Super Depressed after Trip

Cadets74

Mouseketeer
Hello fellow dads... Anyone get super depressed after their trip? Just a little backstory... When I started this year I had no intention of going to Disney and nothing even in the works... Although I was constantly begged by with and 7 kids I always said we needed more money or needed to wait til the kids get older... I have 5 boys (13, 12, 6, 2, 11 months) and 2 girls (8, 4)... After so friends of our went and I realized I had enough airline miles to fly the family I booked out trip for the first week in April... Told the kids the morning we left and had a wonderful week at Pop Century and 6 park days... I did this trip solely for my wife and kids yet I seem to be the only one who wasn't happy to be home yesterday... I spent the last day of the trip on the verge of tears and as I sat poolside with 3 of my kids on the last night watching "Frozen" I just felt so sick about leaving... Since getting home I don't wanna talk about the trip and anytime it comes up I get choked up... I just opened an email with our memory maker photos and started tearing up again... What the heck is wrong with me?? My wife is fine and she was the one who really really wanted to go... All the school kids were fine and happy to go back to school... I own my own business and have a stack of stuff to do but can't bring myself to go into the office... I'm sitting on the couch in my pjs like a high school girl whose boyfriend just broke up with her... My father in law just called to check up on us and I could barely hold it together talking to him... My problem is I don't know why I am so upset... Before I left I was very happy with everything... I have a good job with lots of freedom, I'm not rich by any means but not struggling... Have a great family and all is good... I don't know if I'm just over-exhausted or what but I have never felt this way before... Although this really was our first real vacation as a family... We had taken a few 3-4 day trips buts nothing like this.... I just keep thinking about the joy on my kids faces and how nice it was to be free of my daily stresses... Please tell me this is normal and that I will snap out of it quickly!! Thanks for letting me vent, i talked to my wife but I think she thinks I'm crazy!!

Hello fellow dads... Anyone get super depressed after their trip? Just a little backstory... When I started this year I had no intention of going to Disney and nothing even in the works... Although I was constantly begged by with and 7 kids I always said we needed more money or needed to wait til the kids get older... I have 5 boys (13, 12, 6, 2, 11 months) and 2 girls (8, 4)... After so friends of our went and I realized I had enough airline miles to fly the family I booked out trip for the first week in April... Told the kids the morning we left and had a wonderful week at Pop Century and 6 park days... I did this trip solely for my wife and kids yet I seem to be the only one who wasn't happy to be home yesterday... I spent the last day of the trip on the verge of tears and as I sat poolside with 3 of my kids on the last night watching "Frozen" I just felt so sick about leaving... Since getting home I don't wanna talk about the trip and anytime it comes up I get choked up... I just opened an email with our memory maker photos and started tearing up again... What the heck is wrong with me?? My wife is fine and she was the one who really really wanted to go... All the school kids were fine and happy to go back to school... I own my own business and have a stack of stuff to do but can't bring myself to go into the office... I'm sitting on the couch in my pjs like a high school girl whose boyfriend just broke up with her... My father in law just called to check up on us and I could barely hold it together talking to him... My problem is I don't know why I am so upset... Before I left I was very happy with everything... I have a good job with lots of freedom, I'm not rich by any means but not struggling... Have a great family and all is good... I don't know if I'm just over-exhausted or what but I have never felt this way before... Although this really was our first real vacation as a family... We had taken a few 3-4 day trips buts nothing like this.... I just keep thinking about the joy on my kids faces and how nice it was to be free of my daily stresses... Please tell me this is normal and that I will snap out of it quickly!! Thanks for letting me vent, i talked to my wife but I think she thinks I'm crazy!!

Bingo....

Somethings are worth the price of admission, and that's it...because at the end of the day, everything else is window dressing.

I'd say it's probably post trip blues, especially if you're working out of the house (and I'm willing to bet you were working pretty hard until you left), and everyone else has gone off and now you're there alone with the memoriespixiedust:

It happens....it won't take long until life will take over again.

Went through the same thing after my first deployment (Iraq). My wife through a big party with my and her family. Then the next day or so, everyone left, wife went back to work and I was left at home by myself thinking "now what".

It will pass...just may take some time:hourglass.

Look on the bright side, you know it can be done now, so now you get to look forward to the next trip, even if it ain't Disney (I know, Blasphemy:lmao:)

Bingo.... Somethings are worth the price of admission, and that's it...because at the end of the day, everything else is window dressing. I'd say it's probably post trip blues, especially if you're working out of the house (and I'm willing to bet you were working pretty hard until you left), and everyone else has gone off and now you're there alone with the memoriespixiedust: It happens....it won't take long until life will take over again. Went through the same thing after my first deployment (Iraq). My wife through a big party with my and her family. Then the next day or so, everyone left, wife went back to work and I was left at home by myself thinking "now what". It will pass...just may take some time:hourglass. Look on the bright side, you know it can be done now, so now you get to look forward to the next trip, even if it ain't Disney (I know, Blasphemy:lmao:)

Ahhh next trip... I was already talking to the wife about it but she wants to put a pool in the backyard... It's so funny cause she was the one begging me for years to do this and now she's already squashing the return :-).... Thanks for the reply and thanks for your service in Iraq!!

Ahhh next trip... I was already talking to the wife about it but she wants to put a pool in the backyard... It's so funny cause she was the one begging me for years to do this and now she's already squashing the return :-).... Thanks for the reply and thanks for your service in Iraq!!

Make it a Disney pool! :thumbsup2

Give her time...:rotfl2:

Seriously, I think the family time is part of it...is for me. Hell I was depressed when me and my 6 year old came back from our fishing trip because it was just he and I and it was awesome.

When I met my girlfriend (now wife) she wanted to go to Disney on vacation and I squashed that idea. We got married and had our first child. My DD was diagnosed with cancer at age 1. After going through surgery, chemo, and finally having her port removed we were able to go on our first family vacation and it was to Disney. I saw the joy in her my girls faces and just being there let us forget our problems. That was it. I was hooked. That was in 2008. We've been to Disney over 10 times since then.

I know exactly what you feel. The best thing to do is relive your trip through your pictures, video, and memories. Remember the joy you and your family was feeling while there and try to capture that every day. I can't imagine what it cost you to take 9 people to Disney but maybe you can secretly start saving towards the next trip and surprise the family. It might motivate you to work harder and you can keep that connection to WDW.

…make sure you keep posting on the DIS and especially the Dads thread. All we do is cry about our last trips and talk about Dole Whips, beer, and bacon. :rolleyes1

Tim

Another dad here echo'ing your normalicy. We took a day trip for our first trip about 6 years ago. I thought it was expensive and crowded. We had fun but it wasn't something I would have wanted to do again. A couple years later DW was diagnosed with cancer. After all the treatments were done and she was fine she wanted to go to Disney to celebrate. It was something I didn't think we could afford but I gave in. We went to Disney for 7 days at Beach Club for our "one and only Disney trip." I wound up being the one that was hooked. For me it was family time in an environment that was conducive for us all to drop everything and just be together as a family. Needless to say it went from being our one and only trip to the first of many. While disney is pricy look for bargains like room or dining discounts. You could also look at renting DVC points. That might be a more affordable way for you to stay and it would give you a kitchen and laundry options too. Also we've found that planning becomes a way to extend the trip. Don't be afraid to start scheduling things well in advance.

Ohh and Disney podcasts are a great way to remember some of the magic. I like Wedway radio (a disney history podcast), Passporter Moms, Mickey miles, Netcot (most of the episodes are 3 or 4 years old) and of course Disdads

Always liked Disney from when I was a kid and my parents took us. It's normal to miss being there when you return. We took our kids for the first time when they were 4 and 6 years old. Have been back every year since. Will be there is August and then a birthday trip with DD and I for her 12th birthday. That is probably the last two trips for a while with college on the horizon and life getting in the way, but I'm sure we'll find the time when the grandkids come in a bazillion years.:rolleyes1

Even though I am a mommy I'm right there with ya. Heck- we are going again in 20 days and I'm already worried about the Disney withdraw:rotfl2:

Our first trip was in Sept. with my two young boys and it really got me hooked.

I will say, after our Sept. trip, saving money for Disney is so much easier- now I could care less about a new designer purse or a bathroom upgrade- I'd rather save for a trip to Disney with my family.

My next strategy with DH is to wait for next fall for Free Dining (fingers crossed). That along with getting our kids all dressed up for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party should get DH sold on the idea again.:thumbsup2

Podcasts and photos are a great way to relive the memories. It is perfectly normal to feel the way you do, I've felt that way too. I think that even when the park is packed and you can't ride anything because of the lines, it is still the best day ever just because you are there.

Went through the same thing after my first deployment (Iraq). My wife through a big party with my and her family. Then the next day or so, everyone left, wife went back to work and I was left at home by myself thinking "now what".

I definitely know the feeling, brother.

Even though I am a mommy I'm right there with ya. Heck- we are going again in 20 days and I'm already worried about the Disney withdraw:rotfl2:

Our first trip was in Sept. with my two young boys and it really got me hooked.

I will say, after our Sept. trip, saving money for Disney is so much easier- now I could care less about a new designer purse or a bathroom upgrade- I'd rather save for a trip to Disney with my family.

My next strategy with DH is to wait for next fall for Free Dining (fingers crossed). That along with getting our kids all dressed up for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party should get DH sold on the idea again.:thumbsup2

That's how I am lol I don't need that I'm saving for Disney.
Our first trip was in march of 2013. It was by far the best family vacation of our lives. We went again in Jan. I can't see us going every year because there is six of us and a whole wide world to see and that's the part that gets to me.
My kids mention Disney every day at least ten times so its always fresh in my memories.
Keep looking at those pics and planning for another trip even if it is 5 years down the road.

Not a guy, but...

It is normal to feel this way after a trip. One of the best "cures" is to have another trip in the works, even if it's a long way off, or a "budget" trip, etc.

For us, and probably for you and many of the rest of us, what it really boils down to is connecting with loved ones in a fun and special way that we don't always get to do during regular, everyday life at home - even when that life is a good life.

It's really as Walt intended it - a place where kids AND PARENTS can have fun together. :wizard: That's what makes it so special.

Can you compromise on the pool so you can afford additional trips? Like maybe an above ground instead of an expensive inground? That's what we did. (The pool is great, too, for families!)

Yeah, sounds about right. The only cure is to plan another trip. pixiedust:

When DW and I were married, we honeymooned at WDW (her idea). It was the first real trip for both of us. Then, after our dds were born, we returned. That was six years after our honeymoon. We started returning every year, and finally, we bought DVC and have been back every year since.

My admiration for running your own business. I am just a cog and don't have the initiative. We bought a resale DVC contract through TSS - 100 points at the Boardwalk - and plan to return annually for the next 30 years. Thus, I get cured one week a year. Good luck.

Yeah, sounds about right. The only cure is to plan another trip. pixiedust: When DW and I were married, we honeymooned at WDW (her idea). It was the first real trip for both of us. Then, after our dds were born, we returned. That was six years after our honeymoon. We started returning every year, and finally, we bought DVC and have been back every year since. My admiration for running your own business. I am just a cog and don't have the initiative. We bought a resale DVC contract through TSS - 100 points at the Boardwalk - and plan to return annually for the next 30 years. Thus, I get cured one week a year. Good luck.

We went on our honeymoon 10 years ago (ds13 and ds12 are my stepsons and they stayed home). On the 2nd day of our 7 day trip we were heading to Crystal Palace to have lunch and my wife started feeling really sick and couldn't walk anymore. So we went back to the hotel and after a few days in the hotel I took her to an urgent care to find out she had mono... We didn't return to the parks the whole trip... So this was our first time back 10 years later... I would love to do DVC... I recently invested some money in a company some people from my father-in-laws church started and if it comes back like we are all hoping, that will be tops of my list (along with a bubble hockey table)... With the family of 9 the villas make since as we are 2 1/2 years from needing 3 rooms to fit the family.

We went on our honeymoon 10 years ago (ds13 and ds12 are my stepsons and they stayed home). On the 2nd day of our 7 day trip we were heading to Crystal Palace to have lunch and my wife started feeling really sick and couldn't walk anymore. So we went back to the hotel and after a few days in the hotel I took her to an urgent care to find out she had mono... We didn't return to the parks the whole trip... So this was our first time back 10 years later... I would love to do DVC... I recently invested some money in a company some people from my father-in-laws church started and if it comes back like we are all hoping, that will be tops of my list (along with a bubble hockey table)... With the family of 9 the villas make since as we are 2 1/2 years from needing 3 rooms to fit the family.

Bubble hockey tables are cool. You do have a big group there, and that space would be nice. Sorry to hear your wife was sick, especially at WDW. My DW had meningitis while she was pregnant with child #2. Both ended up being ok, but it sure was scary.

I think it is normal; we all left depressed after our June trip...fortunately I didn't have time to dwell, as I got told after being back less then a week that I was deploying 1 month early. While I am away, I am planning next years trip!

Always channel that energy into whatever the next trip may be. I just got back from a great weekend in Cooperstown with my daughter for the MLB HOF induction. Now for 4 months I will be focused on my Thanksgiving Disney trip. When I get home on Dec 5th, it will be time to start planning the next trip - wherever that may be!

We loved our first trip and had such an amazing time as a family that we were also bummed to be back home. But we started planning our next trip, and we really love the process. Choosing restaurants, working out our plans on touringplans.com, watching youtube ride videos with the kids. It's a long wait but we try to make it fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!