post a trip report here! :)

Some of our favorite things—the trails in AK. Amd talking o the CMs. Hanging out for a long IMO watching the gorillas and other primates.

The street entertainment in Harambe.

In Epcot, the fun games under Spaceship Earth. Plus all the World Showcase stuff. Catching the avoices of a Liberty a couple of times.

In HS, the exhibit that used to be called One Mans Drea. I think there is a new one in the same space.

In MK just waking around noticing the details.

Riding the monorail between MK and Epcot.
Taking the boats.

Renting a surrey bike.

Taking the monorail around the resorts and do a progressive dinner. Appetizer one place. Main one place. Dessert one place.

Getting loungers in the shade at a water park a s spending hours

Spend lots of time in the World Showcase!! There are so many hidden little shops and cute corners that we had never noticed as we raced around in the past. Spend a whole day there and enjoy each separate culture!

For our family we have found that two (full) days in a park and then a day off is the way to go. On the day off we sleep in, and then do something like rent a boat or horse back riding or water park or Spa stuff.

Most of the ADRs and FPs can be gotten the day before or day-of, so you can be flexible with your time. It's really just a handful of restaurants and rides that require a ton of advance planning. We started out like you as well, and I still make a spreadsheet (can't help myself), but I stopped making so many set plans. Less confirmation #s and running around like mad to make it somewhere by a certain time. I was literally in tears our first trip because we were running to make an ADR and I lost a souvenir I'd bought. That's no way to have a relaxing vacation. If you've been there that many times in recent years, then you've seen and done most of the major things the parks have to offer. Now you can take time to appreciate the little details. Enjoy! :cool2:

We are doing ten days next trip.

Two trips ago we started doing midday breaks at the pool. That is a good way to slow down.

With 10 days hoppers, the first few days we will do RD. The last 5 days we will sleep in and hit the park by noon. With each day having a break/pool time.

I have very few must do's in each park. The rest will be just gravy. Doing this will give us time to do more of WS at Epcot, walk the trails at AK, grab some ice cream at The Plaza and people watch.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!