Straw Changes On Cruise

It's slightly different on the Wonder. Deck 9 has straws, but they're all paper. We were only in Cabana's once, and my kids got me my drinks so I didn't get to look there. The bars use paper straws. Dining rooms and room service still use plastic straws.

Like a hollowed out Twizzler. :D

The Wonder had paper straws for Alaska. Not sure if they switch them out for other cruises.

This is such great news! We were just on another cruise line and not only did they not have straws but no paper cups either.

Oh no - I am such a germ-a-phobe. I only use paper cups because I know they are clean - I don't trust the glass cups being clean enough for me. I need to up my meds in this environment-friendly atmosphere :)

Oh no - I am such a germ-a-phobe. I only use paper cups because I know they are clean - I don't trust the glass cups being clean enough for me. I need to up my meds in this environment-friendly atmosphere :)

Fellow germ a phobe here. We bring our own Tervis tumblers. I also bring dish soap and clean sponges and we personally wash them every night.

Would agree as they seem to be rolling them out slowly on the Dream and when I asked my head server he confirmed that there were changes coming, but assured me on future sailings that if I wanted or needed a plastic straw he could make it happen. Then again, he sets me up with amazing Boursin cheese plates at dinner, so maybe he's just being nice LOL
That is good to know. I have a child with sensory issues and I'm not sure if he'll be able to handle the paper straws. (He will drink without a straw too but drinks less without and I expect I'll sometimes need him to hydrate better).

That is good to know. I have a child with sensory issues and I'm not sure if he'll be able to handle the paper straws. (He will drink without a straw too but drinks less without and I expect I'll sometimes need him to hydrate better).

If it's something you absolutely have to have, it's always a good idea to pack some to bring with you just in case.

If it's something you absolutely have to have, it's always a good idea to pack some to bring with you just in case.
Oh, I know and I will. But I also know I'll likely forget them in our room at least once. Or might not always have a chance to go back.

I'm on the Wonder right now. We had plastic straws on the pool deck until we entered Alaska, at which point they switched the pool deck straws to paper. In the MDRs, you must ask for a straw if you want one. The MDR straws are plastic, even in Alaska.

I just got back from a 5 night Double Dip on the Dream and see that the straw post is shut down due to arguments. Please, mod, feel free to lock this one as I just want this to be a source of info.

Right now all of the bars onboard are using paper straws. Straws have been removed from Cabanas and the drink stations on deck 11 entirely. The dining rooms and Castaway are still plastic, but our head server who we are friends with, did let me know that Disney is in the process of switching to all paper straws, but that in the dining room I could request plastic. I'm not sure if he's just being nice saying that or that will be true across the ships. Anyway, just wanted to give a heads up for those getting ready to set sail.

Did they have plastic bags at the shops? We no longer have plastic bags at our Disney Outlet and they told us Disney is discontinuing plastic bags.

Did they have plastic bags at the shops? We no longer have plastic bags at our Disney Outlet and they told us Disney is discontinuing plastic bags.

Yes, they did still have plastic bags. From what I was told they're rolling out a new system slowly so I'm guessing it will be shipwide soon. However, I don't see paper bags holding up well for packing.

I will grab a handful of straws from McDonald's (or wherever I can find plastic straws) before our next cruise just in case. The paper ones are disgusting.

I recently discovered these reusable straws from Klean Kanteen [ https://www.kleankanteen.com/collections/accessories/straws ] and got some. We like them so far. Combines the benefits of stainless steel and silicone, and makes it bendable but still easy to clean. Note: suggest getting a better cleaning brush, such as by Camelback.

Still prefer disposable plastic ones for out and about though.

SW

I recently discovered these reusable straws from Klean Kanteen [ https://www.kleankanteen.com/collections/accessories/straws ] and got some. We like them so far. Combines the benefits of stainless steel and silicone, and makes it bendable but still easy to clean. Note: suggest getting a better cleaning brush, such as by Camelback.

Still prefer disposable plastic ones for out and about though.

SW
Just what I want to be doing on my vacation, scrubbing out straws....

Not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter