SUN disABILITIES

MeganW004

Earning My Ears
Without going into too much detail, my son has a condition that limits his time allowed in the sun, thus increasing his likelihood of developing cancer. However, after the death of my mom, I spontaneously planned a Disney Vacation during the summer for my kids, my dad, and I. That being said, I was wondering if he would qualify for a DAS, that way we as a family could be able to enjoy Disney and keep his sun exposure to a minimum.

I can not use sunscreen and I find omni freeze long slives and Columbia long paints keeps me cooler than just short and short sleves. a wide brim hat will help his face. if he can use sunscreen that would help too

your find most lines inside and under shade I just do not see the DAS helping as much as you would think yu may ask

Seems like a long sleeved shirt and a hat would be way better than a DAS - I don't think it would be issued anyway because the shady spots are mostly inside attractions. But, there are great SPF rated shirts, hats and pants through companies like REI. There's one called a Sahara Sun Hoodie that is 50+ UPF and it covers nearly to the fingertips, add a big hat and you're set. We use something like it for our kid, and like Gap2368 said, covering up can be a lot more comfortable than a tank and shorts when it's that hot.

What is your expectation of what the DAS will do to help?

there are not a lot of shady spots in the Parks, and some lines are only partially in shade. you can schedule park meals to help stay indoors, but only if they are Table Service. which means making an ADR so it really isn't spontaneous.

But it's Florida... it's not under a dome LOL
Additionally to the free ice and free water, check out where the first aid stations and baby care stations are in each Park- they have special CMs to help with any issue.
I agree with the clothing and self-cooling items listed above!

I agree with what others have said, but would that not all the lines are in the shade. I don't think DAS would be the option (even where you enter with DAS can be shadeless.) However, I've found that if I see a line in direct sun that just isn't going to work for us, I talk to the cast member. I'm not saying they can always help, sometimes you just have to come back after the sun goes down, but they may be able to help. I've been given options that worked.

Without going into too much detail, my son has a condition that limits his time allowed in the sun, thus increasing his likelihood of developing cancer. However, after the death of my mom, I spontaneously planned a Disney Vacation during the summer for my kids, my dad, and I. That being said, I was wondering if he would qualify for a DAS, that way we as a family could be able to enjoy Disney and keep his sun exposure to a minimum.

Hi, and first of all, I'm really sorry to hear about your Mom. We went to WDW after we lost my Mom and (spoiler alert) I was in a puddle of tears for the whole trip, because I kept running into memories. It took me a trip or two more before I could go all day without a "tissue alert".

I have PMLE. Basically, in addition to a heightened risk of skin cancer, I get "fun"(<---sarcasm) side effects from sun exposure like raised rash, nearly instantaneous blisters and severe flu-like symptoms that can take up to 2 weeks to clear. I wear long sleeves and long pants all year round, and when I leave the house, I have no unexposed skin - I even wear gloves anytime I am outside the house, including driving. My car has a "prescription" tint on the windows (where we live, it is illegal to have tint that is too dark unless you have a medical condition.) The windows on our home are professionally tinted as well to block the maximum amount of UV bouncing around inside the house now. I joke that I am Queen of the Mole People, because I tend to go shopping in the evening hours, when the sun has gone down, or it is dark outside.

Your son needs clothing with an SPF factor built in. SunBLOCK, not sunscreen. BIG wide brimmed hat (yep, gonna look dorky. Doesn't matter, you are at Disney World, and won't see anyone you know) and a touring plan that focuses on early morning/late afternoons & evenings in the Parks and hanging out somewhere (at the Resort? Go bowling or catch a movie at Disney Springs?) shady from about 11:00 am to at least 4:00 to 6:00 pm, depending on the time of the year. Ideally, you need to schedule the trip for a more "sun friendly" time of year.

Personally, I only go in January because it's the best time for sun-sensitive people at WDW.

If your son really has a serious sun allergy or condition, then he has a dermatologist. You really need to consult with his Derm and work closely with them on a strategy for this.

A DAS won't be helpful to him. As others here have said, it won't provide shade. It's based solely on *why* a Guest cannot wait in a standard line - if the answer is "because he needs to be out of the sun" then there's no real need for a DAS because the queues are (generally speaking) shaded. The exceptions to this are, of course, the new/newer rides that are still very popular; those often have very long lines that extend beyond their shaded queues, even for FP+ and/or DAS Guests.

DAS is not a front-of-the line pass; that no longer exists at WDW. DAS is not a way to skip getting FP+ either; personally I find that FP+ (when used with an appropriate touring plan for me) is a better choice. All DAS does is allow you to wait outside the standard ride queue - you will still have to find adequate shade for him while waiting, and for the more popular rides, you may still experience a wait in a sunny line regardless. DAS just allows people to do the (bulk) of the waiting outside the traditional queue.

I encourage you to work closely with his dermatologist and make sure that you follow those recommendations first and foremost.

I also have problems being in the sun for extended periods. I actually have an alarm set on my phone to let me know when the UV Index hits a particular level. I found some really great products on a site called Solartex. What I like about them especially is that they have clothing for all age groups and sizes (some shirts are up to 8XL). As a Pooh-sized person, I find this a much better option that doing contortions trying to cover my body in sunblock.

Personally, I only go in January because it's the best time for sun-sensitive people at WDW...

I encourage you to work closely with his dermatologist and make sure that you follow those recommendations first and foremost.
Agree with these points! OP, does this trip have to be during summer? Especially since your son is so sun sensitive? And definitely work with his dermatologist to plan the safest trip for your family.

The good thing about summer visits to WDW is that they tend to have longer hours into the night. Plan around that? I have to avoid the sun as well (two rounds of melanoma) and we go in August! No need for a DAS, as the real issue is the exposure you get walking around. Get the SPF clothing, a really good broad rimmed hat, etc. An umbrella works great too, for the head, neck and shoulders, at least. Plan to be at the parks for rope drop, leave when it gets busy, come back when the sun is weaker. We start to go back around 4 PM. The DAS just gives you an alternate place to wait. I've found all the queues to be shaded (except a little bit of Haunted Mansion, so get a FP+ for that!)

Not the same severity as others have described! I have vampire pale skin and lupus, which can be seriously aggravated by UV exposure. I LOVE the Columbia brand sunscreen shirts! And I wear lightweight long skirts in the parks. I am blessed to have an AP and I go 3-4x/year. By 1:00 you will find me back in my hotel room with a book and knitting until 4 pm or so. I've found a UV blocking parasol to be WONDERFUL and cooling!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter