surreptitiously filmed movie debuts at Sundance

From The AV Club (avclub.com):

"The safest bet on an unrepeatable experience at Sundance this year is Escape From Tomorrow (A-), a movie shot guerilla-style inside the Magic Kingdom. That’s a bet, however, I’d be delighted to lose, since Randy Moore’s first feature is a sui generis work of art that deserves an audience every bit as devoted, if substantially more select than, as The Little Mermaid. The movie begins with an ironic twist on the perfect family vacation, as dad Roy Abramsohn rises for his last day at the park to find out he’s been fired from his job. But the demons menacing him soon manifest themselves more literally: the “Small World” marionettes hiss at him with bared fangs, and “Space Mountain” threatens swift decapitation.

"With a Disney lawsuit all but certain—an audience member informed Moore during the Q&A that one was already in progress, although I haven’t seen confirmation elsewhere—Escape has drawn a few comparisons to Todd Haynes’ samizdat Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story. But the likeness goes deeper than mere provocation. Like Haynes, Moore is waging an all-out assault on a cultural icon, flipping the polarities so what normally attracts repulses, and vice-versa. Its extralegal production style, which required substantial rerecording of dialogue and the use of green screen, lends a sense of disassociation more akin to Haynes’ Poison, which like Escape is essentially a semiotics thesis masquerading as a loose narrative. It has plenty of rough edges, but its climax hits like a confetti-filled shotgun."

That sounds fascinating. I wonder how widely circulated it will get before Disney shuts it down.

I heard about this on NPR yesterday. I doubt any of us will ever get a chance to see it, but it sounds very interesting.

I read a plot summary of the movie today after seeing something about it on Twitter and I want to see the film so badly now. Escape From Tomorrow takes some pretty crazy twists and I would love to see the parks in a dark and surreal way. With all of the hype that this film is getting it seems like it could possibly be good publicity if Disney were to allow it to continue to be screened but that may just be my intense desire to see this thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter