Straw Changes On Cruise

I like paper straws.... IF they are the heavier versions, which I have had at WDW in a few places lately. Those skimpy old-school paper straws never lasted through one glass of sipping but these new ones are great! So take heart all! :flower3:

I like paper straws.... IF they are the heavier versions, which I have had at WDW in a few places lately. Those skimpy old-school paper straws never lasted through one glass of sipping but these new ones are great! So take heart all! :flower3:
Mmm... yes, I remember my kids using paper straws and getting about halfway through a drink and the top had collapsed into a solid piece. Heck, they were able to somehow get even the plastic ones to collapse, lol!

I was just on the Magic Mediterranean cruise and saw no straws at all up on deck. In the dining room you could request straws and they were the plastic ones.

Which begs the question. Just how DO you scrub out a straw?

If you do it right after you use the straw (i.e. don't let it sit for hours), a quick rinse and scrub with a tiny brush is all that is needed. If you drink a milkshake/smoothie or something and then leave the straw to get all caked up, it might require a soaking in hot soapy water before using the brush. I have a glass straw that came with a brush for cleaning it, and it's no more effort than cleaning my reusable water bottle. Certainly, it's much easier to deal with than the two Camelbaks I cleaned out this weekend that required disassembly, three different brushes, a dissolvable cleaning tablet, and a contraption to hold them open so they could dry completely.

I was just on the Magic Mediterranean cruise and saw no straws at all up on deck. In the dining room you could request straws and they were the plastic ones.
I haven't seen anyone talk about plastic lids but those were also absent on the Magic, we were able to ask for some

We got off the Fantasy last week and it was very difficult to find a straw on deck 11. The only place was by the bar. The MDRs had straws in the kids' drinks. I definitely missed having straws but understand the environmental concerns and impact. I would prefer paper straws over no straws.

I was at a restaurant last night (Mod Pizza) and had no idea the "plastic" straw I was using was eco-friendly! The wrapper says "made from plants" and I am assuming the company is ECO-PRODUCTS. I am glad there is an alternative to those awful paper straws.

Attachments

• 20180615_093109.jpg
    20180615_093109.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 16
There really are great paper straws out there these days folks. I've been in a couple of restaurants lately that had paper straws that were sturdy and lastly very nicely through sipping a beverage over the course of a leisurely dinner. The old school paper straws would not have done this.

There really are great paper straws out there these days folks. I've been in a couple of restaurants lately that had paper straws that were sturdy and lastly very nicely through sipping a beverage over the course of a leisurely dinner. The old school paper straws would not have done this.

I don't know if Disney has changed their supplier but the ones I've had to use in AK in the past lasted just fine. My issue with them was the texture and the flavor they added to what I was drinking. The flavor wasn't real noticeable with soft drinks. They made water taste awful though.

Thanks for the update. I can’t put those paper straws in my mouth (like nails on a chalkboard) and yet need a straw, so now I know to pack a reusable one for my trip.

Same. The paper straws make my blood run cold. I found reusable metal straws at JCPenney and they're really great!

But I'm so thankful Disney is moving away from the plastic straws. It's my understanding that the Disney Stores no longer have plastic bags either.

I don't know if Disney has changed their supplier but the ones I've had to use in AK in the past lasted just fine. My issue with them was the texture and the flavor they added to what I was drinking. The flavor wasn't real noticeable with soft drinks. They made water taste awful though.

Wow. That's weird..... the paper straws I used at Disney's Vero had no taste at all even when drinking water. Obviously there are lots of paper straw options out there. :cutie:

Yes, their paper straws are very thick and sturdy, which raises the concern that they might be an even bigger environmental waste than regular plastic straws...

Hope they have something for people who have tree allergies. I will have to give up all drinking “drink of the day” options. I don’t drink coffee or soda so they we’re a nice option in addition to my standard drink of milk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!