Stroller for 5 yr old

I know this is prob a toss up question, but we have a 5 yr old dd, who is to big to carry and I know she is going to get tired all day in a park, but I'm trying to decide if its absurd to take a stroller to mess with it. What does everyone else do, we don't do rope drops but we are there close to it and prefer not going back to the resort during the day. We have 2 meals planned a day and we do stop for a lunch and snacks mainly for rest.

First of all, TAKE YOUR STROLLER! I took one until my kids were older than that. Of course it was our single, so they mostly shared. I just got back this week, and with our pedometer apps, we walked 8 - 10 miles a day.

Also, is that two sit down meals a day? We only did one our whole week, and most trips average 3 or maybe 4 a trip (depending). Our kids would rather snack or have quick meals than sit down ones. The only one we did was late lunch for DD's birthday at Sci Fi. Most kids would rather not do many sit down meals on vacation - it may be relaxing for adults, but kids have small tummies and then they're ready to move on.

PS: we often do trips where we don't go back and rest either. When our kids were very young, we actually stayed in the parks more so they could nap long in the stroller (they didn't ever nap in the room). So I'd definitely take a very comfortable stroller for a nap!

It's a must for us. We originally brought our cheap umbrella stroller but have found that an umbrella with a little more substantial wheels works better. We pretty much messed up the wheels on the cheap one and the bigger wheels make for easier pushing and riding - my 9 year old even wanted in it some of the time - she didn't care what she looked like :rotfl2:

My son will be almost 6 when we go and my daughter will be almost 4. Both of them are tall for their ages. Originally we were going to bring two cheap single umbrella strollers because we thought that we may want to separate. This is what I decided to do (and, I am a newbie at this, so take it with a grain of salt):

We are bringing a cheapie single umbrella stroller from home and renting a nice single jogging stroller to use at the park. My 3 year old will ride in the jogging stroller and all of our stuff will go underneath in the basket. The umbrella stroller will remain folded up when not in use and can hang on the bar and sit in the basket. If my son wants to ride then we can pull the umbrella stroller out. The jogging stroller also has a parent console (which the umbrella stroller doesn't) that we can put drinks in. If my daughter wants/needs a little catnap then the jogging stroller fully reclines and has a large canopy (it happens to be the same jogger that I own, but I don't want to bring it on the plane/to the park).

So, basically the jogging stroller will serve a few purposes:

• be a stroller for my daughter
  • help to carry an umbrella stroller for my son
  • carry some of our stuff so that we don't have to put it all in a backpack

Hopefully that will work!

Just thought I'd update that this is what we did on our trip and it worked out great! There were a few times that we separated and it was so nice to have separate strollers. Also, with the crowds at DW, it was nice to have the smaller single strollers than a bigger bulky double.

The ONLY thing that I would do differently is not buy a balloon to attach to the stroller so that we could easily find it when we parked it in the stroller parking. I had read somewhere that this was a good thing to do. That balloon kept hitting us in the face as we walked from place to place. And, if we weren't careful, it hit other people, too.

We drove in for the beach for a a day when our daughter was 4.5. I thought it was silly, wife was right (as usual... figure one day I'll learn, eh?).

We're heading back this summer. We'll have access to stroller, now whether its ours or one we rent is open for debate.

What I found out is regardless on child using it, having a rolling "base camp" was wonderful to have. :idea:

Only you know what is best for your daughter. Every child is different. Do what is best for your child and don't give another thought to what others think. It is your holiday and this is the internet. Everyone has an opinion but they won't be there taking care of your child.

Have a great trip.

Only you know what is best for your daughter. Every child is different. Do what is best for your child and don't give another thought to what others think. It is your holiday and this is the internet. Everyone has an opinion but they won't be there taking care of your child.

Have a great trip.

:thumbsup2Exactly what I was going to say!! We used it up until this trip, and DD just turned 6. Did I give one thought to what people thought? NOPE.

Just like everyone vacations differently, everyone has an opinion on strollers.

First off, we were a stroller family. My son LOVED to be catered to and pushed everywhere. Thus when planning our last trip when he was 7 it was a huge debate in our house. - stroll vs walk it buddy!

To make our life and vacation easier, we rented a stroller. Best decision. We didn't use it every day, but on our late nights at EPCOT it was perfect.

We brought our stroller for our 3 1/2 and 5 1/2 year old and we hardly ever used it. We were there 9 days and spend a huge amount of time in the parks. We brought it with us for 2 evening outings and it was nice to have but it was such a hassle. It's not a huge stroller but getting on busses, boats and trains was as pain as was having to go back and get it from it's parking place and push it around empty since my kids never wanted to be in it. I realize that my kids might be unique here but they wanted to explore all the time. I'm not saying that people should not bring strollers but just to consider how your children are at the zoo, etc. I will not be bringing mine again and just rent one if I need it.
Again absolutely not judging anyone who use one at all, just sharing my unexpected experience.

We always brought a cheap umbrella stroller with us. It was easy to fold and was perfect in the evenings when our five year old got tired.

This is exactly what we did. It made it much nicer for everybody. Then once she turned 6 she refused a stroller (unfortunately because she wouldn't last as long in the parks!).

I know this is prob a toss up question, but we have a 5 yr old dd, who is to big to carry and I know she is going to get tired all day in a park, but I'm trying to decide if its absurd to take a stroller to mess with it. What does everyone else do, we don't do rope drops but we are there close to it and prefer not going back to the resort during the day. We have 2 meals planned a day and we do stop for a lunch and snacks mainly for rest.
Hi. My boys were aged 3 and 5 in May of 2013 on our last trip. We rented a double stroller through Orlando Strollers which was delivered and picked up from both resorts we stayed at. We won't go without one to the parks but I didn't want the hassle of traveling with one through the airports. We are going in the Fall and we plan on doing the same. The kids get exhausted. I'd rather have it just in case but you could always rent one at the parks if you want to chance it.

I have a three year old and a five year old and wouldnt ever go on a vacation without a stoller for both kids. my kids do not like to walk and if there wasnt a stroller my kids would be taking off or wanting to be held most the day. But thats just my kids and there personalitys yours may be diffrent. but i would take a stroller just in case you can always leave it in the hotel room if you find out you dont need it after the first day.

I took a double stroller when we went to a theme park with my boys then 8,9, and 2. It helped when grumpy kids that were tired could sit and relax. I wouls suggest a umbrella stroller that reclines in case they nap :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter