Summer Southern California trip, costs, how long to wait due to COVID-19

Raya

DIS Veteran
We are scheduled to take a Disney Cruise we've been looking forward to for years. With the pandemic I'm considering switching to the Southern CA/DL adventure. However, given the fluid situation, I'd want to wait until the 'last minute'. So what is the last minute? 60 days out? Will rates go up considerably between now and then? I'm wondering if there's a timed rate jump, maybe at 120 days out?

There is no timed rate jump. The rates do go up as each departure fills. (The fewer openings there are, the higher the price). I'd suggest calling ABD to find out what their "drop dead" number of days for joining a trip is. They have to have certain details finalized a certain number of days ahead of the trip, and will cut off reservations at that point. It's not 60 days; it may be more like 30 days, or maybe a bit less. And it may vary by itinerary.

Sayhello

Californian here- I would hold off on Southern CA travel right now. Schools like UCLA and many other UCs are closing (going online) and Disneyland might follow suit (close) if this continues.

Californian here- I would hold off on Southern CA travel right now. Schools like UCLA and many other UCs are closing (going online) and Disneyland might follow suit (close) if this continues.
Wow! Thanks for letting me know. There's nothing like that going on in our area yet. 😲

Wow! Thanks for letting me know. There's nothing like that going on in our area yet. 😲

The community college I teach at is meeting today to discuss contingencies for possible closure and there aren't really any cases around here yet.

If schools are closing, theme parks should too.

I wouldn't be shocked if ABD tried to go with the trip even if everything was closed, I mean, there's not a Level 3 alert....

Update: Confirmed cases in county next to mine (10-15 mins from my house. And town 20 mins. away from my work). School says no district travel now outside our "service area" and our local K-12 school district apparently let parents know they are looking at closing. If that happens, my school will most likely close too.

All SO Cal theme parks closed beginning Saturday. Most universities and schools will be closing soon. Theater in LA closed. I wouldn't;t consider a trip out here until late April...

Thanks for your help everyone! It looks my plan probably won't work any better than my cruise. First World Problems for sure.... :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter