Super Nintendo World (2020-2021?)

atricks

DIS Veteran
The next big project (not including other rides like fast & furious, a few other unannounced things, and the new hotels) is Super Nintendo World.

Universal Studios in Japan is getting it first, but the other parks, including Orlando, will be getting it shortly thereafter. Orlando will likely have the largest of the areas.

This is a photo of the groundbreaking/announcement stage which they are setting up in Japan. The announcement is scheduled for tomorrow. Although this is for Japan, there is likely going to be some idea of whats coming in Orlando.

Rumored opening for Japan is 2020, and Orlando may be soon after (maybe even later the same year). The Orlando location is rumored to be in the space and adjacent to what is currently Woody Woodpecker's KidZone in the studios.

upload_2017-6-7_12-39-24.jpeg

Hopefully this post will be updated with new info as it comes in.

I really don't think Universal is going to waste something as huge as Super Nintendo World in a mere land added on to an existing park. I feel like it will be their fourth gate. And if that ends up being the case, I don't see any way they get the entire thing done in 2.5 years.

Ya. At this point I think it's too early to definitively know exactly what will happen for Orlando. It really could go one of two ways IMO:

1. As previously rumored, kill the current Kids Zone and put it there.
2. 4th gate, which to me they'd need more than just Nintendo Land. Potentially they could probably create a "Video Game" based 4th gate where one major section could be Nintendo Land, and maybe then get on board with the likes of Blizzard (World of Warcraft)? Minecraft? (although that's owned by MS and don't know how much MS and Nintendo would like being in the same park together) or who know whatever massive VG properties there are they could also partner with.

If they go with #1, then ya perhaps it's feasible if for a 2020 but realistically say 2021. If they go with #2, then a 4th gate would be even longer.

Who knows......

OSAKA- Universal Studios Japan had a ground breaking ceremony for Super Nintendo World, the new themed land that will be opening in 2020 there, Orlando and Hollywood will get it later, (But probably not too much later) There will be differences between the lands in each location, but the major things will all be there.

• The land is budgeted for $60 billion yen ($550million) being t one of the most expensive theme park lands ever created.
  • It is opening in Osaka Japan in 2020.
  • The main attraction will be a Mario Kart attraction.
  • The technology used in it will be the “world’s most advanced technology”.
  • The land will feature shops, restaurants and other rides.
  • The area in Japan will be two stories tall.
  • Super Nintendo World is being built in part of the park’s parking lot.
  • The area is promoted as being “very interactive”
  • Bowser’s Castle (Main baddy in the Mario Games) and Princess Peach’s Castle will both be built.

Last edited:

Didn't see Donkey Kong anywhere. Hopefully that's still part of the plan.

I don't think they are announcing everything yet, and the artwork was very careful not to show certain parts I noticed. Donkey Kong was one ride, and there were rumors of expansions for other nintendo properties. (Orlando will likely get the main part in Studios and more later in the new park they are rumored to be building on the land near the Convention center)

Here's more of the ceremony itself (In Japanese of course)

Last edited:
OK ... some clarity then ... kind of.

At a budget of $550 million that's not a full blown new gate per se. That makes a lot of the infrastructure issues easier to deal with and probably would allow for fairly rapid construction times ... similar to Diagon alley or Hogsmeade in duration. I do wonder how this would effect the current balance between the two parks. Throw this into Studios and you'd really make that park super congested compared to IOA.

OK ... some clarity then ... kind of.

At a budget of $550 million that's not a full blown new gate per se. That makes a lot of the infrastructure issues easier to deal with and probably would allow for fairly rapid construction times ... similar to Diagon alley or Hogsmeade in duration. I do wonder how this would effect the current balance between the two parks. Throw this into Studios and you'd really make that park super congested compared to IOA.

Right. Current scope for Japan is similar in size to say the expansions they did for Diagon or Hogsmeade. And I agree, if done at Studios, it stacks that park more heavily vs. IOA. IOA has only got Kong since Hogsmeade. Whereas Studios since that time got Diagon (New Land + Gringotts as new ride), and new rides of Fallon and Fast & Furious coming next year.

If I had my choice, I'd level the Lost Continent and put it there perhaps. But then that means we lose Mythos....

Edit: They'd likely also need to level Drago Challenge, but I believe it's rumored that is shutting down later this year anyway to make more room for additional Potter stuff too.

Last edited:
Thematically, as a "land", it fits at Islands of ADVENTURE much better than Universal Studios. However, I really think the most obvious choice in Orlando is a standalone park. Like Volcano Bay. It really wouldn't be that hard to create a SMALL "fourth gate" dedicated to Nintendo. Then they could get away with charging $100/day to enter if they wanted to (people would pay it).

Thematically, as a "land", it fits at Islands of ADVENTURE much better than Universal Studios. However, I really think the most obvious choice in Orlando is a standalone park. Like Volcano Bay. It really wouldn't be that hard to create a SMALL "fourth gate" dedicated to Nintendo. Then they could get away with charging $100/day to enter if they wanted to (people would pay it).

They would have to make it MUCH more expansive than the current design's released to warrant a 4th gate IMO (obviously). And as I noted in a previous post, I think they'd have to bring on board more video game companies/properties and build a more diverse "Video Games" themed park rather than just trying a full park dedicated only to Nintendo IP to draw the masses and justify the $100 price tag of a 4th gate.

They would have to make it MUCH more expansive than the current design's released to warrant a 4th gate IMO (obviously). And as I noted in a previous post, I think they'd have to bring on board more video game companies/properties and build a more diverse "Video Games" themed park rather than just trying a full park dedicated only to Nintendo IP to draw the masses and justify the $100 price tag of a 4th gate.
I dunno. I think Nintendo IP is probably diverse enough to build a whole park. You don't have to confine yourself to screen type rides and video game interactive stuff. You can go full kiddie ride section with small lifts and kid coasters and a wheel ride and then throw in a few full blown roller coasters based off of Mario Kart, Super Mario and Donkey Kong. IMO you could easily coax 10 or 15 teen/adult rides, a kiddie area, 3 or 4 restaurants, a parade and a couple of shows out of the full Nintendo library. It would be exceptionally focused, but let's face it ... combine the two Potter areas and add a few extras and you'd easily be in full Park territory.

Oh, I agree that Nintendo has enough different IP to build a 4th gate. I'd be all over it as I'm a huge Nintendo NUT and could picture in my mind a full Theme park. You'd Have your Mario Land/Mushroom Kingdom. You'd have DK's Jungle. You'd have an absolutely crazy Hyrule. A whole futuristic/Sci-Fi Metroid World, an Animal Crossing Village, Pokemon Land (although technically not Nintendo IP, It's Nintendo partnered) ...... It would be beyond glorious (for me).

But I don't know that it's the best choice necessarily from a business standpoint to do so. There are plenty of people out there who don't care for Nintendo at all, so an entire theme park dedicated to just Nintendo IP limits the amount of potential visitors interested in going.

I thought the rumor was the land they bought that is caught up in the lawsuit was going to be the 4th gate with Nintendo Land being a huge presence there. Is that no longer the rumor?

I thought the rumor was the land they bought that is caught up in the lawsuit was going to be the 4th gate with Nintendo Land being a huge presence there. Is that no longer the rumor?

There are many rumors out there. But that's just it, they're all rumors.

It's the world of internet "journalism" where anyone with a blog with enough followers can report something with a "sources close to the situation....". There's so much of it out there that you don't really know what is potentially real and what isn't.

The most sites I've read over the last 6 months related to Nintnedo land have seemed to point to Kids Zone. But who knows.

Probably both at Studios and the new park (ala potter in two parks)

Anymore chatter as far as the WNW property? Still going with the huge value hotel?

Thought there were 2 hotels planned, one across the street where the parking lot is? Thought I read somewhere the other day they had submitted designs to the city for approval.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!