SW dolphin swim ?

cfrith

Mouseketeer
Do you think it would be mean to our 4 yr old dd to let our 7 yr old dd do the Dolphin swim at SW san diego? I don't know how long it lasts, but if we did it would be myself and dd7 and then dh and dd4 would take pictures (if they are allowed in that area???) Also, does anyone know how good of a swimmer you must be to do this? Any info about what they do and how long it lasts would be great!!!

You don't actually get to swim with the dolphins. You put on a wetsuit and get in the water with them, but there's a ledge in the water that you stand on. The trainer shows you what cues to give them and you get to participate in a training session. You'll get to give them fish, ice or squid as a reward and they'll take a picture of you with the dolphin that you can buy later. It's an area where you DH and other DD can stand near so they also could take pictures.

wow that does not seem as good as I thought it would be, since you don't really get to swim with them , maybe one of the other behind the scenes tours that you could all do would be better , with no hurt feelings.

I still think that sounds pretty awesome, especially for a young child! Definitely something she would remember for the rest of her life! How expensive is it?

$150 per person. Kids must be 6 yrs old and I think 44". Yeah, that doesn't seem like very much for $150! But I might be a little worried if she was actually swimming out there. She has just started swimming all by herself so unless she had some floatation device... But yes, it would still be an amazing experience. Maybe we'll wait 2 years until dd4 is 6.

Please do a little research about this before you decide to do it. Once they learn about it, most people feel that holding dolphins in captivity for attractions like this exploits the dolphins. Dolphins want to swim free in the ocean with their pod-families, not be held captive in small pools to perform tricks for humans for big bucks. For a good article from a respected source, go to the humane society webpage and put dolphins in the search box. (HSUS dot org) :fish:

DeniseMousketeer said:
Please do a little research about this before you decide to do it. Once they learn about it, most people feel that holding dolphins in captivity for attractions like this exploits the dolphins. Dolphins want to swim free in the ocean with their pod-families, not be held captive in small pools to perform tricks for humans for big bucks. For a good article from a respected source, go to the humane society webpage and put dolphins in the search box. (HSUS dot org) :fish:

I do agree, it is sad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter