Straw Changes On Cruise

mom2brooke76

Proud Redhead who doesn't think that Universal is
I just got back from a 5 night Double Dip on the Dream and see that the straw post is shut down due to arguments. Please, mod, feel free to lock this one as I just want this to be a source of info.

Right now all of the bars onboard are using paper straws. Straws have been removed from Cabanas and the drink stations on deck 11 entirely. The dining rooms and Castaway are still plastic, but our head server who we are friends with, did let me know that Disney is in the process of switching to all paper straws, but that in the dining room I could request plastic. I'm not sure if he's just being nice saying that or that will be true across the ships. Anyway, just wanted to give a heads up for those getting ready to set sail.

It's slightly different on the Wonder. Deck 9 has straws, but they're all paper. We were only in Cabana's once, and my kids got me my drinks so I didn't get to look there. The bars use paper straws. Dining rooms and room service still use plastic straws.

Wouldn't it be great if they developed a way to make them edible, perhaps flavored to enhance your drink??

Like a hollowed out Twizzler. :D

It's slightly different on the Wonder. Deck 9 has straws, but they're all paper. We were only in Cabana's once, and my kids got me my drinks so I didn't get to look there. The bars use paper straws. Dining rooms and room service still use plastic straws.

Like a hollowed out Twizzler. :D

Yeah, our head server said that they're going to introduce paper straws into all of those areas. Sounds like it will be across the whole fleet eventually.

Never knew about the straws. Thought about you on the cruise and looking forward to hearing all about it, with pictures of course!

We just got off the Fantasy on Saturday. As with the Dream, there were paper straws in the bars, at least the ones on deck 4 and the Bon Voyage bar on deck 3. We had mixology in Meridian and they had plastic straws for the class. I don't know if I'd gone there outside of the class if they would have had paper or plastic.

The drink stations on deck 11 and Cabanas had straws and they were plastic. All straws in the MDRs were plastic, as were the ones on Castaway Cay. After getting paper straws in the adult areas, I was really surprised that the deck 11 drink stations and Castaway Cay still had plastic. I would have thought CC and the pool deck should be the first areas to switch to paper due to the increased environmental risk of those areas.

Glad to see DCL finally coming along with a policy to improve the plastic straw pollution.

We were in Cabo for a non disney vacation last week and they didnt have straws any place we went. They have basically outlawed them there as a step to protect the environment.

I've seen several Kickstarters and articles for edible straws. Things like algae and apple cores. Even flavored ones.

Just popping in to report that the Magic had all plastic straws on last month's EBTA.

I was on that sailing and saw plastic straws for most of the cruise, but at some point I started getting red & white striped paper straws in my drinks. I *think* it was at drinks I got from Preludes (next to Walt Disney Theater). Deck 9 was all plastic.

I was on that sailing and saw plastic straws for most of the cruise, but at some point I started getting red & white striped paper straws in my drinks. I *think* it was at drinks I got from Preludes (next to Walt Disney Theater). Deck 9 was all plastic.

Yes, we encountered lots of red and white paper straws on our cruise.

Just popping in to report that the Magic had all plastic straws on last month's EBTA.

Yes, we encountered lots of red and white paper straws on our cruise.

We never bought anything that might include a straw from Preludes or any of the other bars. The Deck 9 Drink Station and all MDR's had plastic straws the entire duration of our EBTA last month. It would seem that the Magic is probably in the process of using up their plastic supply and will then start using all paper since they're already using paper in Preludes.

We never bought anything that might include a straw from Preludes or any of the other bars. The Deck 9 Drink Station and all MDR's had plastic straws the entire duration of our EBTA last month. It would seem that the Magic is probably in the process of using up their plastic supply and will then start using all paper since they're already using paper in Preludes.

Would agree as they seem to be rolling them out slowly on the Dream and when I asked my head server he confirmed that there were changes coming, but assured me on future sailings that if I wanted or needed a plastic straw he could make it happen. Then again, he sets me up with amazing Boursin cheese plates at dinner, so maybe he's just being nice LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!